SecularMerlin
somerandomvideocreator

Wouldn't it be cool to have superpowers?

SecularMerlin

Con

Superpowers come with super disadvantages. The only rule is you only get one theoretical superpower at a time, you're not theoretical superman.
somerandomvideocreator

Pro

My superpower is going to be the ability to acquire any superpower I want. :)
SecularMerlin

Con

In that case you suffer from the disadvantages of whichever power you are using at the time (remember I specifically said you can only use one power at a time) so all you've done is pushing back the debate a step.
somerandomvideocreator

Pro

Okay, then. List the disadvantages for some superpowers:

- Super Speed / Strength (but only when you want it)
- Teleportation
- Flight
- Enhanced Vision (but only when you want it)
SecularMerlin

Con

- Super Speed: have you ever run into a brick wall face first? Have you ever punched a brick wall as hard as you can? You don't get to be invulnerable too. Depending on the degree of super speed the friction of the air may cause you to burst into flames. Oh and you would pass out if you ran to fast for the same reason fighter pilots do while flying too fast. That's true even if you can turn it on and off.
- Super Strength: whenever you have it turned on you'd have to be careful not to crush any object you handled or seriously hurt anyone you touch. As a practical aside at some point more super strength becomes mostly academic as after a certain point the larger objects would just fall apart under their own weight (mountains buildings etc.)
- Teleportation: mostly an existential problem but how could you ever be sure it was really you again after teleporting just once. It could drive you mad wondering if you still have the same for lack of a better word soul or if you were a clone of some kind. That's if you don't accidentally teleport all or part of yourself into a solid object.
- Flight: flight means no super speed (remember just one at a time) that means the best speed you can maintain is your normal speed, and if you consider that you swim slower than you can run (because of relative density and friction) then you might be "swimming" through the air terribly slowly. One thing it would accomplish however would be to make you an obvious (and slowly moving) target.
- Enhanced Vision: last one and I'm going to have to ask for some clarification. Enhanced in what way? You don't get microscopic and telescopic. You don't get night vision and xray vision .
somerandomvideocreator

Pro

Sure, let's go with good night vision. However, clearly, it only works during the night.

Basically, you can see as well during the night as you can during the day. That is your superpower. What are the downsides?
SecularMerlin

Con

Ah night vision. Hardly even a power so the disadvantages are less pronounced. Do you know why cats have slit pupils? It's because their eyes are so sensitive to light that if they were designed differently the cat would be mostly blind in the daylight. So this time you get your choice of disadvantages. Either strange cat eyes or painful light sensitivity. Thankfully for night vision you the more minor the power the less extreme the disadvantages.

My only power is spotting the disadvantages of other people's super powers. The disadvantage is that I'm not super popular in the hall of justice.
somerandomvideocreator

Pro

What about an eye whose sensitivity changes depending on the amount of light present? Pupils dilate if there is less light, but contract if there is more light. Think of night vision as a more extreme version. During daylight, your vision is normal. During the night, your eyes are more sensitive.
SecularMerlin

Con

Light is detectable to the eye by a process in which photons collide with receptors in the cones and rods. Your rods would have been much more numerous. Cats for example have six to eight times the rods that humans possess. Your pupils would have to get really small. Now the less pronounced your ability the less pronounced this effect, but it would likely be observable. Sounds like a situation you could adapt to ( polarized sunglasses etc.) just a minor disadvantage to go with a minor power.
somerandomvideocreator

Pro

It depends on how you define a minor power. It seems like a pretty helpful power. To be fair, it is not as interesting or cool as other superpowers, but it has fewer disadvantages.

If I could choose to have it or not, I would probably prefer to have it than not, so...
Posted by Freddy.Kruger 5 months ago
Freddy.Kruger
what do you mean what my debate is about its about which game is better 1 or 2
Posted by Freddy.Kruger 5 months ago
Freddy.Kruger
Posted by Freddy.Kruger 5 months ago
Freddy.Kruger
Posted by Freddy.Kruger 5 months ago
Freddy.Kruger
Posted by Freddy.Kruger 5 months ago
Freddy.Kruger
Posted by Freddy.Kruger 5 months ago
Freddy.Kruger
Posted by Freddy.Kruger 5 months ago
Freddy.Kruger
Posted by mcdonjac 7 months ago
mcdonjac
if your superpower is having any super power and you can only have one super power at a time then you would never have a real superpower.