dragonb95
Controverter

Wrestling should not be an Olympic Sport

dragonb95
Started: 3/31/2013 Category: Sports

dragonb95

Con

Hey all. I have a debate for school that really has me stumped. "Wrestling should not be an olympic sport". Now, I have my con contentions down no problem.
1. Wrestling is the foundation of olympic sport
2. Wrestling is a classic test of endurance and strength
I will find more.

But for pro, I have no arguments at all. Why on earth should it not be an olympic sport? It seems to me that the only reason it was removed for the 2020 olympics is because it got bad TV ratings. Clearly this is not a good contention. Does anybody have any ideas? I tried the forum but didn't get any feedback. I know you guys are an awesome community and I thought you might have ideas.

Nobody vote on this debate. Just accept and post some ideas, or if someone already has just post it in the comments. Thanks!
Controverter

Pro

The Olympics is no longer about contact sports and we have become civilised to move away from primitive times.
Posted by Controverter 4 years ago
Controverter
Wrestling is so primitive that even a gorilla can thrash a man at it.
Posted by dragonb95 4 years ago
dragonb95
i dont want controverter to lose because I said to him that people would not vote. really though thanks for the input roylathams it will help me a lot.
Posted by dragonb95 4 years ago
dragonb95
thanks roylatham. if you could counter some of your votes though so that we both have one point that would be great. I posted this not for a winner but for ideas.
Posted by dragonb95 4 years ago
dragonb95
I ASKED YOU GUYS NOT TO VOTE. for gods sake someone counter the votes.
Posted by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
The arguments I've heard against wrestling are that the Olympics are so large and expensive, that sports that raise revenue for the Olympics have to be preferred over those of lesser interest. Wrestling has lots of classes and competing nations so it's expensive to stage, while it doesn't get many viewers. Sports at the professional and Olympic levels is done for entertainment, not to give athletes exercise. the Olympics has (foolishly) decided that sports ought to have equal men's and women's events, and wrestling doesn't fit that new theory too well.

I don't much care, but it seems to me that wrestling is a core part of the Olympic tradition and ought to be preserved.

Here is the Martin Short et al promotion of men's synchronized swimming:
http://vimeo.com...

We are now at the pint where it's being promoted http://www.grantland.com... real They say it is no joke. I disagree.
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
Damn, if you were "Pro" I would have accepted the hell out of this.
Vote Placed by AnthonyM 4 years ago
AnthonyM
dragonb95ControverterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con is right. Contact sports do not equate to primitive culture.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
dragonb95ControverterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Why waste everyone's time with a one-round non-debate? I'm dinging Con on conduct for proposing the non-debate. Pro didn't make a case that contact sports are not in the Olympics -- sports like water polo, boxing, and judo are still in. Con's arguments were ignored by Pro.