Shawnewise
Awesome-Sauce

Wrist wathes are better in general than wall clocks

Awesome-Sauce

Shawnewise

Pro

The wrist watch is better in general than the wall watch
Awesome-Sauce

Con

I accept this debate and will be debating that the wall clock, which is what I'm guessing my opponent meant when he said wall watch, is better than the wrist watch.

Cons of wearing a wrist watch

• Appearance. Many wrist watches either appear to look dorky or are excessively bulky. If you want a wrist watch that looks stylish, you have to be willing to pay a ridiculous amount for it.
  • Tan lines. If you do wish to wear a wrist watch at all times, good luck in the summer time. Watches can create really really stupid looking tan lines.
  • Comfort. When it is really hot outside, you sweat like crazy where the watch is around your wrist, causing discomfort. The watch can also be either too tight or too loose on your wrist, causing either a feeling of losing circulation in your hand or turning around on your hand so you can never even see the watch anyway. This can lead to annoying the heck out of whoever is wearing the watch
  • Size. Whereas wall clocks are very easy to read, wrist watches can be difficult to decipher either because of their smaller size or because of a glare caused by the sun when you're outside. Bottom line, wall clocks are easier to see.

Pro of wearing a wrist watch

The only real advantage of wearing a wrist watch is the portability of the watch. Wall clocks can't be carried around with you like a wrist watch can. However, cell phones have a clock on them. Some 85% of adults overall own cell phones overall (http://www.enterthenet.com...). Why use a wrist watch while you can just pull out your cell phone and check the time if you need it? Cell phones do not provide any of the cons a wrist watch does.

A wall clock is better overall than the wrist watch. The main function of both of these devices is to tell time. Both the wall clock and the wrist watch serve this purpose. When the wall clock and the wrist watch are compared to each other, one discovers that the wrist watch brings a lot of hassles and disadvantages to the table that the wall clock simply doesn't.

Wrist watches can look dorky - wall clocks are not worn personally by people so the appearance of the wall clock becomes irrelevant.

Wrist watches can cause stupid looking tan lines - wall clocks do no such thing.

Wrist watches can be very uncomfortable to wear - wall clocks are not worn, therefore they do not cause discomfort

Wrist watches can be difficult to read, either because of size or because of glare from the sun - wall clocks are significantly larger than wrist watches making the clock easier to read, and wall clocks are positioned inside, eliminating any glare from the sun

The only advantage the wrist watch has over the wall clock is portability, and I have already shown that the cell phone can easily eliminate this advantage. Even if one does not have a cell phone, the cons alone to the wrist watch are sufficient enough to ensure that wall clocks are in fact better than wrist watches.

Vote Con!
Shawnewise

Pro

I assume you just summed up your whole debate in just the first round. Regardless lets begin.

Counter Examples

appearance of a wrist watch does not have to be dorky or excessively bulky, which ever appearance or style suits you.

Most wrist watches are not really expensive there is a variety, like I stated whichever suits you.

Watches do not create, tan lines. there is a huge difference from create than support. Usually you can wear a rubber clip watch which does not cause hand markings.

Like stated previously there is different watch clips. rubber, steel, aluminum, act. Outside is one of the main reasons to wear a wrist watch, because there is no wall clocks outside.

There are some digital wacthes which tell the time straight forth without reading the times.

This debate is on the wall clock and wrist watch, the cell phone is irrelevant in this debate. so basically since you stated
"Why use a wrist watch while you can just pull out your cell phone and check the time if you need it? Cell phones do not provide any of the cons a wrist watch does."

Then this also means you could just check your cell phone instead of wall clock... point conceded

All the pionts you have made are disregarded

More indormation in later rounds
Awesome-Sauce

Con

"appearance of a wrist watch does not have to be dorky or excessively bulky, which ever appearance or style suits you."

It doesn't HAVE to be dorky or bulky, but it CAN be. Take a look at this watch - (http://3.bp.blogspot.com...) Who would wear this?

"Most wrist watches are not really expensive there is a variety, like I stated whichever suits you."

Sure you can get a dorky velcro watch for $15 but if you want something stylish with a good brand name, you can end up paying at least $100

"Watches do not create, tan lines. there is a huge difference from create than support. Usually you can wear a rubber clip watch which does not cause hand markings."

Ok I don't think you understand my point. Wearing a wrist watch consistently in the sunlight will eventually lead to tan lines. It's like sunglasses. If you wear the same sunglasses consistently outdoors in the sunlight, you will get tan lines on your face from them.

"Like stated previously there is different watch clips. rubber, steel, aluminum, act. Outside is one of the main reasons to wear a wrist watch, because there is no wall clocks outside."

All right there are different materials a wrist watch can be made out of........... what point does that prove? Ok you can wear a wrist watch outside. But once again you have a clock on a cell phone that basically everyone carries around with them anyway, making the portability of the wrist watch irrelevant.

"There are some digital wacthes which tell the time straight forth without reading the times."

Digital watches display the time in numbers rather than a traditional watch, but reading the watch can still be hard to do when you take into account the size of the watch and the glare caused by the sun.

This debate is on the wall clock and wrist watch, the cell phone is irrelevant in this debate. so basically since you stated, "Why use a wrist watch while you can just pull out your cell phone and check the time if you need it? Cell phones do not provide any of the cons a wrist watch does."

So my opponent says that the cell phone is irrelevant in this debate, and then tries to use the cell phone to support his case. The cell phone is relevant in this debate because it effectively removes the ONLY advantage the wrist watch brings to the table - portability. Even if you don't factor in the cell phone and give the wrist watch the advantage of portability, the wrist watch still has so many disadvantages that do more than cancel out its only advantage.

My case has been successfully defended from my opponent's attacks. My opponent will supposedly provide more info in the next round, so I await my opponent.

Vote Con!
Shawnewise

Pro

What really urges me is that you use all of my main points to support your debate, this lack of support and reasoning show your weak level of debating. Moving on, like I stated I like normal watches, my brother likes the big face watch, this shows that some people will wear Whichever watch suits them. By using the word dorky this is your opinion, not reality.

For the tan lines, they can easily be removes without trouble, and it depends on your skin color.

By reusing the fact of the cell phone is very irrelevant, which you do not seem to understand. Stating the fact that while outside you can just use the clock on your cell phone, but this debate is specifically on the wrist watch and clock.

There will never be a watch that is to small in size to read all watches if hand or digital, will be readable.

So my opponent says that the cell phone is irrelevant in this debate, and then tries to use the cell phone to support his case. The cell phone is relevant in this debate because it effectively removes the ONLY advantage the wrist watch brings to the table - portability. Even if you don't factor in the cell phone and give the wrist watch the advantage of portability, the wrist watch still has so many disadvantages that do more than cancel out its only advantage

The cell phone which my opponent fails to understand does not remove the only advantage to the watch over the wall clock.

Advantages

The watch has many different designs.

The watch is a very popular fashion trend and goes good with formal dressing.

Watches come in many different colors and shapes.

If you have noticed the watch brings out a huge x factor to your whole look.

watches fit almost every occasion, formal, classic, casual.

Pros of watches

Some can be worn under water

Others are shock resistant.

Most can produce the specific date

Some can show times world wide, For example some can show the time in New York, while you can be millions of miles away.

The stop watch which is a huge advantage

Some watches has a light which, of course if you are surrounded by darkness you can turn on the light to see the time.

Rarely but surely some watches can make phone calls.

Some watches has a calculator

Most has an alarm

Vote pro

Awesome-Sauce

Con

"What really urges me is that you use all of my main points to support your debate, this lack of support and reasoning show your weak level of debating."

Wait..... If I can use the points I made in round one to support my argument AND the points you are making to support my argument, doesn't that mean I have skill as a debater? Hmmm.... Anyway, I urge a conduct vote for Con because my opponent's rude remark has just hurt my feelings.... *sniffle*

"Moving on, like I stated I like normal watches, my brother likes the big face watch, this shows that some people will wear Whichever watch suits them. By using the word dorky this is your opinion, not reality."

You don't talk at all about the price involved. For a more stylish, "cool" looking watch you are going to have to be prepared to pay more. Now before you say that it's just my opinion, let me point out that paying more for something that is of better quality and of better appearance applies to everything. Can you go to a car lot and buy a BMW for the same price as the used rusty car with 100,000 miles on it? No. Better quality, better style, better looks = paying more. And why spend that money on a wrist watch when it comes with the disadvantages I already pointed out AND when other devices can serve the same purpose???

"For the tan lines, they can easily be removes without trouble, and it depends on your skin color."

Tan lines from a wrist watch could only be removed if you stop wearing the wrist watch. Every single person can get tan lines.

"By reusing the fact of the cell phone is very irrelevant, which you do not seem to understand. Stating the fact that while outside you can just use the clock on your cell phone, but this debate is specifically on the wrist watch and clock."

I am pointing out other devices that are very common and used very often that cancel out the ONLY advantage a wrist watch has (portability). And I have also pointed out many times that even if you factor out the cell phone, the wrist watch still has a bunch of disadvantages that alone should discourage one from purchasing one.

"There will never be a watch that is to small in size to read all watches if hand or digital, will be readable."

I'm not saying that wrist watches are impossible to read, I'm saying that watches can be difficult to read. This is caused either by the size of the watch or the glare caused by the sun if the watch is used outdoors. My opponent has not taken any measures to refute these two points, he just says that all watches will be readable. Extend these arguments.

"The cell phone which my opponent fails to understand does not remove the only advantage to the watch over the wall clock."

My opponent is attempting to refute my point of using a cell phone to substitute any need for a wrist watch. So I'm guessing that my opponent is now agreeing that the cell phone is in fact relevant to this debate :)

"The watch has many different designs."

Yes it does, but as I've stated, the better designs come at a price. And why pay the price when the watch is simply not needed

"The watch is a very popular fashion trend and goes good with formal dressing."

I have seen not one person at my school wearing a watch. My parents don't even wear watches anymore. The fancy watches look good with formal dressing sure. But they cost a lot - over $100 in most cases

"Watches come in many different colors and shapes."

Doesn't this go along with the design....? Cross-apply

"If you have noticed the watch brings out a huge x factor to your whole look."

*cough* opinion *cough*.... Oh man I can't even count the times where I saw a person wearing a watch standing next to a person not wearing a watch and saying to myself, "Wow that watch really is an x factor to the whole look"

"watches fit almost every occasion, formal, classic, casual."

Sure.

"Some can be worn under water"

Expensive.

"Others are shock resistant."

Finally - a watch I can wear while getting electrocuted!

"Most can produce the specific date"

Wow so can a cell phone... Imagine that. And so can a calendar, a WALL CLOCK, any computer.... that really is a unique advantage that only a wrist watch has

"Some can show times world wide, For example some can show the time in New York, while you can be millions of miles away."

Expensive watches do this. And I've always found myself wondering what time it is in Timbuktu.... What is the value of this advantage exactly?

"The stop watch which is a huge advantage"

Cell phones have stop watches

"Some watches has a light which, of course if you are surrounded by darkness you can turn on the light to see the time."

Or I could use my cell phone to see the time, and guess what! It lights up by itself!

"Rarely but surely some watches can make phone calls."

Silly me. Those watches SURELY are more common than cell phones right?

"Some watches has a calculator"

So does a cell phone... Just out of curiosity, how many times have you absolutely NEEDED to use a calculator and wished you had a watch for it??

"Most has an alarm"

*yawn* so does a cell phone

My opponent has tried to attack my points with weak attacks that I have successfully defended against. My opponent then goes on to try to offer up more "advantages" that the wrist watch holds. All of these advantages were either VERY expensive or not at all unique to the wrist watch.

My opponent is trying to assign some significance, some value, to having a wrist watch by bringing up these "advantages". The simple fact is that the significance or value to the wrist watch that my opponent is trying to find simply isn't there. The wrist watch barely has ANY unique advantages, or advantages that only the wrist watch has. And these very few advantages involve spending a lot of money on a watch.

As I have pointed out, the only major advantage brought to the table by the wrist watch is portability. I have negated this advantage by using the cell phone to offer up a far greater alternative to the ONLY advantage of the wrist watch. My opponent first said that the cell phone was irrelevant to this debate, and then attempts to refute it later. So the cell phone MUST be relevant in this debate.

I have proven that wall clocks are better than wrist watches not by pointing out many advantages that the wall clock has, but by pointing out the many disadvantages that the wrist watch has AND by negating any advantage the watch has. Those disadvantages for the watch still stand, and they include cost for appearance, tan lines, comfort issues (which my opponent has yet to refute) and size issues.

Because the wrist watch possesses all of these cons, while the wall clock doesn't, then the wall clock is better overall than the wrist watch.

Vote Con!
Shawnewise

Pro

Again with the cell phone, and again with all my .
My inexperienced opponent has no advantage to prove over the wall clock. all he can use is so can a cell phone, which again and I repeat over and over is specifically irrelevant.

Cell phones have stop watches

"Some watches has a calculator"

"Most has an alarm"

*yawn* so does a cell phone

these are the points my lousy opponent made, he is defending his case on the cell phone, WHEN THE DEBATE IS ON WRIST WATHES AND WALL CLOCKS.

this is the lack of research, experience and thought which my opponent lacks to show by repeating all my comments and made points. He has no advantage over a useless wall clock, which simply displays time in a boring matter.

Reasons for voting pro

1. Con was excessively using the term so can a cell phone.

2. Con, throat the debate used all my points to debate his case because he did not have the research

3. Con was saying my advantages was not unique while the wall clock has none.

4. Con did not show any advantage except the tan lines, and the infect with the sun light on the watch.

5. Con lacked research

Awesome-Sauce

Con

"Again with the cell phone, and again with all my . My inexperienced opponent has no advantage to prove over the wall clock. all he can use is so can a cell phone, which again and I repeat over and over is specifically irrelevant."

Inexperienced? I think you're going to make me cry.... (sarcasm)

The cell phone is only a PART of my argument. The cell phone IS relevant because it can replace the only advantage the wrist watch has over the wall clock, negating that advantage. By the way, my opponent even agreed the cell phone relevant when you attempted to refute it. My opponent said and I quote, "The cell phone which my opponent fails to understand does not remove the only advantage to the watch over the wall clock." And then my opponent tried to bring up other "advantages" that a wrist watch has and that a cell phone doesn't have. By attempting to refute my cell phone argument you effectively are agreeing on its relevance to the debate.

(lists some of my refutations involving the cell phone) "these are the points my lousy opponent made, he is defending his case on the cell phone, WHEN THE DEBATE IS ON WRIST WATHES AND WALL CLOCKS."

YES THE DEBATE IS ON WRIST WATCHES AND WALL CLOCKS I'M PERFECTLY AWARE. The cell phone is still a factor in this debate as I've said before. And I've also stated many many times that EVEN IF THE CELL PHONE ISN'T A FACTOR IN THIS DEBATE, THE WALL CLOCK IS STILL BETTER OVERALL THAN THE WRIST WATCH BECAUSE THE WRIST WATCH HAS SO MANY DISADVANTAGES. My opponent has decided to call me "inexperienced" and "lousy" and tries to say that my argument COMPLETELY relies on the cell phone argument. This is not true at all. The cell phone helps my argument a lot, but even without it, voters should still vote Con because I showed the many downsides the wrist watch has while the wall clock has 0 of those downsides.

"this is the lack of research, experience and thought which my opponent lacks to show by repeating all my comments and made points. He has no advantage over a useless wall clock, which simply displays time in a boring matter."

This is starting to get funny. Now I lack research (when did my opponent do research on this debate), experience (wow my opponent has been on the site 3 days more than I have) and thought (while my opponent throws lame insults at me instead of trying to back up his argument for the wrist watch - that's great thought on his part)

"1. Con was excessively using the term so can a cell phone."

The cell phone removes the only real advantage the wrist watch has. My argument does not completely rely on the cell phone anyway

"2. Con, throat the debate used all my points to debate his case because he did not have the research"

I don't know what throat the debate is, and I find it very humorous that my opponent is saying I did not have research when this debate requires absolutely no research. It's on watches and clocks.... come on now. Oh but my opponent provided an abundant amount of research.... (sarcasm)

"3. Con was saying my advantages was not unique while the wall clock has none."

Actually the wall clock is easier to read - that's an advantage. The wrist watch comes with so many disadvantages that even if the wall clock had no advantage it would still be better overall simply because the wrist watch has so many cons.

"4. Con did not show any advantage except the tan lines, and the infect with the sun light on the watch."

What does this even mean? I showed those DISadvantages for the wrist watch in this debate along with many others.

"5. Con lacked research"

Oh yeah because Pro just overwhelmed this debate with research on his part (sarcasm)

All right since my opponent addressed only the cell phone part of my argument and nothing else in the last round, that leaves dropped points. I'll just move in to the reasons to vote Con.

Reasons for voting Con

1. The wrist watch has so many downsides, whereas the wall clock has none of those downsides. I'll list the downsides to the wrist watch again
  • Cost for style - a wrist watch of good style and quality can be quite expensive. My opponent never addressed the cost factor, just that there are different kinds of wrist watches. Extend
  • Causing tan lines - wearing a wrist watch outdoors consistently causes stupid looking tanlines on your wrist. My opponent never effectively refuted this, just says that tan lines can be "removed"
  • Discomfort - wrist watches can be too loose, too tight, and when it's worn in hot weather, sweat builds up under the band of the watch, causing discomfort. My opponent NEVER addressed this disadvantage.
  • Readability - a wrist watch can be hard to read either because of size or because of glare caused from the sun outdoors. My opponent even said I prove this disadvantage in his reasons for voting Pro
ALL of these disadvantages were dropped at the end by my opponent, so really all of them should be extended

2. My opponent was not professional at all in this debate. I know I became sarcastic, but only after my opponent called me a "weak level debater". My opponent went on with his lame insults, like "inexperienced" and "lousy". Therefore I urge a conduct vote for Con because my opponent did not remain professional at all.

3. The wall clock is in fact better in general than the wrist watch. I have shown the many disadvantages that the wrist watch has. I have also shown that the cell phone eliminates the portability of the wrist watch, which is the only potential good thing the wrist watch has. I have proven not that the wall clock is absolutely fantastic, but that the wrist watch is so bad that it is worse than the wall clock. Therefore the wall clock is better than the wrist watch.

Vote Con!
Posted by Oryus 4 years ago
Oryus
Spell check. It's probably a good idea. :P
Vote Placed by InVinoVeritas 4 years ago
InVinoVeritas
ShawnewiseAwesome-SauceTied
Reasons for voting decision: See title of debate. "wathes." Enough said.