massvideogamer
solo

Writing an 18 page paper for an 8th Grade assignment due two weeks after it is assigned is right

Con Tied Pro

massvideogamer

Con

We are only in eighth grade, and they expect us to write an 18 page paper due in like two weeks after they assigned it to us, it is due next week, and none of us are done, and we have been working like crazy
solo

Pro

Thanks for the debate, massvideogamer. Best of luck!

The education system in the USA is actually very laid back compared to the rest of the world to the point that it's laughed at by many for its ridiculousness.

I could write an eighteen-page report in a single night when I was in eighth grade, so I am not sure what your point is here. You obviously are not working like crazy, as you state, if you have time to initiate and engage in three debates on this site.

I am more inclined to believe that you and your classmates are lazy and poor at managing your time. In fact, I get the impression that you want someone to do it for you. It's a common trait in many of today's youth. You have such a sense of entitlement, but you haven't earned such.

STOP DEBATING AND DO YOUR REPORT FIRST!
massvideogamer

Con

I would like to start of this debate by quoting your opening statement "The education system in the USA is actually very laid back compared to the rest of the world to the point that it's laughed at by many for its ridiculousness." That is totally irrelevant to this topic, because it has not much to do with this topic. The education system may be more difficult in other countries, but we are not talking about other countries, we are talking about the irregularity of assignments in my school system.

Do you really think you could write an 18 page paper in one night? Most of us probably could do it in one night, but we want a grade better than a D on our paper.

(Answering a question in the comments below) We cannot use any tricks to fool our teacher that would make out paper longer. She has been a teacher for a long time, and she would recognize any variation in the size. We are also not allowed to add pictures, if we do, we get points taken off. Any other tricks we try would also end in loss of points.

I am offended that you would be so oblivious that you would say that we are just a bunch of lazy kids who want people to do everything for them. Most of us are straight A students, and we actually care about our grades compared to people who just do it all in one night. I'm sure many of us would be quite upset if someone wrote it for us.

"You have such a sense of entitlement, but you haven't earned such."

Interesting you would say that, its almost as you are contradicting yourself. You are actually the one with the sense of entitlement my friend, for you think you can just say that the youths of the USA are lazy and spoiled, without experiencing what we are going through. Very stereotypical.
solo

Pro

<>

This is a very relevant point in which I will get to in just a moment.

<>

You do not hear news stories based on the laziness of students in foreign countries. But they hear segments on the students of the USA. They are considered lazy and priviledged by the rest of the world. I'm inclined to agree.

<>

How sad for you and your friends that you couldn't produce an "A" with one night's work. That only says that you're either not as smart as I was, or that you're too lazy to put the proper effort into your work that I did to my work.

<<(Answering a question in the comments below) We cannot use any tricks to fool our teacher that would make out paper longer. She has been a teacher for a long time, and she would recognize any variation in the size. We are also not allowed to add pictures, if we do, we get points taken off. Any other tricks we try would also end in loss of points.>>

Thank you for acknowledging the comments below in this debate. Now I may do the very same. You have three sources that have all successfully completed the eighth grade and we all echo the other's advice. Instead of complaining about the task that each of us has had to do, you came online and made a debate about it, instead of actually doing the report itself.

<>

I apologize for offending you, but it was not my intent. Actions speak louder than words, and inaction speaks just as loudly. I believe you truly care about your grades. I do. I also believe that you would prefer things to be easy and have fast solutions, which is why you probably still haven't completed your assignment.

<>

I doubt that, as there are countless websites that offer cheats of every kind for students in high school. Students cheat every single day in this country. It's laughable to suggest that "many" would be "quite upset" if someone did their work for them. I have a nephew in the eighth grade and I guarantee that he wouldn't be as distraught.

<<"You have such a sense of entitlement, but you haven't earned such.">>

I wasn't referring to you, specifically, in this statement. I was referring to your entire generation. As a whole, you are everything that I claim you to be. Prove me wrong if this isn't so.

<>

I have already experienced what you're going through. I did it (without all the complaining). My schoolmates and I accepted our workload as part of our academic careers. And, yes, we complained about things, but never about having TWO-WHOLE-WEEKS TO PRODUCE eighteen little pages. It's madness!

<>

Yes. So?

This debate is how you claim to have been working like crazy, yet here you are on the internet while your paper is unfinished. There are three sources here echoing the fact that this is a small feat and not unreasonable at all. If I seem to act with entitlement, it is because I've earned the right to be this way. I've paid my dues. I've written the papers that I was assigned to write. I work and earn every cent in my bank account. Entitlement, within reason, is mine for the taking. You are barely a teenager, so I'll give you some advice. It only gets much, much harder before it ever becomes easy.
massvideogamer

Con

Solo, this is where i make my final argument

first off, i would like to quote that of which kenicks said down in the comments:

"Solo, while you debate well, I have a very hard time believe you could complete a well-thought out, full-fledged 18 page report in one night. The focus on this report is to write a miniature version of Homer's "The Odyssey", following all the specific characteristics of an epic throughout five books (chapters). Furthermore, if you could indeed such fine material in just one night, why in fact are you spending your sitting on the computer debating with 8th graders, when you could be writing illustrious novels for a living?"

i agree with his statement fully. i highly doubt that when you were in eighth grade you could write what we are writing in one night. He has another point where he said you should be writing books now. If you were able to write an 18 page paper of such A quality in one night, then why ARE you on this website when you should be writing best-selling novel?

another point he made is its not like i am no where near finished, I'm almost done. I am just saying this is unfair on the behalf of me classmates who are not as quick as i am.

Still, your whole point about the education in other countries still doesn't have much to do with my topic. I am not talking about other countries and their education, for other countries have completely different lifestyles than we do.

going back to your statement about you being able of writing an A quality 18 page paper in one night, if this is true, then you must be an absolute genius, and if you are a genius; STOP DEBATING ON THIS WEBSITE 24/7 AND GO MAKE SOMETHING OF YOUR LIFE BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE
solo

Pro

<>

Don't you mean rant?

<>

Of course you would, because as I indicated above, you are too lazy to do your own work. You completely copied and pasted someone else's opinion into your own argument to take credit for it. And here I thought you were above this type of "cheating". Here are some key words from your argument in Round Two:

<>

You don't seem very upset to me. And it's hilarious that you're back on the site while your "story" remains undone.

<<"Solo, while you debate well, I have a very hard time believe you could complete a well-thought out, full-fledged 18 page report in one night. The focus on this report is to write a miniature version of Homer's "The Odyssey", following all the specific characteristics of an epic throughout five books (chapters). Furthermore, if you could indeed such fine material in just one night, why in fact are you spending your sitting on the computer debating with 8th graders, when you could be writing illustrious novels for a living?">>

Copied and pasted from below, but not an original idea from massvideogamer.

<>

Not the point of this debate, as the burden of proof does not lie with me. However, the reason that I'm not a best-selling novelist is because I don't have anything to write. Why would I want to write novels? It was a tedious task that I did well and left behind. Writing reports is dreadful and I hated it with a passion, but that does not mean that I was not excellent at doing it.

<>

Almost is not good enough and further proves that you do not manage your time appropriately. There are four people in the comments below that are agreeing with me. What does that tell you?

<>

Yes, lifestyles that promote rewards for hard work and not rewards for laziness.

<>

Your assessment of me and my life only prove, to anyone reading this debate, is that you should stay in school.

Thanks for the debate, massvideogamer! I appreciate your efforts and I hope you do not take my points too personally. I was, in fact, able to write long A-worthy reports at your age, but really don't care what you do now. I just like having something interesting to do while I sit here and make money. Thanks again!
Posted by massvideogamer 9 years ago
massvideogamer
it actually went very well, thank you. I'm actually surprised that I was able to write it. Although I don't know my grade yet as my teacher is kind of a slow correcter.
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
In partial relation to this topic, I'd sometimes write out my arguments for my LD debates while on the way to the tournaments or an hour before my first round even began (which I don't recommend unless you're the type of person who is obsessed with debate). My point: It's not the length that matters but your creativity and understanding of the content you present.

At any rate, I would assume that you have turned in your report by now. How'd it go? :D
Posted by gonovice 9 years ago
gonovice
are you seriously going to tell me that i can't read? whatever.
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
massvideogamer,

I wasn't going to comment further as to how I really assessed this situation, but since your previous comment is begging for it, here you go.

<<solo, I fear that you went away from the topic of this debate to calling me names and bragging about yourself,>>

I was simply expressing my personal opinion on the situation at hand because I call 'em how I see 'em. Nothing has changed and you had three rounds to do something about that.

<<I made this debate to hear peoples opinions, not be insulted and told how to live my life by some guy who thinks he is all that because he is debating with someone half his age>>

You made this debate for the wrong reason then, because people come here to (learn how to and) WIN DEBATES, not "hear peoples opinions" on how unfair it is to expect an eighteen-page report in two weeks.

<<I also didn't make this debate to be insulted by a bunch of other guys who think they can do it, but would only understand my position by being in it>>

No, you came here to feel better about yourself for criticizing an already lacking public education system that is getting left in the dust by other nations. You came to insult the intelligence of your teacher, who has been deemed worthy by your state, to educate young minds. You insult others on the site by trivializing their academic careers because you feel that you deserve leniency with the amount of school work you receive and the amount of time your are given to complete it. And to top it all off, you say that I went off topic. Then what do you call your side of the debate?

Again, I could care less about your report. I already apologized for the offense that you took to my argument, but that doesn't change my opinion in any way.
Posted by massvideogamer 9 years ago
massvideogamer
thanks blond_guy, its good to know someone on this sight isn't full of himself
Posted by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
go novice, ur an idiot, massivevideogamer makes incredible points, I just wish you were able to READ them
Posted by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
as a 9th grader I'll have to agree with massvideogamer.
There are better ways to advance education than to overwork the kids. I've lived all over Europe for over 10 years. You don't see Russians, Russia having a great educational system that raises an incredible amount of masterminds every year, writing an 18 page paper.
Posted by gonovice 9 years ago
gonovice
massivevideogamer, your name says it all.
Posted by massvideogamer 9 years ago
massvideogamer
solo, I fear that you went away from the topic of this debate to calling me names and bragging about yourself, I made this debate to hear peoples opinions, not be insulted and told how to live my life by some guy who thinks he is all that because he is debating with someone half his age

I also didn't make this debate to be insulted by a bunch of other guys who think they can do it, but would only understand my position by being in it
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
Arrggh. One of the reasons I prefer mock trial is that spreading is essentially encouraged in most of these debate tournaments nowadays. I can understand the reasoning for policy (well somewhat), but LD?!?!?!?!?! I've even seen some in Congress. :(
Vote Placed by massvideogamer 8 years ago
massvideogamer
massvideogamersoloTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
massvideogamersoloTied
Vote Placed by solo 8 years ago
solo
massvideogamersoloTied
Vote Placed by Pluto2493 9 years ago
Pluto2493
massvideogamersoloTied
Vote Placed by teach85 9 years ago
teach85
massvideogamersoloTied
Vote Placed by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
massvideogamersoloTied
Vote Placed by cliffsofdover 9 years ago
cliffsofdover
massvideogamersoloTied
Vote Placed by quagmire 9 years ago
quagmire
massvideogamersoloTied
Vote Placed by Defenestrator 9 years ago
Defenestrator
massvideogamersoloTied
Vote Placed by MarxistKid 9 years ago
MarxistKid
massvideogamersoloTied