Emma.Leah3
Ozzyhead

Writing challenge Exercise: 600 Words or less

Started: 10/24/2014 Category: Arts

Emma.Leah3

Pro

Okay, so I recently someone gave me this writing book. And I knew I wouldn’t complete any of the exercises unless I did had some kind of set deadline. This is where DDO comes into play. This may be a little unorthodox but I figure that surely someone on here would want to participate. So here is the first exercise from a book entitled: The 3 a.m. Epiphany:

__________________________________________________________________

“Write a first person story in which you use the first-person pronoun (I or me) only two times—but keep the (I) somehow important to the narrative you’re constructing. The point of this exercise is to imagine a narrator who is less interested in himself than in what he is observing. You can make your narrator someone who sees an interesting event in which he is not necessarily a participant. Or you can make him self-effacing, yet a major participant in the events related. It is very important in this exercise to make sure your reader is not surprised, forty or fifty words into the piece, to realize that this is a first-person narration. Show us quickly who is observing the scene.”

So, this is the only way I can motivate myself to complete this book of exercises, by turning it into a competition.

Rules:

First Round is for acceptance

Second Round Complete the exercise above

Plagiarism or any form of copy & paste = forfeiture

Opponent must abide by the exercise

Obligation of voters:

Points should go to the person

1. 1. Who creates the best work

2. 2. Who stays faithful to the exercise prompt (see section in quotations above).

Ozzyhead

Con

This should be fun. I accept
Emma.Leah3

Pro

In heavy summer heat, mud dries quickly on stained jeans and on the one wheel as it rolls forward rumbling down compacted gravel. And there’s only one way, one way out of the place, past the chain-linked fences bearing barbwire at the top, past the two men built with brick arms bearing holstered weapons hanging beside their big black belts.

During the day in the small building, the security guards mimicking motion, pantomiming for a camera whose feed is fed into a small television, a television secretaries watch in boredom, a television the boss stares at in the afternoon while drinking cheap whiskey.

Today, they are rough, throwing the contents of pockets in the dirt, as their eyes grow animated with petty pleasure. I am next. Larry, the man ahead bends, his entire spine pops from picking up coins and crumbled bills from the ground, now whispering softly to himself, imagining murdering them for his own pleasure. They glare. What is underneath the blue tarp of the wheelbarrow? Are they going to catch someone today, finally? That’s exactly what they want.

Bret is the name etched on the security nametag. He is the one approaching. Bret was a former state trooper. He has a baldhead and a bear face. He shaves with a straight iron razor every morning. His eyes are testosterone glazed and animated, revealing an ugliness, ugliness that overpowers and seems to invite certain men to become police officers and security guards, a cultivated ugliness that eats and consumes. Bret jerks the plastic tarp quickly, with the energy of a magician revealing a trick, just hoping to make a discovery of stolen goods. But there is nothing in the bed of the wheelbarrow.

They check pockets, press against every inch of fabric but nothing just like the bed of the wheelbarrow. There is silence, stares looking for unconscious clues. “Good…you’re done,” Bret says, in a disappointment voice, a deflated hope of a fight.

Spirals of curling smoke wafted above Larry’s old wrinkled face. He took a final long drag the smoke tunneling out through his nostrils. He dropped butt on the cracked concrete, his boot killing the dull flame before finally rolling into a patch of dead yellow grass next to overgrown weeds and empty bottles partially filled with tobacco spit. Larry has a large truck with a large bed and right now, he is standing next to it, grinning. He starts to chuckle, then it transforms into the laugh that is hard and heavy, the sort of laugh where he coughs if it goes on too long. “Thank God, for idiots,” Larry says. I grin in agreement. They were idiots. We’d been stealing wheelbarrows for weeks.

Ozzyhead

Con

How does one define art? Paintings, music, even cooking comes to mind. But is at limited to those few things? Art is someone's creation that is pleasant to one or even more of the senses. Sometimes these arts can have a negative reaction, but regardless, it is art. My art is brewing beer. How does one get in to such an art? Many reasons. It's something mom or dad passed it down. You looked online and Google, searched "how to make beer". Most people would click the first thing they find and buy the ingredients or buy a kit for beginners. You'd set aside a whole day to do it, and let's face it, it does take all day. The familiar smell of beer fills the kitchen- well, right now it's your brewery and you'll be damned if the misses thinks she's throwing dinner in the oven. You have some spills and you let it sit for maybe a 3 weeks. Painful, isn't it? It's time to bottle. You're so afraid to taste it. 3 weeks and 30 dollars wasted is what's on the mind. You bottle and hope for the best next week.
When my Uncle Joe said it tasted like Samuel Adams Summer Ale... wow is all that through the mind. "Time to open up a brewery" is the first thought that runs through the mind. And that's probably the way many breweries opened. So sit back, relax and take a nice sip of the art presented to you. Isn't it so beautiful?
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
looks quite cool. :D
Vote Placed by jynxx 2 years ago
jynxx
Emma.Leah3OzzyheadTied
Reasons for voting decision: I liked all of this! Really good.