DAVIDspade
Danielle

X-Box 360 Vs. Ps3

Started: 5/21/2010 Category: Technology

DAVIDspade

Pro

Hello this will be my first debate on Debates.org and I hope it to be a good one.
Let the geek war commence

Alright It's quite an age old question whether Microsoft's X-Box 360 is a better gaming system then Sony's Play-station 3. For me, I believe the X-box is the greater system. The X-box has games like Gears of war 1-2 and soon to be 3. It is the system that started the Halo franchise. Yes the X-box may have a few problems but what console doesn't?
Danielle

Con

== Rebuttal ==

My opponent's sole argument in this debate is that Xbox 360 is a better system console than its rival Playstation 3 because it has superior games such as the Halo franchise, and Gears of War 1, 2 and 3. I negate.

== Arguments ==

1. GAMES

In terms of variety alone, the PS3 games supersede that of the 360. While the 360 is known for its shooters, PS3 games offer a greater variety. Most games available on the 360 are also offered on the PS3. If not, Halo alone doesn't make the 360 better than the PS3 -- it just happens to be an awesome game. In terms of graphics, admittedly the first comparison between systems showed 360 games having the edge. However with time, the results seemed to change. An updated Game Spot review acknowledges that PS3 games now look just as good as the Xbox ones, if not flat out better [9].

2. VALUE

The Playstation 3 presents a better value in many aspects which I will detail throughout this debate. One of the most obvious ways the PS3 is a money saver is the fact that you can play Playstation 3 games online for free, which you can't with the Xbox. There are also a lot of other extra charges the Xbox calls for that the PS does not - again which I will mention throughout the debate. While the PS3 seemingly costs more than the Xbox at face value, the cost actually about evens out or works in the PS' favor considering all of the extra amenities that the Xbox forces one to buy (or that one needs to buy in order to enjoy the same experiences). For instance, if you opt for a second wireless controller and/or a battery kit to help you recharge batteries, you'll be spending at least $70 with the 360. Additionally, of course if you plan on playing the 360 online for more than a year or 2, then the cost of online gaming alone helps achieve nearly the cost of the PS3 in its entirety.

3. GENERAL PLAY

- The PS3 has rechargeable controllers that you can just plug into the PS3 and charge, while the Xbox requires you to use batteries. This gets expensive for one who plays a lot (or with a family who shares a system) because you have to buy new batteries all the time. This also makes the controllers heavier. The PS3 controllers are also motion sensitive which is cool.

- Xbox has a lot of technical problems, such as the infamous "Red Ring of Death" which is the nickname for the flashing red lights on the Xbox that indicate the system has frozen, its having graphic problems, needs repairs, etc. [7].

- Another burden is that the 360 tends to overheat; this is not common with the PS3. If you buy a cooling device, it will be both expensive and loud compromising your experience and your wallet.

4. APPEARANCE

The Xbox has a huge power cord (while the PS one is thin) and also a giant adapter which makes it an interference not only with home decor, but a safety hazard as well as an eye sore. I also happen to think that the PlayStation is a lot more sleek and chic looking in general. Journalist David Carnoy jokingly notes "beige is not the new black" and mentions how the color of the 360 just isn't all that appealing [8]. I prefer the PS3 controller too, though many people just consider that a preference.

5. RELIABILITY and RATINGS

The PS3 has a failure percentage rate of 0.2% (so less than 1) while failure rates as high as one third of all consoles in existence of the Xbox 360 have been reported [6]! Xbox admits to the fact that it has awful performance ratings (i.e. problems with the system) and responded by extending the 1 year warranty to a 3 year warranty citing "an unacceptable number of repairs." The 360 also has infamously bad tech support for when you have a problem... and you probably will, considering the stats.

6. ONLINE PLAY

The PS3 has built-in WiFi which automatically detects WiFi signals, where the Xbox 360 does not [2]. Additionally, all you need to play PS3 games online is WiFi and an adapter (which costs about $90). To play Xbox 360 online it will cost you around $400, i.e. more than 4x the cost for that alone. The PS3 also allows you to surf the web and comes with a web browser, as well as allows you to hook up your mouse and keyboard to use the net. You can't do that with a 360.

7. MULTIMEDIA

- A High-Definition Multimedia Interface or HDMI is a compact audio/video interface for transmitting uncompressed digital data. By delivering crystal-clear, all-digital audio and video via a single cable, HDMI dramatically simplifies cabling and helps provide consumers with the highest-quality home theater experience [1]. I personally use HDMI cables to watch things in hi-def on my flat screen. All Playstation 3 models support HDMI while the Xbox 360 does not, providing viewers with a better visual experience.

- The PS3 has 4 USB ports on all versions while the 360 is limited to 2. In other words, you can do more things at once on the PS3. The PS3 also supports up to 7 blue tooth devices. This is yet another way in which the 360 lacks in comparison.

- Quite obviously one of the most prominent features about the Playstation 3 making it superior to the 360 is the inclusion of a Blu Ray DVD player. Blu Ray promises advanced video and audio codecs that will offer consumers an unprecedented HD experience. Now a typical Blu Ray DVD player can go for about $124 [4] while the PS3 priced at $275 new [5] already includes this awesome device. Additionally, the new Blu Ray feature in the PS3 has an extra protection layer that prevents scratches on DVDs... And moreover, while the 360 uses standard dvd discs (holding up to 8 gb) a single blue ray disc can hold up to 5x more memory than that. Overall Blu Ray HD and its PS3 features just surpasses anything offered by the 360, and for a fraction of the cost.

- Another cool feature about the PS3 is that it supports remote play; this is a feature that allows you to connect your PSP to your home PS3 system. Users can access music, videos, photos, messages (send and receive), YouTube, PlayStation games, The PlayStation Store and various applications stored on the PlayStation 3's HDD, or external flash drives and optical media attached to the PlayStation 3 [3].

- Simply put, the PS3 just has bigger hard drive options. One user mentions, "Instead of just being able to save games or serve up content (photos, video, music) from a standard flash-memory card, with the Xbox 360 I've got to buy some stupid proprietary 64MB memory card for $40... By contrast, Sony's PS3 is slated to have a built-in card reader that will handle CompactFlash, and SD/MMC in addition to Sony's own Memory Stick format" [8].

- Playstation has another cool feature called Life With Playstation which allows you to check out the earth in a 3D type format (sort of like Google Earth). This feature allows you to read news or even see webcams of people and places all over the globe.

== Conclusion ==

I own a PS3 and my family owns a 360. I'm familiar with both systems and much prefer the PS3 for the aforementioned reasons. The PS3 has better features and a better value; the pros outweigh the cons. Thanks to my opponent and good luck.

[1] http://www.hdmi.org...
[2] http://www.eurogamer.net...
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[4] http://www.google.com...#
[5] http://www.google.com...#
[6] http://www.pcworld.com...
[7] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[8] http://reviews.cnet.com...
[9] http://www.gamespot.com....
DAVIDspade

Pro

DAVIDspade forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

Please extend my arguments.
DAVIDspade

Pro

DAVIDspade forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

Please extend my arguments.
DAVIDspade

Pro

DAVIDspade forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

My opponent has forfeited the entire debate. Please extend my arguments and vote accordingly. Thank you.
Posted by badger 6 years ago
badger
online for xbox is basically free. you just have to create a new account every month.
Posted by xxdarkxx 6 years ago
xxdarkxx
lol yeah i have heard about that too havent tried it yet. and yeah i pretty much only play mw2. psn=xxdarkhorizonxx ... until black ops comes out then i will be using l347_cr33p3rz
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
Haha I made a mistake - I thought you needed an adapter for PS3 but you don't (I guess just another reason why the PS3 is awesome :p) ... I was confusing it with an adapter for something else I read about where you could use your keyboard and mouse along with an adapter to play PS3 games for shooters. Btw the only thing I am really psyched about atm is the next COD which is coming out in November :D Do you play that game??? Oh and Life With Playstation is something I've seen my brother use but I don't have it on mine at home bc you have to dl it... Should be under Network, and then Folding @ Home.
Posted by xxdarkxx 6 years ago
xxdarkxx
....what adapter are you talking about L... i play on psn with a wifi network and do not use an adapter of any sort.

can't wait till playstation move comes out :)

and where is life with playstation??? i've never seen it... is it in playstation home?
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
That was absolute ownage. Ownage I tells ya!
Posted by studentathletechristian8 6 years ago
studentathletechristian8
"They are too subjective. Even if you show all the facts someone will say another GAME SYSTEM
is better for whatever reason."

Honestly, you can replace the capitalized text with most other issues that are debated on this website.
Posted by Miles_Finch 6 years ago
Miles_Finch
I don't like consule war debates. They are too subjective. Even if you show all the facts someone will say another game system is better for whatever reason. It is annoying and can't be won.
Posted by BUCKL3R 6 years ago
BUCKL3R
This has got to be the dumbest topic and presentation I've ever read
Posted by Itsallovernow 6 years ago
Itsallovernow
But online for PS3 is free! FREE!
Posted by Spaztoid 6 years ago
Spaztoid
Will this debate be about which consolis better as a whole or will it be more specific than that?
Vote Placed by NiamC 2 years ago
NiamC
DAVIDspadeDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF. GOOD SHOW FROM CON.
Vote Placed by DeadLeaves93 6 years ago
DeadLeaves93
DAVIDspadeDanielleTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
DAVIDspadeDanielleTied