DATCMOTO
averagejoe212

YOU need Jesus Christ.

DATCMOTO

Pro

YOU Sir/Madam absolutely, undeniably NEED Jesus Christ.. In the same way that you need oxygen, a brain & other vital organs.. In the same way that you need food & water, you need Jesus Christ.
All humanity is condemned to death by an utterly Holy and utterly Just Creator.. Adam sinned and we are ALL born into and continue to sin. As with any crime (sin) SOMEBODY has to pay the price.. YOU cannot pay.. the 'currency' you have was given to you by the same creator..
Only God can pay God and Jesus Christ is God and HAS PAID.
averagejoe212

Con

It is not only bad logic to say everyone needs Jesus it is also ignorant to say everyone must share your opinion. In the second sentence you stated that people need Jesus in the same way we need food and water but that is wrong humans need food and to survive I chose not to believe,but I am still alive. To DEMANED that someone agree with your religion is unamerican and unchristian on the fact that "God" gave us freewill to chose our own path.As far as your statement "As with any crime (sin) SOMEBODY has to pay the price.." by your logic the reason to avoid sin is to avoid hell but I personally don't need to be scared into not doing bad things I don't do them because they are wrong.Please have faith in your God but don't insult me by saying I must share that same view.
DATCMOTO

Pro

I've got BAD NEWS for you Joe.. You are NOT alive.. When Adam sinned he separated SPIRITUALLY from God, so although we are physically alive we are (Unless we are 'born again' spiritually, e.g. INVITE Jesus Christ into our hearts) in fact, Dead in our sins..
I really do NOT intend to insult you.. this is a serious business. Of course you are free to believe what you choose but you are not free from the consequences.. God is the source of ALL Goodness and Beauty, wisdom and love and righteousness.. If you or anybody rejects Him you are choosing hell.. I understand how that sounds but think about it.. if there is one room in a house that has an open fire and I go and stand in another room and then complain that I'm cold then we begin to see the problem.

You say you 'don't do bad things'. Really?
By who standards shall we judge you? by your own? that would mean we must judge everybody by their own standard, including Hitler ( who incidentally believed himself to be the saviour of all mankind ) . You see the problem.
Or shall we judge you by 'the times' the general consensus? Then that is ALL you shall be.. a 'child of your time' which of course means that had you been born a few hundred years ago you not only would have believed in God but slavery and many other things.

Right and wrong cannot be judged by these subjective means.. or else there IS NO right and wrong, and you and I KNOW that there are such things.. you said so yourself.
SO.. I have more bad news! Until Jesus came along we were really in the dark.. ( 'A Light has come into the world' )
we had the ten commandments and the prophets etc but Jesus Christ alone reveals the Heart of God (His Purpose!).

Have you ever looked at a woman with lust in your heart?
Have you ever hated your fellow man?
ever Lied?
You don't need to answer any of these questions.. there rhetorical. I know the answer.

" For all have sinned and falls short of the glory of God. " Romans 3:23

THERES GOOD NEWS TO COME!
averagejoe212

Con

I am alive ,but that argument is redundant. This is not a debate on if "God" is real, but a debate on if humans need god to survive. If a debate on "God" being real is something you want count me out. For the same reason I got into this debate with you, it is not my place to say you are wrong for having faith. Just as it is not your place to say it is wrong that I not have faith. The inquisition tried forcing religion on non believers and that went well huh.

To answer where I get my morals it was ,ironically, Jesus who made the golden rule.

"do on to others as you would have them do onto you" Where ever in the bible ?:??

Just because I agree with a statment made by a character in a book dosen't mean I agree with the whole book

I will gladly answer your questions yes, yes, and yes. That is because humans are, after all, animals.

I need to correct a statement I made in my opening argument when I said "it is unamerican" I failed to look at your profile until after and learned you were British. Since you are British unamerican does not apply.

"Life is perception"- My grandfather
DATCMOTO

Pro

This is a debate on whether YOU need Jesus Christ, or not.. You say He made the golden rule, do you then see Him as just a 'good teacher' ? because that is the one thing He did not leave open to us. No one who was good or in their right mind would have made the incessant claims regarding His own divinity that Christ made.
I do not believe you have seriously answered my question on who's criteria we are to be judged.. I understand this because if you seriously consider the implications there is no other answer.. if there is objective truth, objective morality, then where is it? it can only reside in Someone Who has ALWAYS BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE.

I want to thank you AverageJoe.. this is my first ever online debate and i've really enjoyed myself.. (I was actually thrilled to be called 'unamerican' -glad to hear mcarthyism still alive & kicking.. just kidding!)

I'd just like to encourage you to to keep an open mind (and heart!) regarding Jesus Christ.. He is "The way, The truth and the Life."

Thanks again, All the best. DAT C MOTO
averagejoe212

Con

averagejoe212 forfeited this round.
Posted by DATCMOTO 8 years ago
DATCMOTO
The Kingdom of heaven is within you! " SO that means every time I quote scripture or present the gospel that SEED of eternity within you is 'activated'.. But you have a choice.. whether to accept or reject.. Keep an open mind regarding Jesus Christ, His Gift of salvation (when you 'get it') is truly the most valuable treasure imaginable.
Posted by mrsmooth27 8 years ago
mrsmooth27
...your efforts to do what? Why do you tell your truth? If it is not to save people, what is the use in telling others your truth?
Posted by DATCMOTO 8 years ago
DATCMOTO
Alas, that is where our analogy must finish.. You see this ISN'T a soccer game and the threat ISN'T as easily conveyed as a terrorist threat.
BUT the 'seed of eternity' is inside every man so rather than convince people by logic or even debate (on that we agree.. impossible!) I merely water that seed.. with truth, with the Word of God.
ALSO we have a diabolical enemy (the god of this world) whose speciality is deception SO I can't always 'play nice' I'm afraid.
The scriptures clearly teach that 'Salvation is the Lords' so I do not burden myself with trying to 'save people' etc.. I just present the gospel in my own inept way and pray that God blesses my efforts.
Posted by mrsmooth27 8 years ago
mrsmooth27
Excellent point! I actually smiled when you said that, which is a lot more than I can say for just about anything that I have ever seen here. Now, in the soccer match, to save the lives that would be killed by the terrorist you must convince people who do not believe that there is a terrorist attack that there is one, and the best way to do this, in my opinion, would be either one very complicated debate or several simpler debates about the existence about the said threat (analogy Twister :D), but you must speak the language of the people who you're trying to convince; a well played soccer match will be, as far as I see it, the best way to convince people of the truth of your warning; make a soccer game such that the relevance of a god is important to your victory.
Posted by DATCMOTO 8 years ago
DATCMOTO
OK.. BUT what if at that same soccer match I had some very important information regarding a terrorist alert etc.. would it not then be prudential to do all I can to convey that information?
This debating site is NOT as important as a soccer match and the information I convey is INFINITELY more important than any terrorist alert..
Posted by mrsmooth27 8 years ago
mrsmooth27
I *do* accept that other people have different opinions.

I *don't* expect you to back down from your faith.

I am a thinker. You may define intellectual any way you feel, but I am inalienably a thinker because I think, and even your god can not take that from me.

I do not "pretend" to have an opinion of my own. I think and look for truth, and, selfishly, I don't care if you find it. I will not pretend to have found truth, but when/if I do, it will not be as a result of accepting ideas on unsupported faith.

Your priorities in regards to religion don't matter in a debate any more than they in the victory of a soccer game. If you stood up in a 1 on 1 soccer match and said "Without...Son" you would not score any points. I do realize that I'm getting a bit redundant, but so are you: debate is as much of a game as soccer.
Posted by DATCMOTO 8 years ago
DATCMOTO
SO good I had to say it twice..
Posted by DATCMOTO 8 years ago
DATCMOTO
I guess your gonna just have to accept the fact that not everyone feels the same way you do mrsmooth.. On a religious debating site you ARE gonna run into the odd believer who doesn't back down from every pseudo intellectual pretending to have an 'opinion' of his own..
The Good News of Jesus Christ IS my No.1 priority.. YOU personally need Him.. without clothing yourself in His righteousness you remain 'naked in sin' before God.. every SINGLE day He averts His eyes and says " Cover yourself up son.."

And thanks puppyluvz.. I need ALL the support I can get!
Posted by DATCMOTO 8 years ago
DATCMOTO

Posted by mrsmooth27 8 years ago
mrsmooth27
...would have earned either side some points.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
DATCMOTOaveragejoe212Tied
Vote Placed by JustCallMeTarzan 7 years ago
JustCallMeTarzan
DATCMOTOaveragejoe212Tied
Vote Placed by mongeese 8 years ago
mongeese
DATCMOTOaveragejoe212Tied
Vote Placed by pcmbrown 8 years ago
pcmbrown
DATCMOTOaveragejoe212Tied
Vote Placed by dragonfire1414 8 years ago
dragonfire1414
DATCMOTOaveragejoe212Tied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 8 years ago
rougeagent21
DATCMOTOaveragejoe212Tied
Vote Placed by Tin_Man 8 years ago
Tin_Man
DATCMOTOaveragejoe212Tied
Vote Placed by mrsmooth27 8 years ago
mrsmooth27
DATCMOTOaveragejoe212Tied
Vote Placed by peace-maker 8 years ago
peace-maker
DATCMOTOaveragejoe212Tied
Vote Placed by PieofLife 8 years ago
PieofLife
DATCMOTOaveragejoe212Tied