Loveshismom
Solomon_Orlando

Yarn bombing

Solomon_Orlando

Loveshismom

Con

Pro argues first.
Solomon_Orlando

Pro

Since the original poster gave literally no description or background for what 'yarn bombing' is, allow me to take the time to note exactly what this concept is.

Yarn Bombing is a form of graffiti or street-art that employs colorful displays of crocheted yarn instead of the normal paint/chalk graffiti. For example, there may be a sleeve of yarn around a tree branch in the middle of public; this is yarn-bombing. Now for my argument:

It's yarn.

As simple as it is to say that, I feel like the simplicity of it is perfect for this debate. It's not harmful to the environment, it's colorful, it's fun, and it's something for people to do with their left-over yarn or knitting projects. It's not permanent either and can be taken down within two minutes.
Loveshismom

Con

Yes, that is exactly what I meant by "yarn bombing."

Rebuttal 1: "it's colorful"

There are plenty of other colorful things to do. Paint, do a fan made comic book, play paintball, etc. In fact, some people are anti-yarn bombing, and as proven by MatPat, the host of Game Theory, a negative opinion about yarn bombing was the origin of the basic idea for Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Rebuttal 2: "it's not harmful to the environment"

No, but some people actually find it annoying, even though they know it is not permanent. They still consider if defacement. For example, what if some random person yarn bombed your house inside and out? Or if they even yarn bombed your fence and your garden or all your TVs and game consoles? Would you like to see your car yarn bombed? I think not.

Rebuttal 2: "it's fun"

One can use that as an argument in favor of anything. Does that make everything ok? No.

Rebuttal 3: "It's something for people to do with their left-over yarn or knitting projects."

There are plenty of other things to do with them. You could turn it into shoelaces when them old ones are worn out, turn it into streamers, use them to replace anything string, or use it for anything yarn-themed.

Rubuttal 4: it's not permanent... and can be taken down within two minutes"

That is good, especially for people who are anti-yarn bombing.
Solomon_Orlando

Pro

People find it annoying? Well, jeez, in that case, we might as well lock up all the artists! "Hey! You were hired by this shop-owner to draw a mural on the shop's outside wall? You're coming with me, you degenerate!" - "Excuse me, are you seriously painting a heart on this memorial for your dead friend that died in a car accident just weeks ago? Sorry, but you're getting cuffed."

Also, no one is going to yarn-bomb my belongings because it's an expression of art, so it's most likely done in public. Even when it's done in public, they're usually still doing it on public property. I'm not debating that there are people that take it way too far, every type of group has that radical nature come forth sooner of later, but most of the people that yarn-bomb do it on public property. Trees, street-lamps, rails, et cetera.

Maybe we should lock up everyone for being their own person; I mean, expressing one's personality through different styles of art that may or may not be colorful, fun and engaging? That's ludicrous! Lock everyone up, everyone should just never express themselves!

"Oh, god! Stop! You're making colorful art on a tree and that makes me mad! I'm calling the authorities! Hello, 911? There's yarn everywhere! God, it's so colorful and knitted tightly around this tree... we'll never get this off, it's permanent! It's defacement! It's disrespectful! Oh, god, why did it have to be yarn of all things.. my life is ruined."

It's yarn, dude. Honestly making such a big deal out of something so little is ridiculous. I mean, you're focusing your efforts on one form of art, but you're leaving out a whole other spectrum of expressive entertainment. What about the pothole gardens? What about statues erected in public property? Why are these art forms allowed, but a little yarn is not?
Loveshismom

Con

I'm still anti yarn bombing but you win
Solomon_Orlando

Pro

All right, then. Good debate topic, though.
Solomon_Orlando

Pro

Vote how you wish.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
LoveshismomSolomon_OrlandoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
LoveshismomSolomon_OrlandoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.
Vote Placed by Phoenix61397 2 years ago
Phoenix61397
LoveshismomSolomon_OrlandoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conceded