Year round calender for public schools

I believe this is self explanatory. I will let whomever accepts this challenge make the opening remarks.

I assume that by year-round schooling you mean the week-or-so breaks throughout the school-year (correct me if I'm wrong here and if you are referring to a year-round education with no breaks).

I would first like to point out that year-round education is much more costly than traditional education. I am not aware of the exact figures of this, but I figure it's obvious enough that more school days equals more costs (for electricity, plumbing, teachers' salaries, etc.)

Furthermore, many high school students use the traditional summer as an opportunity to begin a summer job. These students jobs are, from experience, crucial not only for everyday items such as gas and leisure activities, but help significantly with paying for college and developing a general idea of where the student stands at financially (as far as what colleges are in reach, only considering cost).

Proponents of year-round education claim that the traditional summers cause the students to retain less information, and thus when school begins in the fall, students have to backtrack to re-learn the information they forgot. Though this seems logical, it does not encompass standardized test scores. It is true that students lose information over the long, traditional summers, however, in a 1994 study by Dr. Teresa Greenfield, she found that even with the year round school, the "results of standardized tests showed no such improvement." Though the overall amount of information learned in school is important in life, test scores really are the determining factor when it comes to college acceptance and thus employment.

Ah, and so the debate begins. Let me start off with saying that year-round does not mean that students will be in school for longer than normal, as the normal stigma would have people believe. Students in the year-round school system would still go to school for the standard 180 school days, with the only difference being that the days that students attend school would be more evenly spaced and school breaks would be more regulated throughout the school year, with breaks usually being 2-3 weeks long.

As for the summer jobs, these students will not lose any working time in the year-round school system. Logic would plainly state here that seeing as the actual number of school days are still the same, then the days available to work would also remain unchanged. This would actually benefit these summer workers, as working for several weeks in the spaced breaks of the school year would give students the money they need WHILE they need it, and will not have them dependent on one lump sum in one point of the year.

I will agree, however, on the retention of knowledge. There is only so much one can learn in 180 days of the school year before the extended summer break (Usually extended by two-three weeks), but at the same time putting off education would do harm as well. Just ask older generation going to college how they are doing in math after not using it for so long, and you will find that the typical high school kid will be helping THEM with their work. These summer breaks may not matter much to some kids who are naturally good with information retention, but one must also accommodate for the kids who have trouble with recall.

By all means continue, I look forward to your rebuttal.

I thank my opponent for clarifying the definition.

As for summer jobs, I agree that the amount of days available for working would remain the same. I would also like to congratulate my opponent for his point that working every other couple would provide students with the money WHILE they need it. However, I must point out that finding an employer who hires students every other week-or-so is rather difficult. Also, although the matter is out of the students' hands, many employers hire students as seasonal workers, where working week on and week off would be even more pressing.

I do agree that an extended summer break is harmful to students' memories, but as standardized test scores appear to remain the same, I must rest my case. I think, as far as this point (about length of break affecting education) goes, we have essentially reached a stalemate.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to present another argument in round 2, but it is a fairly simple idea. If students had to transition from, say, a year-long high school education to a traditional college education, I am sure the change of schedule would be detrimental to the student's studies. If year long education were to be implemented, I say it would only be fair to the student to implement this education in every level of education so as to not cause the student an abnormal amount of stress transitioning into the entirely new yearly schedule.

My opponent brings up a valid point in the case of summer jobs and on the weekly job system, but one must also realize that most students work these jobs during the school week as well. Students would not have to worry about finding employment seeing as these students will already have jobs in evenings and weekends (as I myself had done). This would just be a simple matter of giving the employer a heads up that the student would be available for more time during these breaks and obtain the possibility to make more money.

As to summer break, I do believe that we have reached a stalemate and I would like to congratulate my opponent on previous arguments on that topic.

As for the transition from high school to college, however, there are many colleges across the nation that are open full time in every season. In many colleges, such as the one that I am currently attending, there are summer courses offered to complement the courses offered in the fall and spring, and year round education will help students prepare for having to take classes in the middle of the summer. In fact, the only reason that we have our standard education schedule as we have it today was so that students could have the summer off to help with planting and tending to crops and animals back when America still heavily relied on farms. As this is no longer the case for the current state of our nation, and with college education having classes in the summer, I believe that it would do more harm than good to stay with our current schedule.

With that I will end my side of the debate. I would like to thank my opponent for debating, and I would also like to thank him for being the best challenge I've had yet in these debates.

Though my opponent brings up a valid point that standard education was originally and primarily for those needing to work on the "family farm" in the the summer, I must remain firm in my opinion that transition in America's education from the majority of traditional schedules to year-long education would prove harmful to the students' education.

With that, I will also end my debate. My opponent has widened my perspective on this topic, and I also thank him for not only the best challenge I've had, but for his excellent and respectful debating etiquette. Well done.
Posted by Secryte 3 years ago
Now it is
Posted by Sheldor 3 years ago
I'm afraid it isn't.
Vote Placed by eastcoastsamuel 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: This debate was, for lack of a better word, too cutesy. There was very little clashing or weighing done by either side. Neither side was really able to convince me to vote either way, so no points are rewarded for convincing arguments. I'm voting mainly on sources to Con, as he quoted one study in his first round post, which I never saw Pro do once.