SPENCERJOYAGE14
leojm

Yoga, is not acceptible to do in public schools

leojm

SPENCERJOYAGE14

Pro

To leojm, have fun. :)

Okay my resolution is: Public school is not a place to learn yoga, if you want your kids to do religious exercises private schools are best for them.

Rules:
1. Have as many emoticons as possible. ;)
2. Forfeits equal automatic lose.
3. This is a fun debate all rules except the first 2 are laid back, have fun. :)
4. You can use any website you want.

Definitions:
Yoga:
"The term 'Yoga' comes from the Sanskrit root 'Yuj' which means 'to join.' In its spiritual sense, it is the process by which the identity of the Jivatma (individual self) and Paramatma (God) is realized by the Yogi. Yoga means union with the God. This is the goal of human life. Yoga is the spiritual science that teaches the method of joining human spirit (soul) with God. Yoga is the Divine science which disentangles the Jiva from the phenomenal world of sense-objects and links him with the Absolute"

- Sri Swami Sivananda

1.http://www.thekundaliniyoga.org...
leojm

Con

I accept this debate!!

Yoga sooths the soul; in school a lot of kids get so frustrated that it effects their work at school, therefore dropping the GPA and their SAT/PSAT scores. Yoga would be good for schools, for it will relax the mind of a student and pushes them to concentrate better and have higher scores.

This is just a random add, but they should have nap time in school too. Haha
Kids these days don"t get much sleep, for such reasons as; homework, boyfriend/girlfriend keeps them up/ video games"and so on.

Yoga helps teens with how to handle stress, anxiety, and sleep deprivation. There has been a study that proves that yoga is good for teens and kids and should be in schools. (http://www.philly.com...)

If we could just take 15 minutes out of the school day to do yoga, wow there would be such an improvement in grades and what not.
SPENCERJOYAGE14

Pro

Lol, thank you! :D

Lol, drugs can sooth the soul but that doesn’t make them any safer. :P

Just because yoga can help teens with how to handle stress, anxiety, and sleep deprivation. That doesn’t stop it from religious.

Yoga is a ritual that comes from Hinduism. In the U.S we have separation from church and state, all public schools are government run. For that reason having yoga in public schools is a complete violation of the separation of church and state amendment.

If the Supreme Court rules the rosary is not a catholic ritual, that doesn’t stop the truth, if public schools wanted to allow the rosary to be said in class because it calms stress, people would have a fit.

Why isn’t a moment of silence, and the rosary allowed when yoga is?

1. http://archive.adl.org...

2. http://archive.adl.org...

3. http://archive.adl.org...

4. http://archive.adl.org...

leojm

Con

“Lol, drugs can sooth the soul but that doesn’t make them any safer. :P”

This destroys your body and a way of thinking. This will not raise your GPA and SAT/PSAT scores. So this is not the same.

“Just because yoga can help teens with how to handle stress, anxiety, and sleep deprivation. That doesn’t stop it from religious.”

Yoga is not always religious. It’s a type of exercise that supposed to relieve stress.

“Yoga is a ritual that comes from Hinduism. In the U.S we have separation from church and state, all public schools are government run. For that reason having yoga in public schools is a complete violation of the separation of church and state amendment.”

I agree about the church and state separation. Like I mentioned above it’s not always taken as religious. It’s a stress reliever, and like I said in my first round, there was scientific proof that yoga is good for your body and mind.

“If the Supreme Court rules the rosary is not a catholic ritual, that doesn’t stop the truth, if public schools wanted to allow the rosary to be said in class because it calms stress, people would have a fit.”

Maybe, Yoga could be a class that is only for people who want to participate in Yoga. Nothing should be forced upon you. For this country is supposed to be free, and we have the freedom to speech.

“Why isn’t a moment of silence, and the rosary allowed when yoga is?”

This is not true; public schools do have moment of silence. The high school I went to we said the pledge of allegiance then we had a moment of silence. I will say though right now, that not all public schools have a moment of silence.

My argument;

Yoga- a part of which, including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific bodily postures, is widely practiced for health and relaxation.

The bolded part is what I'm concentrating on the most. [http://www.thefreedictionary.com...]

There has been research on Yoga and how it is helpful and healthy for you. They have found out that it helps you with stress and depression and has you focused better. Because the relaxation of Yoga creates chemicals in you brain the help you think and stay on track. To give you a mind that is relaxed and stress free.

Scientists also have found out that Yoga increases your GABA, more than just taking a walk outside. For those who don't know what GABA is, it's a "is essential to the function of brain and central nervous system and which helps promote a state of calm within the body" [http://www.telegraph.co.uk...]

Those who have experienced Yoga has seen tremendouse improvement of less stress and depression. Since thi have been helpful for people, it has decreased the percentage of suisides. Which is a big pro. Some doctors recomend for people to take Yoga to relieve their stress. Stress is really dangerouse for you body. It wears it down and make you very unhealthy, which can lead to problems.

Yoga can also have different types of excersises, there are extreeme and calm, it depends on your weight and your metabolism. So having Yoga in public schools will be very helpful. Teens will get a break from education and clear their mind, so that they can be more rested and study better.

SPENCERJOYAGE14

Pro

Lol, I recognize, I just assumed it was comical. :P

Yoga is not always religious. The situation is always religious. Look at what an ex Hindu says about it.

It may not always be taken as religious, just as communion may not always be taken religiously but that will never stop it from being so.

If someone starts to complain about the moment of silence it would be removed right away. Same for yoga, it should be removed right away.

“My argument;

Yoga- a part of which, including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific bodily postures, is widely practiced for health and relaxation.”

From the beginning of this debate our definition of yoga has been: "The term 'Yoga' comes from the Sanskrit root 'Yuj' which means 'to join.' In its spiritual sense, it is the process by which the identity of the Jivatma (individual self) and Paramatma (God) is realized by the Yogi. Yoga means union with the God. This is the goal of human life. Yoga is the spiritual science that teaches the method of joining human spirit (soul) with God. Yoga is the Divine science which disentangles the Jiva from the phenomenal world of sense-objects and links him with the Absolute"

- Sri Swami Sivananda

So this definition does not stand.

If yoga so good, then it should take place after school or before school but not during it.

This may be true, it may be very good for you, but I know a lot of religious activities that could help people have less stress, and depression but they would not be accepted in a public school environment.

How about we replace the yoga time for naps? That works for me. :P

leojm

Con

Sleep in school would be wonderful. lol

Ok, so it seems your still stuck to the argument that Yoga is religious. As I have mentioned earlier and proved that Yoga is not only religious.

My argument also makes sense. Like I said teens need Yoga, they need the relaxation. Like I also mentioned it improves their study skills and their GPA. America is not even on the top 5 smartest in their academics. [http://www.businessinsider.com...]

Now if we had Yoga, we might make into the top 5. It's so embarrassing how US isn't that smart. I mean you can pass a class with a D. So sad. In my country, you had to have strait A's in order to pass a class. Russians are very smart. Yoga will improve everything. It will also keep students busy and not off task. Maybe they will also take interest in learning. We need Yoga in public schools.

This is the end of my argument. Thank you for debating me.
Voters, please vote fairly.
Posted by abyteofbrain 3 years ago
abyteofbrain
Congratulations, although I don't agree with you. Yoga is based in new age/Hinduism, which is something public schools more than willingly teach. Non-religious yoga would be fine, but it wouldn't stay that way.
Posted by abyteofbrain 3 years ago
abyteofbrain
Posted by makhdoom5 4 years ago
makhdoom5
it is good thing to do.
i do personally.
not that kind of toga which girls do.
i do which relates to martial art lol.
well yoga is good thing for health.
its kind of tough but good
Vote Placed by DeFool 4 years ago
DeFool
SPENCERJOYAGE14leojmTied
Reasons for voting decision: Key question: "Is yoga non-religious, like a moment of silence?" PRO concedes that yoga is not necessarily a religious act, although maintaining that it creates a religious situation. This can be true of any action. Arguments CON.
Vote Placed by mikicat10 4 years ago
mikicat10
SPENCERJOYAGE14leojmTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con used a variety of sources but I noticed a few spelling mistakes...
Vote Placed by yay842 4 years ago
yay842
SPENCERJOYAGE14leojmTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made more convincing arguments than Pro and countered all of Pro's arguments.