Sitara
FutureLitigator

You can disagree with same sex marriage qithout being a bigot.

Sitara

Pro

My contention is that you can disagree with same sex marriage without being a bigot. I will give a serious of reasons and the con has the burden of proof to prove me wrong. 1. Many people disagree with same sex marriage for religious reasons. 2. Some of these people realize that freedom of belief is a right. 3. Many of these people also realize that the main objections to same sex marriage are religious in nature and that the government has no right to impose or forbid religion. 4. As such, these people vote in favor of gay rights. I am one of those opposed to same sex marriage but I voted against my own beliefs in favor of freedom in the Washington State elections, thus proving that you can be personally opposed, but still profreedom about the matter. It is now the con's turn to prove me wrong.
FutureLitigator

Con

I'd like to state that I hold the opinion that not supporting gay marriage CAN be an action that can be seen as discrimination. But what exactly is the debate topic asking?

big·ot noun\G2;bi-gət\
: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person;especially: a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group) (1)

So, is the instigator claiming that he doesn't have a strong dislike for same sex marriage, and only disagrees with their choices? If you don't agree with someone's idea, then by definition, you are bigoted towards their choices. I understand the instigator may have just not been able to express his/herself well, so let's take this on a question to question basis.

"1. Many people disagree with same sex marriage for religious reasons."

This topic is heavily debated. With every conversation of sexual orientation, someone's religious preference is taken into account. We in turn should take into account the dedication to one's religion. If they attend religious services on their individual Sabbath on a regular basis, and follow their religious guide word for word, than their opinions could vary to one who may believe in the same general idea that they do, but don't follow as strictly.

Different sects of religion can branch off of ideas, such as Christianity. Both Presbyterians and Catholics believe in Jesus being the Messiah, but may disagree on other facts, such as Mary, the mother of Jesus, being held in such high regard. If a member of the Catholic church follows the bible more strict than other members, he may see quotes in Leviticus to be more detrimental than other Catholics.

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."--Lev.20:13 (2)

In short, I believe that some religious men can make their own choices, and not have their religion dictate all of their personal opinions.

2. Some of these people realize that freedom of belief is a right.

First off, who are "these people?" I don't mean to make this the most formal debate ever held, but if you can explain your side clearly, it's hard to debate you because of it. I'll try to argue my point, regardless of the confusion.

When you express a freedom of belief, you are correct in stating that everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Not one single person on this earth can make your decisions or change your beliefs for you. Discriminating someone else's opinion, again by definition, is being a bigot. On an ethical standpoint, as long as you take no further action besides holding a personal opinion, then there is nothing wrong with stating that you aren't a bigot.

3. Many of these people also realize that the main objections to same sex marriage are religious in nature and that the government has no right to impose or forbid religion.

You may have to elaborate a little further in next rounds argument, because on a personal level I do not understand how this ties into bigotry. The American government has no power over the taxation or oppression of ideas released from religious organizations, although shares ideas by imposing laws than ban same sex marriage. So in this statement, the American government is considered as a group of bigots for persecuting and oppressing the opinions and ideas of others.

4. As such, these people vote in favor of gay rights.

Are you generalizing all people who disagree with same sex marriage will vote against their opinions? This statement is insanely over-generalized, without posing any statistics or examples besides your own personal experience. I can provide the example of the Bush administration proposing an Anti-Gay marriage bill, which more than proves that people that don't agree with same sex marriage can take action against it. (3)

1. http://www.merriam-webster.com...

2. http://skepticsannotatedbible.com...

3. http://www.washingtonpost.com...
Sitara

Pro

Con says: So, is the instigator claiming that he doesn't have a strong dislike for same sex marriage, and only disagrees with their choices? If you don't agree with someone's idea, then by definition, you are bigoted towards their choices. I understand the instigator may have just not been able to express his/herself well, so let's take this on a question to question basis.
I say: incorrect. It is not bigoted for people to have their own religious beliefs as long as they respect the rights of other people. Furthermore, I do not fit the profile of a bigot because I do not hate or dislike gays or bisexuals. I am the b in lgbt, so why would I hate myself. It is a false dichotomy to assume that disagreement equals hate or bigotry.
Pro says: This topic is heavily debated. With every conversation of sexual orientation, someone's religious preference is taken into account. We in turn should take into account the dedication to one's religion. If they attend religious services on their individual Sabbath on a regular basis, and follow their religious guide word for word, than their opinions could vary to one who may believe in the same general idea that they do, but don't follow as strictly.
I say: most antigay arguments are based on religious ideals that I have seen except for this one organization, NARTH I think it is.
Pro says: First off, who are "these people?" I don't mean to make this the most formal debate ever held, but if you can explain your side clearly, it's hard to debate you because of it. I'll try to argue my point, regardless of the confusion.
I say: You have committed the fallacy fallacy. I made it clear that "these people", people like me who disagree with same sex marriage but support freedom of belief, do not hate gays, or dislike them. We just have our own beliefs for whatever reason.
Pro says: Discriminating against someone's opinion is being a bigot.
I say: no it is not. It is an ad homenim to attack someone's character just because they have their own opinion and disagree with something. It is not hateful or bigoted to disagree.
Pro says: You may have to elaborate a little further in next rounds argument, because on a personal level I do not understand how this ties into bigotry. The American government has no power over the taxation or oppression of ideas released from religious organizations, although shares ideas by imposing laws than ban same sex marriage. So in this statement, the American government is considered as a group of bigots for persecuting and oppressing the opinions and ideas of others.
I say: I completely agree. Now we are getting somewhere. My entire point rests on the concept that people with varying beliefs can get along.
Pro says: Are you generalizing all people who disagree with same sex marriage will vote against their opinions? This statement is insanely over-generalized, without posing any statistics or examples besides your own personal experience. I can provide the example of the Bush administration proposing an Anti-Gay marriage bill, which more than proves that people that don't agree with same sex marriage can take action against it. (3)
I say: not at all. Some people who oppose same sex marriage on a personal level will vote against it, some are undecided, and some like me will vote in favor if gay rights even if they disagree. I am referencing the people who hole my position and vote for freedom. I am so sorry for the misunderstanding. Let me know if I should clarify anything else. :)
FutureLitigator

Con

FutureLitigator forfeited this round.
Sitara

Pro

Sitara forfeited this round.
FutureLitigator

Con

FutureLitigator forfeited this round.
Posted by StarTrek 3 years ago
StarTrek
But yes, just because you disagree with SSM does not mean you are a bigot.
Posted by StarTrek 3 years ago
StarTrek
You misspelled without*.