SirLordOliver
tvellalott

You can not prove anything with a degree of certainty

SirLordOliver

SirLordOliver

Pro

My basic argument is that it is impossible to prove anything so as to attain complete and utter certainty. As in, "this thing is 100% fact". I contend that absolutely nothing falls under this description as truth is not objective, but subjective in nature, and therefore does not actually exist and is a social construct. This includes all, even the most rigorous sciences and math fields. I would like to spend much time debating someone about this.

I will be short in my opening statement and develop my argument after I see what the opponent has to say to this and what they outline in the first message.
tvellalott

Con

I can prove that objective facts exist and there is at least one thing we can know with the upmost certainty.

Allow me to demonstrate...

"Objective truths exist" is objectively true and I know this with complete certainty.

There are two possibilities...

If objective truths exist, then my statement is true.
If no objective truths exist, my statement is still true because the statement "No objective truths exist" is objectively true.

I'll probably have to elaborate on this in further rounds, assuming my opponent wants to appeal to the possible paradox here. He should probably just concede though, since my argument is air-tight.
SirLordOliver

Pro

We do not know the current status of the existence of objective truth, therefore, how can you know which statement to make? That is like saying "this action I am about to do is either positive or negative". It does not tell us anything, much less create an air-tight argument.

And before my opponent chimes in with questions regarding how I can know that we know nothing, I would like to point out that I do not. I am merely here to point out flaws in the current system's way of thinking. Saying something such as, "we know the current system is flawed" is also a claim I can not make. I only offer a hypothetical, much in the same vein as our current body of knowledge, but this hypothetical goes more to explain the universe just by undermining our current paradox-riddled "explanations", no?

tvellalott

Con

tvellalott forfeited this round.
SirLordOliver

Pro

SirLordOliver forfeited this round.
tvellalott

Con

tvellalott forfeited this round.
SirLordOliver

Pro

SirLordOliver forfeited this round.
tvellalott

Con

tvellalott forfeited this round.
SirLordOliver

Pro

SirLordOliver forfeited this round.
tvellalott

Con

tvellalott forfeited this round.
Posted by SirLordOliver 4 years ago
SirLordOliver
Will do in the near future, johnnyis.
Posted by johnnyis 4 years ago
johnnyis
I'd very much enjoy taking you on in a debate on a similar or identical topic, LordSirOliver. Challenge me sometime. Do leave a long time limit, though, as I work quite the sporadic schedule.
Posted by tvellalott 4 years ago
tvellalott
You should really emphasise it if your debate is a short-time limit debate.
I wouldn't have accepted the challenge. >_< Sorry dude.
Vote Placed by K.GKevinGeary 4 years ago
K.GKevinGeary
SirLordOlivertvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: con was the first to ff. conduct pro.