debatojenvo
QuinnCR

You can't jump in the same river twice

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

debatojenvo

Pro

Hi, I think you can't jump in the same river twice even though it is common sense you can but common sense is wrong sometimes such when it was common sense that the world was flat, but now we know it is round. Now suppose you jump in the river Thames, you get back out and you jumped right back in. You wouldn't have jumped in the same river because right after you jumped in the fish moved a bit, the rocks did too so did the water.
So when you jumped in the second time the river isn't the same, it changed a tiny bit. So therefore you can't jump in the same river twice. What do you say to that?
QuinnCR

Con

Hi, I think that you can jump in the same river twice. First if someone asks you what river the Thames is you will say the Thames. If they ask you the same question a few seconds later you will give them the same response. You won't say "This is the Thames of now and that was the Thames of five seconds ago." Second, the fish are the fish, the rocks are the rocks, the water is the water, none are the river itself. They can change but the river will still be the river. Third, I am me, now that might not sound like it applies to this debate but if you break my nose I am still me. I do not become some other person I am still the same person, the river is the same river. And finally no one will tell you that you can jump in the exact same water, with the fish and rocks in the exact same positions. But it still is the same river.
debatojenvo

Pro

First of all i wish my opponent good luck. Now, my opponent stated that " if someone asks you what river the Thames is you will say the Thames. If they ask you the same question a few seconds later you will give them the same response. You won't say "This is the Thames of now and that was the Thames of five seconds ago." That is one of the similarities between the river you jumped into first and the river you jumped into the second time but the river isn't the same it has changed a tiny bit.Next my opponent said that" the fish are the fish, the rocks are the rocks, the water is the water". So let' say for example, my personality, my organs, my eyes, my nose all of that is a part of me just like the fish, the rocks and the water it is all part of the river.Finally my opponent stated that " if you break my nose I am still me. I do not become some other person I am still the same person, the river is the same river". You are a different person after you broke your nose but you are not a completely different person so people wouldn't you are a different person because they would think it means a completely different person. I look forward to the rest of the debate.
QuinnCR

Con

First, thank you. Second if this debate were about whether rivers change slightly I would concede right now. I couldn't agree more that rivers change, sometimes even in major ways! But this is not what the debate is about. Now to counter my opponent's argument that rivers change I would like to agree that rivers change. It is a part of what they are. If the fish and rocks and water didn't move it wouldn't be a river. Therefore to jump in the same river twice, for it to be a river both times, you Must end up jumping in different water with the rocks and fish having moved. To counter my opponent's argument about people I will say that if break my nose people will think I am different. There is no way to get around that. I am a slightly different person. I have new memories and have been through that experience. And it has changed me. But I am still me. I have changed but I am still the same person. And finally I would like to thank my opponent for posting this interesting debate. It is fun to argue these subjects.
debatojenvo

Pro

Thanks for debating with me it was fun. I would like to conclude that you can't jump in the same river twice which i have probably convinced you all so vote for me. thank you
QuinnCR

Con

Thank you for debating with me. It is the first online debate I have done (the last one on my account was my brother). I would finally like to say again that a river is only a river if it moves. My opponent would like you to believe that this is about jumping in the exact same water. But the debate is actually about jumping in the same river. And since I have shown that a river is only a river if it moves, you can have comfort that next time you jump in the a river twice. It will be the same river. Thank you, and please vote con.
Posted by UnderRaidedScore 1 month ago
UnderRaidedScore
This debate was offensive to me lol sorry pro not that good at this, you brought something good at first but it fell apart afterwards.
Posted by skipsaweirdo 1 month ago
skipsaweirdo
How high is twice?
Posted by vi_spex 1 month ago
vi_spex
can you jump twice?