You choose the topic

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

I want to have fun debate that doesn't take things too seriously. Whoever accepts can offer three possible topics and I'll choose the one I like best. If all of the topics con gives are bad, then I reserve the right to present my own.

No rules, just don't be a dick. Treat this debate lightly, and let's have some fun.

Hi Pro!
I searched for some topics and found some of them to be quite funny and interesting, which we could actually have a fun debate on!!!

Topics are -
Barbie doll is an icon
Dating techniques should not be taught in school
Crushes should be taken seriously

You may choose the topic and start writing or give your own and begin your debate :)
All the best!
Hoping for a good and fun debate with you!

I didn't manage my time well today, so my first round argument is going to be somewhat short. Although I do want to note that I really like these topics. They're lighthearted, but still have pretty fair ground. I'm looking forward to this round!

Crushes should be taken seriously.

Sexual health is an important part of human growth, and when we have crushes on someone it is important to treat them seriously so that we can understand ourselves better. Whether one is a three-year-old first becoming infatuated with their mother's friend, or a married middle-age man recognizing new feelings about someone not their spouse. Treating those feelings seriously allows one to explore their sexuality in a safe and healthy way.

Even with the latter example with a middle-aged man already in a committed relationship, it is healthy to recognize those feelings and treat them seriously. By delegitimizing crushes, we train ourselves to think that our feelings are invalid, and discourage critical exploration of our sexual and emotional identities.

Again, sorry for the short first round! I'll expand on this argument in better nuance in the next round.

Thank you for your argument Pro!

It is needless to say, I believe, that for the youth of this generation, having a crush on someone has, instead of becoming a serious one, is one just for entertainment. It becomes a source of enjoyment for both the person and her friends since as soon as her crush passes by, they just have a laugh, mock her, and she tends to blush.

There's a quote I would like to state here -
' Why do they call it a crush? Because that's how you feel when they don't feel the same in return.'
I truly agree with this quote.

It is all fine and good until you have a crush on a person and of course, they don't know about it. People feel that it's rather better for their crush not to know about their liking for them.
Having a crush is a very complicated process, after all. If they get to know that their crush does not like them, it becomes a source of stress to the person. Imagine having a crush on a person for 2 years, and later realising he has someone else one his mind who equally adores him, it would lead to a serious emotional breakdown which would end up in emotional and mental stress. You would go down from thinking about him all day, to barely doing anything at all. It would affect the basic framework of your mind, remove the concentration which you had, because your mind would actually be on the fact why he doesn't like you.

Sometimes, the person who we tend to have a crush on belongs to the large group of the grade, having those hot girls and "cool boys". Hence when we have a crush on them, and one of the various "ears" of the gang gets to know about that, you tend to become a subject of mockery for the entire group, possibly the entire grade. At that moment you wouldn't be able to laugh it off if it's a serious one, but if its a fun one, you could even go and propose him and just come back, laughing.

To me it seems to be a very complicated and nerving process and I think crushes should remain as a source of fun and not serious. if you really want it to be serious, then its better to have a serious relationship with him, rather than drooling at the sight of him every time thinking about "serious" things you could do if you were together...
Over to Pro...

The thesis of this rebuttal is as follows: your feelings are valid. I don't do much work on this in my constructive round, and in general I think too much emphasis on semantic debates water down substantive clash, but in order to really impact out my rebuttal I need to start with a discussion on just exactly what a crush is. A crush is a feeling that one person has towards another - whether that is romantic, sexual, admiration or any combination in between. Those are valid, regardless of one's ability to act on them or the response of one's peers.

So crushes are not just entertainment, they are an essential part of our emotional well being. one's friends can tease them for having a crush, but that doesn't diminish the importance of the crush. If it doesn't work out, then humor can be a good way to cope with those feelings. Con makes this point several times over, and I think it's important to note it again - relationships are complicated, but independent of whether out feelings for another person manifest into a full-on relationship, we owe it to ourselves to treat those feelings seriously.

On the matter of emotional devastation, it sounds like this fictional person in Con's example could use some serious counseling. If she or he felt that strongly about a person that it was the driving force behind them living, yet they couldn't bring themselves to try to pursue it, then is seems like there is some deeper emotional or psychology trauma that should be worked through. But the answer is not to de-legitimize our feelings entirely, but rather to be open and honest with ourselves so that we can work through them. I have been with my current partner for what will be a year on Sunday, but there are still people I've dated in the past that I think about fondly from time-to-time. In some ways, I still haven't gotten over them, but having that crush doesn't mean I have to act on it. So Con's alternative of just being in a relationship with the person one has a crush on is a bad one because it assumes that people in loving, committed relationships don't still have crushes. Love is messy, complicated, and powerful - if we don't treat those feelings seriously then we lose the essential spark that makes our love so special.

So to really drive this point home, crushes are important for our emotional development. We never stop growing, whether we're in middle school or nursing homes we still have room to become better. Crushes are just one more facet of the of the complicated and wonderful mosaic of human development.

Finally (because I couldn't find an organic way to fit this in anywhere else) teenagers will always have trauma and pettiness. All we can do is learn and grow so that we don't give that pettiness power. The way your friends might respond to your feelings in junior high shouldn't direct you in your formative emotional growth. The world is massive, and you make whatever space your want in it.

ishi911 forfeited this round.

Love, love, love, la la love.
la la love.

makes the world go round.

ishi911 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 4 months ago
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-