You do mathematical computations everyday

First Round - Acceptance

I accept, and look forward to proving math's useless, Ashley

Are you a college student?

Do you know how to tell time?

Do you have a schedule to adhere to?

Are you a college student? Yes, what your point punk?

Do you know how to tell time? Yes, I can look at a clock and determine the time but in these day and ages with all the technological advances, how can't you tell time. Clocks still have the custom little hand, and big hand but they are numbered so I'm not sure how you could not. Even if I didn't know how to tell time, I could look at my phone, or cable box, etc...

Do you have a schedule to adhere to? Not really, besides having to abide by a college schedule, most of the day consist by doing random events that pop up by the day. I can say though, that there is a number of minutes that people put on doing things by but in my case, I can safely admit that having no job doesn't make you adhere by a schedule. You have so much time to do things, that you don't have plan or adhere to a schedule all the time (especially in my case).

Okay, I will make my point very clear and concise in just a few minutes... I just want to comment on some of your answers for I agree to your points...

You are 100% correct when you talk about technology and the advancements the human race has created. My point to this question was to simply find out if you could complete this task of telling time which leads me to my next question of adhering to a schedule.. Because if you have a schedule then you obviously had to create that schedule, and in order to complete the schedule you have to have a concept of time and know how much time is needed to fit into your everyday routine. You wouldn't schedule a class at the same time as another? Would you? Because then you have a problem.. if you have two classes that are two hours long each you are faced with having to decide when to put two hours here and two hours there.. and if you put them in the same time slot, that would make it impossible to be in two places at the same time, right? You are adding and subtracting hours out of your day...

Also, if you have to be in class you obviously have to travel in order to get there, right? Because I doubt that you live in the classroom and I also doubt that every class you have is in the same classroom. So, if you don't live in the classroom then you have to travel to class.. When ever we travel we have to take into consideration the concept of time; and if we don't then we may not be able to adhere to our schedule. We have to give ourselves a certain amount of time to get from point A to point B which involves a mathematical computation. You may not be writing it down and documenting every computation but in your head you are subtracting minutes and hours out of your day to allow yourself to complete your day.

Good points But,

Everyday routines vary from person to person. Not to put anyone down here, but do homeless people adhere to a schedule? I'm pretty sure there day consist of random events that come and go. I'm pretty sure that they don't take time into consideration except possibly that it's day and night. I've never been homeless so I can't speak on my behalf but I have encountered a teacher that used to be homeless. I recall him saying that it was a day by day process, and the way he did things did not consist of doing them by a pattern. Everything was random, and time wasn't a factor. He didn't write up a schedule or decide that you know what, I think I can get to this place in this amount of time, so I should leave then. Everything happened not based off time or adhering by a schedule but by each day being random.

You also have a great point, and even though a homeless person may not have to follow a schedule they have to worry about necessities such as food, clothing, and shelter. They might be homeless but they still have to think about time and how long they might be without home and/or a job. They have to figure out how to make money in order to pay for their necessities. As humans, we have instincts and desires, and when we are hungry it becomes a desire to have food and it is instinctive to find the food.. and without money, it is hard to obtain food. It is most likely the case that a homeless person finds a way to make money to get the food.. and once again we have a mathematical computation because the homeless person is faced to make a decision on what he or she can now afford.

Good Points, But most homeless people hold signs out to get money, but how much do they actually get and spend on food itself? Not to be offensive to homeless people, but that money will most likely go towards booze. Obviously you need food to live but the percentage of homeless people that die is alarming because the food they obtain is not of what they earned from money. They don't have a schedule or a notepad to write down how much money they have, how much they need to get food, etc... I don't think they use math when they go about their day. Not to imply that all homeless people don't have an education but how many can actually use a calculator.

You are right once again.. I see a lot of homeless people holding signs or asking for money.. I never give in to that though because I feel that there might be alternative motives behind where the money is going, such as the one's you mentioned above. Instead, I will give them food or water to satisfy their needs.

I don't know how much money a homeless person makes? That is a really good question though.. Maybe you can ask the next homeless person you see how much money they make in a day? And then do the calculations yourself!

Good Points Again But, Calculation, Smalculation!

The percentage of homeless people that die is alarming, and it has to do with the lack of necessities shelter, "food", and water. I doubt a homeless person makes enough to feed themselves daily, so next time I do see one I will be real and ask them. It's a weekly thing, and most of the time they don't get enough money to even eat a healthy meal if that. It's McDonalds or the highway sadly.

Thanks for the fun debate, Ashley!
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Poor debate. Con's strongest point was the homeless people, but Pro refuted that