Harrison_Frank_Box
Badman

You do not need Religion to have morals.

Harrison_Frank_Box

Harrison_Frank_Box

Pro

I will argue that we do not need religion to have morals, as in properly decide right or wrong. I have recently done some work on it at Sec School so interested to see peoples arguments. It might take a while as im busy so bear with.
Badman

Con

Welcome back to DDO, qopel.

I will enjoy this debate.
Harrison_Frank_Box

Pro

Hello Dude thanks for accepting my debate and I hope its a good one.

Morals come from human conscience. Its known that murder is wrong and it has before the creation of the main religions of today, obviously there are murderers but things can affect there view on morals and obviously these should not be taken seriously. I am a atheist and a proud one, I do not follow religion in any way but does that mean I will just go around killing people and raping? No of course not because I know its wrong and everyone who's not damaged does either. Religion was a sort of control system for curious humans at the time it was good at controlling the populous by giving rewards for being good and pain for bad. Don't you think this is a bit selfish? How you only act good or bad because of whether you'll burn or you will live in heaven for eternity is just for gain not right or wrong. Religions like to use hell as a way of scaring people to be religious and doing good things by force. However there a good atheists everywhere, who are not presented by this hell but still do the right thing as its right or wrong by our conscience. In the end of it the way your brought up significantly affects this, if your brought up being taught that murder is right, you will fell to say so. It is our parents who tell us right or wrong and there teachings live in our conscience for us to remember. Like many people are so far indoctrinated in religion that they accept nothing less than faith or religion and not evidence as they refuse to seek the facts because of there upbringing, us humans are very reliant on our parents at a young age so what they tell us is vital for saying what is right or wrong. A quote from the bible: Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT) Even the 'morals' from religion aren't usually moral, promoting rape, murder, slavery and human sacrifice. Thank you one again for accepting and I'm interested in your argument.
Badman

Con

My opponent argues that morals come from human conscience but this is a completely false statement. Morals come form strict regimented rules and regulations that are always in the form of . Utilitarianism contradicts itself as do all non-religious sources of morality but the burden of proof is on Pro to assert any of these which he has failed to do.

Murder isn't wrong, it's simply a legal term for killing that isn't legislated. Rape isn't wrong either. My opponent disregards the ethical outlooks of murderers stating "obviously these should not be taken seriously" which is not only discriminatory to murderers but also baseless. Why is it right for the government to order legalized killings of terrorists but not right for the terrorists to murder for their freedom? Tell me, please.

My opponent stats that religion was a sort of control system by giving rewards for 'good' and pain for 'bad' but this is the entire concept of morality. Without a system where the people doing 'bad' receive an unstoppable, eternal form of suffering and the people doing good the opposite, there is absolutely no motivation to be 'good' whatsoever. In addition to this, there is no possible way to differentiate 'good' from 'bad' without religion as these concepts only exist within the constraints of a religion.
Harrison_Frank_Box

Pro

Hello dude and thanks for replying.
I would first like to say that your argument on that morals don't come from human conscience is wrong, it is actually hard lined into are genomes and brains from tutoring from parents. No the whole 'this is just the concept of morality' is I believe wrong morality can be done for no gain purposes does walking across the road helping an OAP give you something? Of course not. Also bad things can be done with no gain too. For example bullying, in this case the bully gets nothing from bullying the child except from the feel of humiliating them. Both of these things make the human brain fell better about themselves whether its good nor bad. Now alt of morality in a country is based on views of a developing society, and the whole 'terrorists fighting for their freedom' thing, Just. No. Anyway the legalized killings of these terrorists are long-term morals to protect people from terrorist attacks or wars and such they may seem bad in the short term but in the long term can prevent lives lost.
Also I am slightly concerned that you view morality as a motivation for gain. Morality isn't always for gain, its for right or wrong the view of what's right or wrong is the whole concept of morality. And rape isn't wrong either?! If you have any good morals you would know that using physical force to have sex with a women is immoral and against the women's rights. It seems that you believe that because I don't have a gain in heaven or pain in heaven I'm not entitled to saying I have morals as theists do. The fact is its sad if you just get your morals from religion for only gain or avoidance of pain, which is just painfully worrying. Society has decided over the years what's classed as right or wrong and so have I i know that murdering an innocent person is wrong, just because I having nothing to gain from not doing it doesn't mean I will do it.
Badman

Con

Badman forfeited this round.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
You do not need religion to have morals. How true.But it sure helps to know that there is a judgment day coming.Because it is, whether you believe it or not.And it does not matter how good you are nor how bad you are not.And since God is not holding anyones sin against them, there has to be other things to consider.Like all mankind has had spiritual death in his spirit since Adam.And you cannot get good enough to dislodge that.But the blood sacrifice of Jesus is the only remedy.Take his life in you , and that will drive out spiiritual death.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Harrison_Frank_BoxBadmanTied
Vote Placed by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
Pfalcon1318
Harrison_Frank_BoxBadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF from CON