You should be able to vote at the age of 16 in the US

16-year-olds should be allowed to vote in the US. Prior to the 26th amendment being passed, you had to be 21 to vote. The 26th amendment lowered the age to 18. Lowering the age has already been successful once, why not do it again? About 10% of 16-year-olds work. Many complain that these numbers are dropping, which they are, but giving 16-year-olds the right to vote would make them feel more like adults, possibly bringing up the employment rate.

I am currently a 16 year old, and I, like many other elegable voters, know nothing about how a country should be run. Sure, I have my views, but really, I don't know anything about commerce, foreign affairs, or even national security. And I, not to toot me own horn, feel as though I am very concerned with politics as far as teenagers go. Why, therefore should we allow more ignorant people to determine the fate of our country?

16 year-olds are minors: they do not have adult status. Ergo no vote

You are not forced to vote. If any sixteen year old felt as if they didnt have the information to elect a leader they wouldn't need to. In addition, 16 year olds with jobs pay taxes. Therefore, them not getting to vote goes against one of the principles our country was built upon, "no taxation without representation". This is one of the main things that the U.S was fighting for during the Revolutionary War, for us to not follow it now is hypocritical.

If you give minors the right to vote, you have to give them other rights as well. For example, you cannot say that I am allowed to vote, thereby determining partially the fate of the nation, but not allowed to order things off of infomercials. This is mad!

Also, just because a minority is taxed does not mean they need a say in government. Immigrants who are not yet citizens are taxed and cannot vote. 4 year-olds buy things and are taxed, but surely you aren't going to suggest letting them vote!

16 year olds who work get taxed on the money they make through their job. Therefore, they are being taxed without getting to vote for their representation. No taxation without representation.

But see, you're missing the big picture, friend! Sure, they're not being represented. Neither are 4 year-olds! Neither are legal immigrants! Neither am I! I was taxed just today on purchasing a new Lego buildable! What if I feel that sales tax is to high!
(do ignore my age; consider instead a 12 year-old)

Also, people who don't vote are not without representation. Everyone is allowed to write to their local senator or congressman or governor. In America, we have a representational democracy!
Posted by Brandon221423 10 months ago
The reason the original age was lowered because thousands of 18 year old Americans were drafted into the army if they are being lead to war they should at least be able to vote on their leader.
Posted by the_banjo_sender 10 months ago
Yeah, I was probably exaggerating upon my ignorance. I like to think I know what's going on, but regardless of your apparent 15 year old intelligence, until you are part of the work force, are made to pay your own taxes, and are a genuine part of the adultarian (a new word that I think should be made more popular, thank you very much) society, certain aspects of government simply cannot be known.
Posted by bananaedmonkey 10 months ago
both Pro and Con used fallacies as their main argument.

10 out of 10 best debate ever
Posted by DebatingPolitics97 10 months ago
con you should learn more about the country then, I am 15 and i have a better knowledge of our country and what has worked and has not worked than most 30 year old people. Unfortunately I completely agree with you on this though... Most 18-30 year old citizens do not know anything of our country or the candidates that they vote for. These people simply vote for the person they think is cool or that they believe will give the most free stuff. Bernie Sanders and Barack Hussein Obama both used this strategy to capture the minds of these low information voters. We can not have 16 year old voters who, at the moment, can't even locate the 50 states on a map never mind tell which one a presidential candidate came from or what they have done in that state.