Daniel_Nemes
Bolas

You should be afraid to speak your beliefs.

Daniel_Nemes

Pro

Human nature supports my argument in that fear originates from non-acceptance. Humans desire to be comforted and they desire to be together. To state one's beliefs and to be rejected because of said beliefs causes fear and sadness that effects the person negatively. Negativity is generally not desired in humans, so they are naturally fearful of loss and rejection. You should be afraid to speak your beliefs.
Bolas

Con

Yes, humans, we, live in fear of not being accepted. Why should we have to live in fear everyday that we won't be liked by this person or that person because of what we believe in? No one should be afraid to speak their mind. No one should live in a world of fear.
We, as a whole, need to come together and stop people from doing this. You can't tell someone that what they believe in is wrong. You can't take a person and judge him/her because she is an atheist and you're a Christian. Or some scenario such as that.
My argument is built in the foundation of current events. Let's take, gay marriage, for example. Should gay people be allowed to get married, my opinion yes. Now, the point is, that many gay people are discriminated and ridiculed for the gender they like. They are no different than the rest of us, so why are they treated as a different "Thing." They are the exact same person as they are if they say nothing and if they say what they believe in. My question is, what makes a human being different if he/she shares something they believe in than if they don't?
Daniel_Nemes

Pro

Nice argument.

As humans, we are considered animals. Now, I am sure you have heard the phrase: "you can take an animal out of the wild, but you cannot that the wild out of an animal." This is very true for humans in terms of fear. While humans should not be afraid, they cannot eliminate the feeling. My argument is, if you are afraid to do something, do not do it. Fear produces anxiety and stress. Both of which are harmful to the human body and mind.
Bolas

Con

First off, thank you. And secondly, that is a very well argument.
Yes, you are correct. We cannot take the feeling out of us. But we can cope with it. We, as people, have lived for centuries with fear. In fear of something, whether it be plague to being forsaken by the god(s) you believe in. Fear produces many things, and anxiety and stress do come with it. But look at what has been accomplished by civilizations before us who have lived in fear. Let's take the Ancient Greeks and the Ancient Egyptians; for example, the Egyptians feared the color red. It meant evil to them, and yet, still, they came together as a whole and built great pyramids. The pyramids of Giza. The Great Sphinx. The Ancient Greeks, lived in fear of the gods they believed in. Athens, was built for Athena. That angered their God Poseidon, and they feared the waters for the duration of their age. Yet, that fear drove them to make boats that could endure his rage and fury. The boats that the Ancient Greek civilization made, were unmatched until modern times. If we come together and we don't judge each other because of the fears we have, we even, could create and have accomplishments just as great.
Daniel_Nemes

Pro

Unfortunately, the problem of fear lies in the peers. When one person expresses fear in speaking their beliefs, the primary focus is on what the peers will think. While your argument is valid and sound, I would have to disagree with the proposal that suggests the change of the speaker. The problem of speaking your beliefs, and the fear that comes with it, depends on the peers. Until an augmentation of the mentality of society, fear will rein supreme over the minds of those whom hide their thoughts. So, in conclusion, fear comes naturally. So, it is natural and right to fear speaking your beliefs.

I thank my opponent for the opportunity to debate such a timely topic.

To quote the 12th Doctor: "Let me tell you about scared. Your heart is beating so hard -- I can feel it through your hands! There's so much blood and oxygen pumping through your brain, it's like rocket fuel. Right now, you could run faster and you could fight harder. You can jump higher than ever in your life. And you are so alert, it's like you can slow down time. What's wrong with scared? Scared is a super power! It's your super power!"

And Clara Oswald: "I know you're afraid, but being afraid is alright. Because didn't anybody ever tell you that fear is a superpower? Fear can make you faster and cleverer and stronger. And one day, you're going to come back to this barn, and on that day, you are going to be very afraid indeed. But that"s ok. Because if you"re very wise, and very strong, fear doesn't have to make you cruel or cowardly" fear can make you kind. It doesn't matter if there"s nothing under the bed or in the dark, so long as you know it's ok to be afraid of it. So, listen. If you listen to nothing else, listen to this. You're always going to be afraid, even if you learn to hide it. fear is like" a companion. A constant companion, always there. But that's ok. Because fear can bring us together. Fear can bring you home. I'm going to leave you something, just so you"ll always remember" fear makes companions of us all."
Bolas

Con

I thank my opponent as well.

We depend on each other to survive. Look at each person as a building block. When one person says something, and they hurt due to what people think, that building block is destroyed. What happens when every block is destroyed because if someone else? Survival decreases. It will always decrease. When people live in fear they tend to not fight back. Dictatorships, slavery, etc. have made people live in fear, and only some of those people used that adrenaline to fight. When most people live in fear, they continue to live under the rule of one person that controls their life since they are scared to do anything with their own. The majority of people that live in fear start to lose their freedom, their hope, their will to continue on. If we live in constant fear, this will happen to the majority of people.

Again, I thank my opponent for this debate. You have brought up well put together arguments each round.