amercado
amemoli

You should follow Stoic principles

amercado

Pro

You should follow the Stoic principles of apathy. It is beneficial to suffer neither pleasure of pain so that one may live a good life. Epictetus argued that one source of pain in our lives in our attachment to objects. He claims that if we cease to have emotional attachment to objects that we will in return never feel pleasure or pain. Having emotional attachment to trivial objects will first create pleasure and then cause unnecessary pain is unnecessary, thus living a life based on Stoic principles is beneficial.
amemoli

Con

The Stoic way of living is a very non relatable way to live today. They not only want us to have no attachments to objects, but also to people. To argue that you should not have an attachment to a person so you will remain emotionless if something happens to them is unrealistic. Do you not have an attachment to your parents? A sibling or friend? The stoic way of thinking would leave you with less feelings of remorse in your life, however, I seriously doubt anyone could live detached from all objects and people.
amercado

Pro

The Stoics do argue for people to remove attachment from people, but this is not an unrealistic goal. According to the Stoic Epictetus in "The Enchiridion" calls for someone to remind themselves what the general nature of an something is in order to help remove attachment. For a someone who is thinking about a wife, friend or mother they need to remind themselves that that person is ultimately a human being and thus they are mortal. One has to accept that their loved ones will one day die. Attachment to people clouds the mind from accepting this truth, and thinking that a loved one will not die what is really unrealistic.
amemoli

Con

I do understand the method in how he wants us to detach ourselves from things and people, I'm just saying it's unrealistic to think a person can be so emotionless. I know it is unrealistic to hope that people are immortal and will never have to leave us. I think what's tricky about thinking this way is that most people love the people and things around them and will be ultimately affected no matter how hard they try to remain stoic. I'm saying the unrealistic part is trying to become detached and therefore emotionless in the first place.
amercado

Pro

The Stoic way of thinking calls for one to be able to control their emotions and thus feel no pleasure or pain. It calls for one to be able to control their emotions and reactions to things which is a noble character trait to have. Epictetus alcalled for his readers to "never entertain any abject thought, nor too eagerly covet anything" in "The Enchiridion." This argument means that there are unpleasant things in the world, but they are ultimately out of our control, and therefore the best way to handle them is to not entertain them with emotion, but to just not react and accept them. Living a Stoic way of life calls for one to be able to understand what they can control.
amemoli

Con

A Stoic way to live is no way to live at all in my opinion. Who wants to live a life free of emotions towards people or things? If we actually did follow Stoic principles there would be no love in the world. A world without emotions, where everyone is detached from everyone and every thing sounds like a boring way to live to me. It might result in a less stressful life overall, but I think you would lose more then you would gain. I would rather be sad for a little amount of time if someone died then to live my life without ever getting attached to anybody.