4567TME
Benjy

You shouldn't have to read the book in order to understand its movie adaptation.

4567TME

Con

First round will be acceptance only.

A common refrain for critically/commercially unsuccessful movies based on books among fans is "You needed to read the book to understand it." I am trying to convey that this is inadvertently acknowledging a poor screenplay. If a film needs its viewers to read a book to understand the plot, this is a bad movie. Pro will have to debate that it is okay for a film to require plot knowledge from its viewers.
Benjy

Pro

I accepted your challenge

To fully understand the full storyline of the movie you have to read the book version.
i do believe an example is needed:
The Lord of the Rings trilogy is a good example the movie does not follow but it is almost the same. when i watched Lord of the Rings i did not fully understand but the book does explain many things that are unclear in the movie.
4567TME

Con

Thank you kindly for accepting my challenge.

Before we get to the literal debate, I do believe it is necessary to point out two (2) counts of the word "I" not being capitalized in my opponent's argument.

"when i watched Lord of the Rings i did not fully understand but the book does explain many things that are unclear in the movie."
This does nothing to disprove my statement -- you have only conceded either poor writing or a lack of understanding the film/story.

My argument stands that a film should suit as many people as possible -- this means fully explaining the plot in a concise and clear manner. My opponent used no proof to suggest I was incorrect in suggesting this -- all he used is an example of the exact thing I'm complaining about.
Benjy

Pro

I seem to have misunderstood.
4567TME

Con

"I seem to have misunderstood."

You could have fixed that by posting a legitimate argument. I can't debate because I haven't been given any real points to work off.
Benjy

Pro

Benjy forfeited this round.