RealDebates
BAAHHB

You shouldn't start a business unless people are asking you to

BAAHHB has forfeited round #2.
Started: 12/6/2017 Category: Economics
Updated: 3 days ago Status: Debating Period

RealDebates

Pro

Thank you for the opportunity to debate the motion that "you shouldn"t start a business unless people are asking you to". I believe this motion, which originally is a quote from Derek Sivers (notorious businessman) to be true due to three reasons, which are: Demand, Specialized, Time.

Before I begin, I would like to redefine this quote to mean "you shouldn"t start a business unless there is a large demand for it".

The first reason that I believe you shouldn"t start a business unless people are asking you to is because there is a demand already there for your product/service. This means that it is easier to gain customers than conventional business operations. One case study example is with Fortune"s (2017) number one fastest growing company, Natural Health Trends.

Natural Health Trends" subsidiaries offers its customers personal care products, wellness, and quality of life products (NHTC, n.d.). This company, with its subsidiaries, used the strong market demand for quality healthcare products to its advantage, and the market for skin-care products is worth US$128.1 billion according to statista.com (n.d.). Yin and Pryor (2012) state that the great demand for such beauty products is due to society"s use of physically attractive models which set the standards of beauty. This is because physical attractiveness is seen as a major component of consumer marketing.

If there is a company that is created without a large demand for the product, they are more likely to fail. An example of such a company is one that operates on offering the lowest prices to compete with large businesses that are already operating within the market. Shirai (2015) states that high quality and low prices (HQLP) are contradictory terms, and can damage customer perceptions on the company"s product as it may be understood as being a lie, and instead the product is of low value, to match the price. Also, by using such a pricing strategy, you sacrifice monetary gain.

In the example above, when there is a lack of demand, you have a lower chance of succeeding due to having to adopt unsatisfactory pricing strategies to make up for the lack of market share your company has within an established market.

For the reasons above, I beg of you to support my motion.

References

Fortune, (2017). Natural health trends.
Received December 6 from http://fortune.com...

Natural Health Trends Corporation (NHTC), (n.d.). Company.Retrieved December 6 from http://www.naturalhealthtrendscorp.com...

Shirai, M. (2015). Impact of "high quality, low price" appeal on consumer evaluations. Retrieved December 6 from http://www.tandfonline.com...

Statista, (n.d.). Size of the global skin care market from 2012 to 2024.Retrieved December 6 from https://www.statista.com...

Yin, B. & Pryor, S. (2012). Beauty in the age of marketing. Retrieved December 6 from ftp://ftp.repec.org...
BAAHHB

Con

Businesses are typically made by people who enjoy doing an activity and realise they can make a job out of it. Ever heard of the term "If you enjoy what you're doing you will never work a day in your life" it means the job is something you enjoy doing. and there will almost always be a demand for the items, or activity you are doing. Jewelers make jewlery because they like the activity, and they take pride in the result. Opening a business should be your idea, and choice, not that of others.
RealDebates

Pro

Although businesses are typically made by people who enjoy doing an activity, they don't necessarily succeed. Rand Paul stated once that nine out of ten businesses fail within their first four years. You stated that there is always a demand for items, which may be somewhat true, but that doesn't mean that the demand for an item is spread out evenly. Typically, market types that are run as an oligopoly usually take more customers than the other business running in the market.

You also stated that opening a business should be your choice, and my argument isn't saying that it shouldn't be. I think, however, that if you were to create a business which can survive past four years, you need to have a loyal customer base as well as strong demand for your product/service.

I will now unpack my second argument which is specialized, and time. If your business has a niche in the market, you will develop a greater consumer following, in less time than it would usually take you if you were to be a "copycat" company (think China). Usually, a niche proposed to the general population will have many begging you for it to become a reality.

Small businesses such as cafes may find it difficult to grow, and maintain a profit stream due to high competition, hence why "you shouldn't start a business unless there is a large demand for it." They will most-likely just end up like the other 90 percent out there.

Thank you, and I beg for you to support my motion.