Phronesis
dcarlozzi

You work out to look good and not to be strong or work out not to look good but to be strong.

Phronesis

Con

For one thing that I find is people who work out and they look muscular, strong, and good looking, but when you ask them to lift this heavy weight or ask them how much do you lift. they can't even past 100lbs. Honestly i believe that its more important to work on your strength before you work on how good-looking you are.
Just as people used to say "don't judge a book by its cover" you shouldn't think someone is strong just cause they look strong.
Personally i believe you cant have one without the other. but which should you work on first, which one is more important.
But this is what i think. Tell me what you think. (PS i just want to know simply because my friend says he doesn't care about being strong just to look good.)
dcarlozzi

Pro

I think we are talking about two different things. It depends on what someone wants to get out of the workout. Building muscle strength is important for heart health, amongst other things. There are many ways a person can work out to "look good" without building muscle strength. Dancing or many other cardio workouts help people loose weight without building muscle. That is why I say it is two different things, or even situations. I think it depends on the person.
Phronesis

Con

Phronesis forfeited this round.
dcarlozzi

Pro

dcarlozzi forfeited this round.
Phronesis

Con

Phronesis forfeited this round.
dcarlozzi

Pro

dcarlozzi forfeited this round.
Posted by bettyboo95 2 years ago
bettyboo95
I think this would change depending on the person.
Many people will work out to look good. To give themselves more confidence and/or be more attractive to the opposite sex. Others may work out because they want to be strong, but you don't have to be all muscle to be strong.
Personally I work out to be healthy. I don't care much about the rest as long as I'm healthy.
Posted by zmikecuber 2 years ago
zmikecuber
Yeah. Looks don't necessarily mean anything. I'm a short skinny teenager, but I've done more a$$-busting manual labor than most guys my age.