robertqiu
Xboy57

Young adult fiction does more good than harm.

robertqiu

robertqiu

Pro

Hi Xboy57, you wanted me to challenge you to a debate so I came up with a topic. I am for pro side. Today I will debate whether young adult fiction books do more good than harm, and I say more good.

I define young adult fiction as books such as Harry Potter, Twilight, etc.

My 3 main contentions are here, but I will elaborate in the next round:

Contention 1: Popular/Generates Revenue
Contention 2: Stepping stone
Contention 3: Main book supply for young adults (A.K.A teenagers)

Once you accept, I will elaborate in the next round. Good luck!
Xboy57

Con

Thank you for challenging me to a debate. This is going to be my first debate. I await your debates. :)
robertqiu

Pro

Ok, here we go.

Contention 1: Popular/Generates Revenue
Who hasn't heard of Twilight? Or Harry Potter? These books are immensely popular, and they have a remarkable market. Teenagers love them. Not only do teenagers read them, but also adults, and younger audiences. And the purpose why YA (young adult fiction) even exists is for entertainment. What's the harm? If people love them, and it is meant to entertain the people, then how does it harm? Obviously, the main purpose of these books (satisfying readers) is fulfilled, so there is absolutely no reason why it will do harm to readers. And besides, since they are popular, they are bought a lot. Therefore these books generate a lot of revenue for the government and can reduce the debt, so this is another benefit.

Contention 2: Stepping Stone
What I mean by this is that it is a "stepping stone" from books like Percy Jackson, for audiences 8-12, to books like a Song of Ice and Fire intended for full-grown adults. Without this readers in between would have no books to read, and they would have to transfer from Percy Jackson, where everything, the battles, the romance, and the vocabulary is mild, to adult books where kids can only recognize about 1 out of every 10 words- well, not that extreme, but something like that. The impact of this is that it serves as a bridge between different books intended for different age groups, and without this, kids will have a harder time reading adult books as they cannot gradually transfer. Think of it like this- with YA, it is like a sloped path, but without YA, it is a sudden vertical rise that cannot possibly be traveled across.

Contention 3: Main Book Supply for Young Adults (Teenagers)
Without YA books, then what could YA read? YA books are intended for YA audiences, and without them, duh- YA have nothing to read about. First of all, this means they will not read, therefore losing vocabulary and reading practice, which is important. Second, they will be bored, and will resort to video games, which is not nearly as good as YA books. Third, YA book writers will lose their jobs. All these impacts are pretty significant.

I await your arguments. You can refute if you want.
Xboy57

Con

Ok, here we go for my first argument I will be talking about the violent aspect.

1.Violence
As everyone knows in the Twilight series there is two main "men" in the book, Jacob and Edward. Also we know that girls can get very aggressive so girls might start fighting and arguing about who is better, Team Jacob or Team Edward. Second these book are filled with violence that some younger preteens might attempt to repeat.

2.Might Get Very Creative Ideas
By this I mean that some people are not mature enough to know they aren't to repeat everything they see. Even if they are YA they still might not be mature enough. Also if a younger child of the age of 8 read a Harry Potter book they might try to imitate trying to be a wizard.

3.Religion
As you being a Christian as well as me you should be able to understand this next point. Christians would not like these books because of the witchcraft and such goes against the beliefs that there is no such thing as witches and that only God can make miracles.

These are my arguments.
robertqiu

Pro

Thank you for your arguments.

Refutation to contention 1: Violence
Eh, I don't find much logic in this case, but nevertheless I will try to refute it. No offense, seriously. First of all, books can represent violence, but movies represent violence even more. Why don't we just ban movies then? Second, books can be avoided, so violence-haters are not forced to read it. It is there just as entertainment for the people who want it. So therefore even if violence may be represented, it has little harm, if there isn't harm at all.

Refutation to contention 2: Might get very creative ideas
We are talking about young adults, unfortunately. And YA novels are suited to YA audiences, so there wouldn't be much harm. A 8 year old child is not in the age group. And even if he/she wants to imitate a wizard, why not? I mean, what's the harm? Why not let them get a little creative, have a childhood? When they grow up they will lose that habit, right? It's not like they would try to jump off a building and try to levitate themselves with a twig. Not going to happen, buddy.

Refutation to contention 3: Religion
Yes, I am Christian. And I read Percy Jackson. Do I believe in Greek Gods? No.

Refuted.

Nah, just kidding. But I mean, you wouldn't possibly believe in something just because it's in a book. You can read it for entertainment, but you could obviously realize that you are already a christian, or jew, or whatever. You wouldn't be brainwashed by a book, am I right? And even if this is not so, strict religionists would stray away from books that goes against their beliefs, as with my 1st refutation. It is there as an option, but not mandatory.

So there it is. By the way, just a heads up: you're supposed to refute my contentions. So, yeah, that's it!
Xboy57

Con

I am sorry my arguments were stupid is was my first debate on this site but I will try my best to refute your arguments.

1.Popular/Generates Revenue
First of all books do not generate money for the goverment therefore it can not lower debt. If anything these types of books would generate revenue for the authors and publishers of the book. So this is a false accusation.

This is actually all i can refute and i await to see the results.
Posted by likespeace 3 years ago
likespeace
Xboy57, if you don't strongly believe young adult fiction is harmful, why did you take on this debate? A good starting point is to debate what you actually believe. Debating what you do not believe generally requires research.
Posted by robertqiu 3 years ago
robertqiu
me too. Good luck bro
Posted by Xboy57 3 years ago
Xboy57
oh ok i see what you are saying i didn't know think about that but i hope us both luck on who wins
Posted by robertqiu 3 years ago
robertqiu
Hey man, it's okay if this is your first debate. I didn't mean to insult you. Just as a FYI, you said that YA novels do not generate revenue in your third round, but actually this is not true. The sales from the book goes to the authors, yes, but don't they get taxed when bought? The taxes goes to the government. Most times when people say something generates revenue for the government is based on taxes, not on the sales.
Posted by skorvah 3 years ago
skorvah
Isaiah you should have put in more detailed good luck but i think u lost thsi one
Vote Placed by likespeace 3 years ago
likespeace
robertqiuXboy57Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made several reasonable arguments in favor of young adult fiction. Con's rebuttals were incredibly weak and themselves rebutted. "As everyone knows.. Second these book are filled with violence that some younger preteens might attempt to repeat." I'm not a young adult and have successfully thwarted attempts by girlfriends to get me to see Twilight, so I do not know. Debators are expected to present actual evidence for their points--in this case, an example of this violence. Did two vampires punch each other? Did they make a compelling case for cannibalism and sadistic torture as a way of life? "A younger child of the age of 8 read a Harry Potter book they might try to imitate trying to be a wizard." Sure! Kids around eight tend to know the difference between fact and fiction but still may like to play make-believe games. You do not state the harm. "Christians MAY not like these books." That Christians dislike these books is not actually demonstrated. Arguments to Pro.
Vote Placed by tmar19652 3 years ago
tmar19652
robertqiuXboy57Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con never really made a case.