Cindela
ilde34

Young people between the ages of 13-17 are able to make an argument that can be used in a debate.

Cindela

Pro

Before I start my debate, I would like to ask everyone who will eventually vote in this debate to vote based upon the debate, not upon your own opinions. Thank you.

I first intended this debate for solaman1969, because of some of his debates and his strong belief, but he declined my challenge. I would like to open up this debate to anyone who wants to take up this debate.

My argument is simple: I am 13 years old. I am representative of the younger end of the age range that I mentioned in the topic. If I can create an argument, which I am, then I win this debate.

Secondly, if you look at many of the debates that me and my friends have done, you will realize that I am correct. All of the people I will list below are between the ages of 13-15.

Cindela (me)
Sagarous
AK-47debater
Iluvd8
crazypenguin
padfo0t

This is only a few of the many people who are on this site who are between the ages of 13-17 who can debate with good arguments. If you look through the people who are on this site, and see who is between the ages of 13 and 17, then you can see that many of those people who have debated can create good arguments.

Thank you
ilde34

Con

Ok to tell the truth I am 13 too, and I agree we can be good at debating. But in this case i'll play as the devil's advocate.

I don't think that younger people can be good debaters, they have barely lived a few years and only base their arguments on book or obtained knowledge, not natural intelligence or experience. 13-17 year olds haven't lived life enough to actually know what is right or what is wrong. Even though if they hav eone a few debates that doesn't mean that they are the best at debating. I think that the question shouldn't be that they can make a debatable argument but if they are really good. Of course they can make a good argument but that doesn't mean that they have enough experience to be the best.

An example that they are not always the best is your previous argument, you shouldn't base your argument in what your friends have done or accomplished. If you think you are a good debater and go to a college debating team, you'll get killed if you have a weak argument like that (no offense intended)
Cindela

Pro

>>I don't think that younger people can be good debaters, they have barely lived a few years and only base their arguments on book or obtained knowledge, not natural intelligence or experience.
This argument has nothing to do with the topic. This says nothing about a 13-17 year old person being able to formulate an argument. This only says that 13-17 year olds are unable to be good debater, which is not true. You claim that the fact that they do not have experience, but can only base their arguments upon books or obtained knowledge. However, even though this statement may be true, your argument is not. For instance, let us assume that there is a debate going on right now about abortion. If I do and debate it, am I not qualified for debating it even though I might know people personaly who have had abortions or have had the thought of having one? Just because I was not the one needing the abortion, does not mean that I am not qualified to debate about abortion.

>>13-17 year olds haven't lived life enough to actually know what is right or what is wrong.
I do not think this is an accurate statement. Are you saying that because I am 13, I do not know what to do when someone asks me to break my friend's leg? Of course not. I know that breaking my friend's leg on purpose would be wrong. Therefore, I have proven you wrong in this statement.

>> Even though if they hav eone a few debates that doesn't mean that they are the best at debating.
I never said that 13-17 year olds are the best at debating. I am just saying that 13-17 year olds are able to form arguments for a debate.

>>I think that the question shouldn't be that they can make a debatable argument but if they are really good.
But the debate is about if the can make a debatable argument. If you wanted to debate about whether 13-17 year olds are really good debaters, and not the topic for this debate, then you should not have debated me.

>>Of course they can make a good argument but that doesn't mean that they have enough experience to be the best.
You are just agreeing with me. I am not twisting your words for my own means, I am copying word for word what you said (ahem, sagarous). Again, this debate is about whether or not 13-17 year olds can create a debatable argument. Not whether they have enough experience to be the best.

>>An example that they are not always the best is your previous argument, you shouldn't base your argument in what your friends have done or accomplished. If you think you are a good debater and go to a college debating team, you'll get killed if you have a weak argument like that (no offense intended)
I agree, that was not the best argument that I have ever made. However, it was still a debatable argument.

Now to elaborate on my points:
Seeing as I have put forth an argument that works, and my opponent has tried to refute it, I have proven that 13-17 year olds are able to create arguments that can be used in a debate.

Also, my opponent is a 13 year old. He has put forth arguments, albeit arguments for a wrong topic, but arguments none the less. Therefore, he is helping me prove my topic, and because I have proven my topic with my own arguments, and my opponent is merely helping me prove my topic, I should win this debate.
ilde34

Con

ilde34 forfeited this round.
Cindela

Pro

I won't post anything new. For my argument, look up. Blah Blah Blah 100 character limit blah blah blah
ilde34

Con

ilde34 forfeited this round.
Posted by padfo0t 8 years ago
padfo0t
ilde34!!!!
You're first argument was bul@%#&$
and you know it.
Posted by JonJon 9 years ago
JonJon
I wish I was as prolific as some of the 13-17 YO's on this site when I was that tender age. But some of the 13-17 YO's have problems putting a coherent sentence together. Given the fact that time have a'changed since the late 70s, I see no problem with debating someone that young; however, there is the "life lived" quotient to be considered. Text books are not real life; however,older people can be jaded and a bit close-minded. So, when I really think about it, it's OK, as long as both sides respect one another.
Posted by diaxheart 9 years ago
diaxheart
I am currently 15 years old and debate on a college debate team, I have broken into final rounds, thats proof enough for me. :P
Posted by karlynjane 9 years ago
karlynjane
since the con himself is thirteen, any argument he makes (in this debate) about how young people can not make arguments which can be used in debate is a complete contradiction. pro has to win.
Posted by mjg283 9 years ago
mjg283
Anybody who understands and is able to apply logical reasoning can be a good debater, regardless of that person's age.
Posted by Miserlou 9 years ago
Miserlou
Logical-Master, what problem? I'm just curious, and especially curious to see what idle34 will say.

Cindela could probably win this by case evidence; the teenager on this site are no worse than everyone else at debating. I'm 17 myself
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
I think I could kill this argument as there one crucial problem with what the topic creator has stated. Alas, I'd like to see someone infinitely better than myself (perhaps PreacherFred) argue against this.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I do agree that some pople within those ages are very good at debating, my worry is that I believe kids your age and younger are too young for some content that may be debated on a website. Other than that I have no problems with younger people :)
Posted by littlelacroix 9 years ago
littlelacroix
I don't think that anyone can argue with this. I've just recently turned 18 and I've been debating, not on this site, for well over four years, winning most of my debates. I doubt that anyone will take this
Posted by AK-47debater 9 years ago
AK-47debater
I back one hundred percent JH.
Vote Placed by padfo0t 8 years ago
padfo0t
Cindelailde34Tied
Vote Placed by sagarous 8 years ago
sagarous
Cindelailde34Tied
Vote Placed by burningpuppies101 8 years ago
burningpuppies101
Cindelailde34Tied
Vote Placed by indicolts 9 years ago
indicolts
Cindelailde34Tied
Vote Placed by JonJon 9 years ago
JonJon
Cindelailde34Tied
Vote Placed by Idontcare 9 years ago
Idontcare
Cindelailde34Tied
Vote Placed by ilde34 9 years ago
ilde34
Cindelailde34Tied
Vote Placed by olympianfootball73 9 years ago
olympianfootball73
Cindelailde34Tied
Vote Placed by Miserlou 9 years ago
Miserlou
Cindelailde34Tied
Vote Placed by diaxheart 9 years ago
diaxheart
Cindelailde34Tied