AirsoftFtw
pbjunkie73

Younger players should not airsoft/paintball

AirsoftFtw

Pro

As an avid airsofter, I find it disturbing to see younger players, aged 10 and younger, being involved in a such a serious sport such as airsoft. Airsoft is a recreational sport; rules are made by the players and is something that many people do not fully understand and often misinterpret it as "evil" for our use of realistic looking air guns firing 6mm ball bullets (BBs). Airsoft is a sport that many kids, no matter how much they think they are "responsible enough", could never fully comprehend the safety risks it is to them. Airsoft has been targeted (no pun intended) toward players who are 18+ although there are many players who are a bit shy of 18 (15-17) and are not meant for pre-teens who want to relive their Call of Duty experiences on an airsoft field with players who are unforgiving toward their opponents. The last thing many airsoft companies want are angry parents complaining about how their product was the cause of their underage son being blinded; get your papers in order, you bought them the product and by buying it, you understood the risks and we are not liable for any damage.

Airsoft guns are extremely realistic replicas in some extreme cases shoot around 600 FPS, about half (give or take) the muzzle velocity of a Mossberg 500 shotgun. BBs can sometimes be lodged in skin and of course can blind players without adequate eye protection (full seal goggles are recommended). Starting airsoft players with some experience from shooting other friends' guns or have rented one at a field would buy durable goggles which are stronger than a pair of shooting goggles which come with starter packages which many young players would buy (all built in CHINA). Now I'm not trying to start another debate on Chinese quality control, but if there's one thing I don't want my eyesight to be lost to is to a BB, which costs less than a .01 cent to create. It only takes one BB to the eye to create a commotion and a trip to the hospital.

Kids are simply irresponsible. They say anything just to get things they want and have that promise broken. There has been much controversy around airsoft guns BECAUSE of kids. There has been stories of kids bringing in airsoft guns and being arrested, or worse, shot by police. Many players understand that airsoft guns can attract attention and know what to do should police arrive: drop the guns and answer any questions asked. With kids...well, the nice folk at Wal-Mart, Big-5 would just tell parents and kids to have a good day. Although there are plenty of warnings within gun manuals, it is not enough to get the facts to kids' head that although the game does not mean anything, but the wounds do.

In short, I'm not saying that ALL kids are irresponsible and as much as they want to again, relive their COD experience, they cannot fully understand the risks and it would once again reach headlines and state legislators would push for anti-gun laws which not only affect airsofters, but registered gun holders in some way.
pbjunkie73

Con

First off this seems .ore of a rant to me than a debate but I will accept regardless. I have played paintball and airsoft since I was 9, and let me start by saying that this sport was a real confidence builder and teaches kids responsibilities and gun care. I have played paintball for years and it wasn't because I was out playing call of duty and trying to recreate anything, it was because I was drawn to the teamwork and leadership skills that this sport provides. If taught correctly both paintball and airsoft can get kids off the street and into safer, more controlled enviroments like it did for me. Not only that but as I stated before it really taught me a lot about teamwork and leadership which something good toteach kids at a young age.

This sport under adult supervision would be great but I do agree that without adult supervision it can be dangerous
AirsoftFtw

Pro

AirsoftFtw forfeited this round.
pbjunkie73

Con

pbjunkie73 forfeited this round.
AirsoftFtw

Pro

AirsoftFtw forfeited this round.
pbjunkie73

Con

pbjunkie73 forfeited this round.
Posted by Johnicle 6 years ago
Johnicle
is this a rant or a debate?