MeinFrankenmind
phatboy23

"You're letting the cold air in," is a perfectly scientifically valid statement.

phatboy23

Con

Scientifically speaking, cold does not truly exist as its own entity. What humans PERCEIVE as cold is simply the lack of thermal energy. The only scientifically valid way to make that statement would be to say "you're letting the hot air out."

http://www.jeff-howe.net...
MeinFrankenmind

Pro

If cold simply does not exist in the realm of science then there is no possible way I can win. I cede to you, friend. Thank you for introducing me to Einstein's Hammock; it looks like something I'll enjoy.
phatboy23

Con

No problem.
MeinFrankenmind

Pro

MeinFrankenmind forfeited this round.
phatboy23

Con

phatboy23 forfeited this round.
MeinFrankenmind

Pro

MeinFrankenmind forfeited this round.
Posted by MeinFrankenmind 3 years ago
MeinFrankenmind
Or should I say Jeff L. Howe.
Posted by MeinFrankenmind 3 years ago
MeinFrankenmind
Yeah, that is true. And a much simpler explanation. I needed to get all that technical junk out for me, I guess. Thanks.
Posted by Taylur 3 years ago
Taylur
But even if the air was warmer outside, a gust of wind has more energy than that of stagnant, denser air. The hot air would blow straight in.
Posted by MeinFrankenmind 3 years ago
MeinFrankenmind
That's actually exactly what I just described. A gust of wind is a pocket of air that's been pushed out of the way by another, denser pocket of air.
Posted by Taylur 3 years ago
Taylur
Or, you know, wind can override all of that because it has more energy to push its way in.
Posted by MeinFrankenmind 3 years ago
MeinFrankenmind
I've seen that some subcultures of the internet believe it is wrong to say a thing like this. Some people have even gone so far as to make comics which insult the intelligence of any person who believes cold air could actually enter a building. That's not right so I wanted to get somebody thinking right about it in hopes that they might also pay that new knowledge forward; they do say it's contagious.

Commonly proponents of the notion that cold air can't enter your house cite the second law of thermodynamics as justification for their claim, stating that cold air cannot enter a house because in a system tending toward thermal equilibrium, energy flows from areas of higher concentration to lower concentration and since temperature is basically a measure of the total thermal energy in a system and higher temperatures mean higher concentrations of energy, the transfer is from inside the house to outside. I've heard it put so eloquently as, "Second law of thermodynamics, bitch!"

I thought it might be doubly cool to find out that it's because cold air is cold that it can enter your warm house and it's thanks to one of the same processes they thought made such a thing impossible; that a system tends toward equilibrium, except this time an equilibrium of pressure. Concentrations of dense air flow into pockets of less dense air. Cold air is dense due to its lack of thermal energy and thus flows inward into your home.
Posted by Taylur 3 years ago
Taylur
I think this is a truism and not a debatable topic. Wind will blow cold air into your home.
Posted by The_Scapegoat_bleats 3 years ago
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Yes, it is, but that's not what people tend to say. They leave the "air" out and pretend "the cold" was actually a thing, while it's only a relative lack of thermic energy. A "lack" cannot be let in.
So what is this resolution? A joke? A trick question? Give us a little more than an imperative here, if you please.