Youth Suffrage? should we lower the voting age.

The right to vote is a injustice to just not only me, but to future generations of citizens. We are all citizens, we all live and work here, why as teens are denied the most important civil right to our democracy. Youth Suffrage or lowering the voting age to 16-17 is a issue that is sidelined by the media and the government. But I have a voice, and want to use it. Why in the home of the free, we are still being looked down as dumb uneducated teens? We are more inform than half of voters. We pay income tax when we have jobs and pay sales tax when we buy stuff at the stores. We can drive cars, that can kill us but not vote! We can be charged as adults but not vote! We, just, want our voices to be heard as equal. Why give a vote to a person who has no idea how our democracy works, but not a teen that dose? I am asking for your support and help to bring this issue to the tables across the country and the world! We are all citizens of the world!

Okay, so first off, you have 0 solid evidence on why teens should be allowed to vote. Your only reasoning is that teens drive, pay sales tax, pay income tax, and are more informed* then half of voters. These are not warrants on why teens should be allowed to vote. Everyone has to pay sales tax, big deal. Also you claim that adults don't understand our "democracy" but "we" do, this argument proves that teens have no idea how the USFG works. First off, America is a republic, not a democracy, you also spelled "does" wrong, yet you wonder why teens are seen as dumb. The only reason that the voting age is 18 instead of 21, is because people felt that it was unfair to be sent to fight and die for America, but they were unable to vote. Even then, it was because 18 year old people could go to war, however a 16-17 year old cannot. Also teenagers do not understand our political state. Most teens live with their parents, and their political beliefs are based on their parents. So teens shouldn't be able to vote. Lastly, the true "adult" age is around 23, because that's when the brain is fully developed. So no, teens should not have the right to vote.

That is a biased and ageism view point. We want to be engaged and change the world for the better. Teens can think differently than their parents. All teens think differently than their parents, (I do it all the time). We all are created equal! Is it fair that we don't have a say in what Happens with our taxes or our education. Also a republic is a type of democracy. You are using the same points as the oppressors of allowing African Americans and women the right to vote. We have social studies classes for a reason, so we can be better citizens and humans, and learn from the past.

Your argument is unrealistic,that we can say that adults who have no idea about government and the political system but not The youth of America who are have classes about and care. Plus if we lower it we increase voter turnout!

OKAY 1. first off, ageism only really applies to older people and seniors, and no where in my first speech act was I ageist, if anything you are being ageist by generalizing teens 2. Even if you think differently from your parents "all the time", your political views are majorly effected by theirs. Also your being ageist by saying that "all" teens think differently then their parents. 3. Yes, it's fair that you don't have a say in what happens to your taxes or your education, your parents decide what happens to you, they are your parents, you live under their roof. 4. Never once did I use the "language of the oppressors" in my speech act, also you're being an oppressor by using the oppression of the black body and women as a point in your argument and that's bad. 5. Yes we do have social studies for a reason, to learn about oppression. Women and the black body couldn't vote yes, but they we're oppressed in more ways then one. Also social studies classes are used to learn about oppression today. 6. My argument is true, 16 year old teens are not smarter then adults, who have better educations. Also my argument is not unrealistic, your being ageist by saying that adults don't understand our political system. Also I'm 16 so no I'm not being ageist, I know how dumb teenagers are. Lastly, you're being ageist by saying "WE", because when you do that you generalize all teens.

Now extend my Round 1 ARG, I shouldn't have to tell ya'll this, but 23 is the age that the brain is fully developed, so 16 year old teens are less clever then 23 year olds. Essentially, the actions of the government are felt more strongly among older Americans. Most 16 year olds live with their parents and attend school. They"re rarely conscious of the political climate that surrounds them. So why do they need the right to vote at so young an age?
If an issue actually matters to them, they can wait just a couple of years to vote once they catch a glimpse of what adulthood is like and then be able to vote just fine.

1. My parents don't vote, even after I showed them why they should vote. So technicality I am not represented plus parents have to munch control over another person's life. I study social studies daily (I want to be a social studies teacher), so if you are saying that I can't vote, that is mistake. I learn from the past. So I and the rest of world can make better decisions in the future. I wish that local and national news everyday, I read newspapers too. If you are saying that I am not inform, thus making me unable to vote , that is just wrong. Teens do it all time with technology,we can access information in seconds how many adults know their senators or reps. Or even the cabinet or all of the issues on a party platform? How many adults know their rights under the bill of rights ? Denying me and countless teens is violates the 14 amendment, we are all to be treat equal over the law. Nations around the world have lower their ages, and their growing support for youth suffrage. Last week, Nancy Pelosi said that she supported the Lowering voting age. I bet you don't even know who she is? She is the head minority leader in the house and former speaker of the house.

Due to the number of characters allow, please open these links and consider them part of my argument,

1. Parents have the correct amount of control on their kids lives, parents have to raise their children so they decide on what is best for them. 2. Okay? You study social studies, big deal so do a lot of other people, but just because you study it does not give you the qualifications to vote. 3. Just because you learn from the past doesn't mean you will make better decisions. 4. Also never once did I say you were uninformed. 5. I'm sure that there are more adults then teens that know about politics, the house of reps. the cabinet, their rights, and the amendments. 6. Also your 14th amendment rights aren't being violated this is the 14th amendment Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Section 2.

Representatives shall be apportioned among the several states according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each state, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the executive and judicial officers of a state, or the members of the legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such state, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such state.

Section 3.

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Section 4.

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any state shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Section 5.

The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Sure people are equal under the law but teens are too young. 7. So what? Lowering the voting age isn't an international norm, and sure she supports lowering the age of voters, but that's one person.
PRO dropped so many arguments, don't consider any of their arguments. We should not lower the voting age.
Posted by srhelsel609 1 year ago
"If 16-year-olds are old enough to drink the water polluted by the industries that you regulate, if 16-year-olds are old enough to breathe the air ruined by garbage burners that government built, if 16-year-olds are old enough to walk on the streets made unsafe by terrible drugs and crime policies, if 16-year-olds are old enough to live in poverty in the richest country in the world, if 16-year-olds are old enough to get sick in a country with the worst public health-care programs in the world, and if 16-year-olds are old enough to attend school districts that you underfund, then 16-year-olds are old enough to play a part in making them better."