Youth under 18 be prohibited to use social networking

Started: 9/18/2012 Category: Technology

Children under 18 should be allowed to join and use social networking, but there should be some parental controls. Social media is an important part of many peoples lives, especially for teenagers.

My opponent is arguing that youth should be allowed to join and use social networking sites. I will be arguing that youth should not be allowed to join and use social networking sites. The Burden of Proof must be met on both sides. Thus, I will assume the resolution is that "Youth under 18 should be prohibited to use social networking" I will be arguing Pro while my opponent will be arguing Con.

My opponent has utterly refused to give definitions. Thus I will define youth as "the state or quality of being young, esp. as associated with vigor, freshness, or immaturity." [1] I will also define prohibited as "formally forbidden by an authority." [2] I will lastly define social networking as "The use of dedicated websites and applications to communicate informally with other users, or to find people with similar interests to oneself." [3]

Now, I will first have a rebuttal to my opponent's arguments. He has only one main arguments.

1. Social Networking is an important part of many people's lives especially youth.

I will be arguing against this contention by saying that it would not be an important part of many people's lives if they were prohibited from using it. This is a simple equation: Without social networking in youth's lives, social networking would not be an important part in their lives. It's the same thing with video games too. I personally have never owned any form of video game system and the closest I've gotten to playing them are at stores (Target, GameStop, Best Buy) and on special occasions (Birthday Parties). [4] I think this proves that without social networking, it would not be an important part of many people's lives.

Now, I'm not saying that the government should be doing this but instead a legal guardian as defined in "prohibited." However, I have already put in a rebuttal about social networking being an important part in youth's lives.

My 1st argument is that "Social Networking is Dangerous." A popular social networking site is MySpace. On MySpace alone, estimates are that 7,000 profiles are created by convicted sex criminals per day. [5] Sexual predators are always around social networking sites and are dangerous to youth. When convicted sex criminals target people, they usually target youth. [5] Thus we can assume correctly that social networking is dangerous and the most entangled in this danger are youth.

My 2nd argument will be about "Cyber-Bullying". Cyber-bullying is popular among social networking sites and there have been several instances based on it including suicides. [6] This typically happens most commonly towards teenagers and usages of it include fake profiles, fake pages, fake messages, etc. to get revenge and there are many people that have not been caught doing this. [6] Thus we can conclude that cyber-bullying is popular among youth and that social networking is the reason why.

My 3rd argument is "Information Access". Social networking sites have been used by computer hackers to plant viruses, steal data, and spamming accounts. This has been commonly done by thousands of these criminals each year. Also important information can be stolen such as social security numbers, credit card numbers, debit card numbers, bank account records, etc. With social networking, to access private information is very easy with current technology which is another reason why we should not allow youth to use social networking.

I turn to my opponent for his arguments.

My own testimony and personal experiences (since birth to current age).

alialiya forfeited this round.

Since my opponent unfortunately forfeited for unknown reasons, I extend all of my arguments and call for votes for conduct, arguments, and sources. Vote Pro.

alialiya forfeited this round.

Vote Pro.
Posted by RationalMadman 4 years ago
LOL youth under 18 is the most pointless statement on Earth. What is youth that is not under 18? It's like saying Adults over 18... or Adults over 21... it's like... that's what an adult is...
Posted by muzebreak 4 years ago
The topic is "Should the youth under 18 be prohibited to use social networking?". You're on the pro side, which means you're for said prohibition. But your opening statment say's that you're against it. If your for under 18's using it I'd be willing to debate that those under a certain age shouldn't. If you're for said prohibition I'd be willing to debate that as well.
Vote Placed by famer 4 years ago