LQY
ProgressiveForLife

Youths today are too heavily influenced by media.

ProgressiveForLife has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

LQY

Pro

I agree that youths today are too heavily influenced by media.
ProgressiveForLife

Con

Introduction: To begin, I would like to take the moment to give a word of appreciation to my opponent for setting up this debate. Since Pro has not provided a structure for Burden of Proof, I presume that it is equally shared. Similarly, since Pro has not put forth a definition of the terms, I shall do so myself.

Definition and Terms of Debate: While I am fairly certain that we all agree that media has an influence on minors, each side must either affirm or negate the claim, respectively, that media influences the young too much, which I shall, for the sake of this debate, define as exerting an influence that is, on balance, more harmful than helpful for childrens' social, physical, intellectual and moral health. Can my opponent agree to these standards?

As Pro has not made an argument in the first round, I presume this round is acceptance alone, therefore, having defined the terms, I decline to make an argument and pass the torch to my opponent.
LQY

Pro

"Can my opponent agree to these standards?" Yes.

Media today are everywhere and close to us, unlike the past where they were scarce and can only be transmitted through radios and televisions. Now, they can be transmitted through our daily gadgets, big screens on buildings and computers. Therefore, the vast exposure of medias to youth is indisputable. Under such vast exposure, it is no surprise that youths today are too heavily influenced by media.

Romance scene from korean dramas encourage teens to get into relationships at an early age. I believe that primary school teachers would agree with me that there are rising cases of youths as young as 8 years old are starting to get into relationships.

Sexual scene from R18^ films teach youth about "female biology" and encourage sex. Do not be surprise when primary school children starts talking about sex. Their knowledge in sex are equal to us. Whether this knowledge is good or bad is another debate itself, the key point is, youths are naturally curious and like to explore. This encourages underage sex.

It is true that even though cases such as violent and romance are rising, it remains at a low level. This is because moral values, laws aand orders, and wisdom refrain us from making these mistakes. However, it cannot be said that they are not influenced by media. Influenced by definition means the capacity to have an effect on character, development, or behavior of someone. It is the thoughts rather than the actions of youth that decide if youths are influenced by media. These thoughts could be killing their bullies, fantasizing a relationship, behaving violently.
Posted by ProgressiveForLife 1 year ago
ProgressiveForLife
I hope my opponent will ignoremy foreit, as DDO was down
Posted by Jocularly_Solemn 1 year ago
Jocularly_Solemn
I don't see how anyone can possibly deny that. Not only youth, even the seniors and children are influenced to a good enough degree by media today.
Posted by Jocularly_Solemn 1 year ago
Jocularly_Solemn