PeriodicPatriot
oculus_de_logica

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX is way better than Yu-Gi-Oh! 5DS and Zexal

oculus_de_logica
Started: 2/10/2014 Category: Games

PeriodicPatriot

Pro

I know lots of people like Yu-Gi-Oh! (Original), but I just want to throw you off. Anyway, I decided that if I can't take DDO so seriously, I need to at least make DDO 'fun' (please, we already have serious topics and if we take them away, DDO will be what it was actually supposed to be.) I just had nothing to do anyway. If you are asking, I am not doing anymore impossible debates because:

(1. It expires really quickly
(2. No one wanted to accept my last one

So, back to the topic. I think that Yu-Gi-Oh! has been more modern with its way of 'dueling'. As the series went by, you can pretty much see Yu-Gi-Oh! ruined because of the modern dueling. See the pattern:

Yu-Gi-Oh! DM and GX: normal dueling
5DS: duel bikes
Zexal: multiverse

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX was pretty decent. 5DS was a good show, but Zexal? Zexal! That was the worst. Anyway, if you disagree, then you're pretty much a new Yu-Gi-Oh! fan. Here are the rules:

1. No forfeiture
2. Great knowledge of Yu-Gi-Oh!

Here is the format:

R1: Acceptance
R2: Opening arguments
R3: Rebuttals and/or comparisons (no new arguments here or R4)
R4: see R3
R5: Conclusion

Yep. That's it.

- PeriodicPatriot

P.S. I am not accepting hate comments. All hate comments will be revoked. If you want haters to hate, then that's ok with me. Just ignore the haters
oculus_de_logica

Con

I can't belive I just accepted a debate regarding Yu-Gi-Oh. This should be interesting....

Anyway: I accept and am going to debate that GX was not better than the later installments in the series.
You may begin with your opening round.
PeriodicPatriot

Pro

1. Yu-Gi-Oh! GX had a good storyline (Btw 4kids sucks because they didn't air season 4 of gx and season 5 of 5ds). The progonist, Jaden Yuki, seems confident, happy, and godlike. Dm and 5ds were too serious about dueling, and zexal looked like they should be in pokemon. 5Ds was too rushed with the storyline and it looked like they duel 24/7. I know that's the goal to the game, but it's just too much.

2. First off, the later installments ruined the meaning of dueling. They have no connection with yugi whatsoever. Have the others duel yugi and won? Zexal didn't make any sense and the characters look childish (especially that Yuma character). First, you see duel bikes and now multiverse? I'm pretty sure the more modern it is, the more crappier it gets.

3. The only thing I liked about 5ds and zexal was the theme song and that's it. I admit that GX needs a little more help when it comes to music.

Now I want to hear your opening arguments,. No rebuttals.
oculus_de_logica

Con

Ladies and gentlemen, what truly defines 'better' when talking about cartoons (or Anime if you want to be specific)? The word 'better' has a large variety of definition, but the one we'll be focusing most on in this debate is the following:
“[adj] more desirable, satisfactory, or effective.

we're looking for concrete evidence that Yu-Gi-Oh GX is NOT more satisfactory than either of the two series that came after. But what defines satisfactory?

[adj] fulfilling expectations or needs; acceptable, though not outstanding or perfect.
And desirable?
[adj] wished for as being an attractive, useful, or necessary course of action.

so, we aren't looking at a well defined terminology here, we are looking at something that is changeable, something that varies from person to person. If I come along and state that GX is not better than 5D in my opinion that means that this debate would fall in my favour, just as it would fall in my opponents favour if someone would come along to state the opposite. So, we must find which series has the most following and is thus satisfactory to the biggest audience, hence being 'the best' of those we're talking about. The best series must be the one that most people enjoy, the one that is best received. Why one would perceive it as better than the others is irrelevant as long as the person enjoys it.

Let's start simply by looking at official ratings. Finding relevant ratings for all three series took a little bit of time but after some extensive research the following four websites provided me with the
most reliable results
, both on the 4Kids cartoon and the original Japanese anime:

imdb.com1-3
tv.com4-6
sakuhindb.com7-9
anime-planet.com10-12

We can see that the following results:
GX: | 6.2
/10 | 8.5/10 | 2.442/5 | 0.12/No idea, assuming 1|
Zexal: | 6.9
/10 | 7.2/10 | 2.081/5 | 0.07/No idea, assuming 1|
5D's: | 6.9/10 | 8.6/10 | 2.861/5 | 0.93/No idea, assuming 1|

we can agree on the fact that Zexal is the underdog of the three and won't really qualify as the contender for the title “Best Yu-Gi-Oh spin-off.” So to make things much simpler and shorter I'm going to drop that one entirely from the debate until further notice.

Looks like the common opinion is that 5D is better. It has higher ratings and is more often praised than its precessor.If we attempt to normalize these ratings and get a final value out of them we'll see that GX has the average rating of 0,5196 while 5D's manages to score the impressive 0,76. Even if we ignore Sakuhindb's strange rating scale we still manage to get 0,65 against 0,70. This indicates that the general public thinks that GX, albeit good, was not the better series. In fact, out of all the places I searched I couldn't find any rating scales that dictated that GX was better, it was almost always that 5D's was at the top of the scale followed closely by Gx and Zexal being at the bottom of the barrel. But what made 5D that much better? Scanning trough some of the reviews that accompany the ratings I cited along with a watching a show or two and seeing what others thought of it I think that we can single in on an answer. :

What GX had going for it was that it was relate able to younger audiences. The lead character is a young energetic character that is optimistic and leads a bright life. He's cool (in his own eyes), confident, incredibly amusing and always seems to have life going for him, even when it isn't. It's easy for kids to connect to that, and to be completely honest the show wasn't bad, it was actually quite entertaining. But it also quickly got stale, it didn't really add to the franchise and left fans everywhere with a run off the mill series with characters that didn't really evolve. A few fans complained that the characters where undeveloped, seemed a bit motiveless from time to ti
me. The base plot line of Yu-gi-oh! was the Pharaoh's never-ending chase for his memories, his constant drive to get home, the tournaments and the diverse villains that he had to face in different worlds. That was a time when every single show could possibly lead to a new and exciting side-storyline just to keep you entertained. When there where life lessons to be learned it was a bit more than just friendship, it was often a much deeper, darker undertone that where sometimes crude, but needed. GX focused too heavily on friendship, the storyline remained at times too linear and the series is often bound by it's never changing scene. No matter where the characters travel and go, they always end up again on the duel academy campus, always limiting the plot to that base location in some way.

5D on the other hand brought a great deal of depth in the series. It no longer focused on witty dialogue and love-able characters that we cheer for. It suddenly became much, much darker and laid out a detailed plot line that everyone could enjoy. Suddenly it sparked an interest in the older audience that felt somewhat left out in the GX era, who where intrigued by the plethora of detailed, mysterious characters that each had a story behind them; The sudden increase in romantic sub-plots and the ever changing scenes as our heroes fight entertaining villains. The motorcycle duels got mixed reviews but often it got met with positive feedback as duels now where choreographed, had a much faster pace and introduced something new into the series, albeit they where still keen on breaking any official TCG rulings. Not only does 5D bring us Synchro monsters that give us new angles to duelling and thus improve the franchise as an entity but it also brings us a bit closer to home, to the original duel monsters that we grew up with. In certain ways. Yusei shares much with Atem. Both are dark and mysterious. Both resort to violence at times which lead to deaths in the Manga and both overcome themselves and use their bonds with the other characters to handle the issues that they must face. We can also move away from the show content and see that 5D has amazing visuals that drag viewers in simply by glittering and providing an enchanting world that we can enjoy to watch, no matter what dark secrets are in it.

And that's what we all want from a good show. We want it to be able to maintain our attention, we want it to shine for us, to amaze us and keep us interested in it's own mysteries. We don't want the shiny glow of a perfect children cartoon, we want to explore the darker regions of the human mind, we want to be shocked. And it is my honest opinion that GX, albeit a fantastic instalment to the franchise, did not do enough to maintain it's older audience that didn't need 25 minutes to tell them that friendship is important. They wanted an immersive world that develops and changes with each episode, they wanted the better show.

1)http://www.imdb.com...
2)http://www.imdb.com...
3)http://www.imdb.com...
4)http://www.tv.com...
5)http://www.tv.com...
6)http://www.tv.com...
7)http://sakuhindb.com...
8)http://sakuhindb.com...
9)http://sakuhindb.com...
10)http://www.anime-planet.com...
11)http://www.anime-planet.com...
12)http://www.anime-planet.com...

PeriodicPatriot

Pro

hank you for debating with me, kind sir. Now I will rebut your arguments.

My opponent says:

'Ladies and gentlemen, what truly defines 'better' when talking about cartoons (or Anime if you want to be specific)? The word 'better' has a large variety of definition, but the one we'll be focusing most on in this debate is the following:
“[adj] more desirable, satisfactory, or effective. „

“[adj] fulfilling expectations or needs; acceptable, though not outstanding or perfect. “
And desirable?
“[adj] wished for as being an attractive, useful, or necessary course of action. “

so, we aren't looking at a well defined terminology here, we are looking at something that is changeable, something that varies from person to person. If I come along and state that GX is not better than 5D in my opinion that means that this debate would fall in my favour, just as it would fall in my opponents favour if someone would come along to state the opposite. So, we must find which series has the most following and is thus satisfactory to the biggest audience, hence being 'the best' of those we're talking about. The best series must be the one that most people enjoy, the one that is best received. Why one would perceive it as better than the others is irrelevant as long as the person enjoys it.'

Thank you for giving the definition(s). I didn't realize that. I actually thought that the best series has more than the ratings and the 'biggest audience'. For example, the characters, setting, plot, problem, and solution.

'Let's start simply by looking at official ratings. Finding relevant ratings for all three series took a little bit of time but after some extensive research the following four websites provided me with the
most reliable results, both on the 4Kids cartoon and the original Japanese anime:

imdb.com1-3
tv.com4-6
sakuhindb.com7-9
anime-planet.com10-12

We can see that the following results:
GX: | 6.2/10 | 8.5/10 | 2.442/5 | 0.12/No idea, assuming 1|
Zexal: | 6.9/10 | 7.2/10 | 2.081/5 | 0.07/No idea, assuming 1|

Looks like the common opinion is that 5D is better. It has higher ratings and is more often praised than itsprecessor.If we attempt to normalize these ratings and get a final value out of them we'll see that GX has the average rating of 0,5196 while 5D's manages to score the impressive 0,76. Even if we ignore Sakuhindb's strange rating scale we still manage to get 0,65 against 0,70. This indicates that the general public thinks that GX, albeit good, was not the better series. In fact, out of all the places I searched I couldn't find any rating scales that dictated that GX was better, it was almost always that 5D's was at the top of the scale followed closely by Gx and Zexal being at the bottom of the barrel. But what made 5D that much better? Scanning trough some of the reviews that accompany the ratings I cited along with a watching a show or two and seeing what others thought of it I think that we can single in on an answer. :'

I'm pretty sure that the audience pretty much only watched a couple of episodes. Besides, 4kids didn't air the last season on Yu-Gi-Oh! GX and 5ds. However, There were some things that were incomplete and changed (to make it more for an American audience).

'What GX had going for it was that it was relate able to younger audiences. The lead character is a young energetic character that is optimistic and leads a bright life. He's cool (in his own eyes), confident, incredibly amusing and always seems to have life going for him, even when it isn't. It's easy for kids to connect to that, and to be completely honest the show wasn't bad, it was actually quite entertaining. But it also quickly got stale, it didn't really add to the franchise and left fans everywhere with a run off the mill series with characters that didn't really evolve. A few fans complained that the characters where undeveloped, seemed a bit motiveless from time to time. The base plot line of Yu-gi-oh! was the Pharaoh's never-ending chase for his memories, his constant drive to get home, the tournaments and the diverse villains that he had to face in different worlds. That was a time when every single show could possibly lead to a new and exciting side-storyline just to keep you entertained. When there where life lessons to be learned it was a bit more than just friendship, it was often a much deeper, darker undertone that where sometimes crude, but needed. GX focused too heavily on friendship, the storyline remained at times too linear and the series is often bound by it's never changing scene. No matter where the characters travel and go, they always end up again on the duel academy campus, always limiting the plot to that base location in some way.

5D on the other hand brought a great deal of depth in the series. It no longer focused on witty dialogue and love-able characters that we cheer for. It suddenly became much, much darker and laidout a detailed plot line that everyone could enjoy. Suddenly it sparked an interest in the older audience that felt somewhat left out in the GX era, who where intrigued by the plethora of detailed, mysterious characters that each had a story behind them; The sudden increase in romantic sub-plots and the ever changing scenes as our heroes fight entertaining villains. The motorcycle duels got mixed reviews but often it got met with positive feedback as duels now where choreographed, had a much faster pace and introduced something new into the series, albeit they where still keen on breaking any official TCG rulings. Not only does 5D bring us Synchro monsters that give us new angles to duelling and thus improve the franchise as an entity but it also brings us a bit closer to home, to the original duel monsters that we grew up with. In certain ways. Yusei shares much with Atem. Both are dark and mysterious. Both resort to violence at times which lead to deaths in the Manga and both overcome themselves and use their bonds with the other characters to handle the issues that they must face. We can also move away from the show content and see that 5D has amazing visuals that drag viewers in simply by glittering and providing an enchanting world that we can enjoy to watch, no matter what dark secrets are in it.

And that's what we all want from a good show. We want it to be able to maintain our attention, we want it to shine for us, to amaze us and keep us interested in it's own mysteries. We don't want the shiny glow of a perfect children cartoon, we want to explore the darker regions of the human mind, we want to be shocked. And it is my honest opinion that GX, albeit a fantastic instalment to the franchise, did not do enough to maintain it's older audience that didn't need 25 minutes to tell them that friendship is important. They wanted an immersive world that develops and changes with each episode, they wanted the better show.'

I will tell you my comparision in round 4, which some of your information is incorrect.

You will rebut my argument.
oculus_de_logica

Con

1. Yu-Gi-Oh! GX had a good storyline. The progonist, Jaden Yuki, seems confident, happy, and godlike.”
This was actually a common complaint with the GX and irked a lot of fans; is that he was way too bright, too happy and was so incredibly blessed by the gods that he rarely ever lost a duel and often managed to draw, against all odds, the exact cards he needed in each situation. A Large number of his duels where won trough pure luck of the draw as opposed to Yusei who tried not to rely on luck. His duels where often luck based, like all of the series were, but he often constructed complex flow charts and diagrams that gave us the illusion that he wasn't just at the mercy of the writers. Also, remember that confidence is just a half step away from arrogance. In the final series of the anime that was not aired by 4Kids Jaden is often thought to have overshadowed other characters so much that it became damaging to his character and the series.

Dm and 5ds were too serious about dueling, and zexal looked like they should be in pokemon. 5Ds was too rushed with the storyline and it looked like they duel 24/7. I know that's the goal to the game, but it's just too much.”
Remember that Yaden is the duellist that has been featured in the most duels to to date. During the 180 shows that GX featured there where a total of 101 duels that he was shown participating in. That is a single duel every 1.7 episodes. As compared to Yusei who is featured in 61 duels in 154 episodes, meaning a duel was started on average every 2.52 episodes, either meaning that duels where longer or that they didn't take up as large part of the story as usually. 5D's storyline was actually thought not to be rushed as it was well thought out, had a lot of effort put into it and the first season plot line was incredibly detailed and intriguing.1.2

2. First off, the later installments ruined the meaning of dueling. They have no connection with yugi whatsoever.”
So, what is the meaning of duelling in your opinion? Yugi wasn't the main theme in Yu-Gi-Oh!; he was the main character. He doesn't define duelling at any part and he by himself does not make a franchise. By the time that we reach 5D Yugi is most likely dead and Atem has been in his home realm for at least a decade before GX started.

Have the others duel yugi and won? “
First off, the final duel between Yugi and Jaden didn't result in a result, it is unknown if silver's final attack against the winged dragon of RA would have succeeded. I'm going to drop this point because it has nothing to do with the debate.

Zexal didn't make any sense and the characters look childish (especially that Yuma character).”
In a show that is targeted at children in the west childish characters aren't a sin, but if you want to define characters by how childish they are then you'll also have to accept the argument that Yaden is the second worst character of the four main characters with Atem/Yugi and Yusei share the spot of the serious character department. Atem had a habit of never seeing the bright side until Yugi pointed it out, he was always serious when he had a reason to and he didn't hesitate to murder his opponents in the Anime. (off topic: None of the characters had a problem doing that. The Shadow Realm doesn't exists in the Anime as the concept of death was too grim for western children.). Jadenwas much more upbeat and didn't take life as seriously. In the episode where he fought the Gravekeeper Chief (episode 27-28) he just nearly managed to save his friends from being buried alive. At the end of the duel he remarked that he “wishes to duel him again sometime” which shows his disregard of the danger he just escaped from.

First, you see duel bikes and now multiverse? I'm pretty sure the more modern it is, the more crappier it gets.”
I'd like you to support your arguments and opinions. What makes the modern element of the new series so bad? Saying that they are bad just because you think so won't hold in a debate and so this point is mute.

3. The only thing I liked about 5ds and zexal was the theme song and that's it. I admit that GX needs a little more help when it comes to music.”
this is a personal opinion, so I'm also dropping this point.

Thank you for giving the definition(s). I didn't realize that. I actually thought that the best series has more than the ratings and the 'biggest audience'. For example, the characters, setting, plot, problem, and solution. “
I did touch upon the content of the show in my last two paragraphs so this point is almost mute, but when it comes to getting a overview over the quality of the show without a biased opinion we cannot have any other scale than the scale defined by the majority of the audience.

I'm pretty sure that the audience pretty much only watched a couple of episodes. Besides, 4kids didn't air the last season on Yu-Gi-Oh! GX and 5ds. However, There were some things that were incomplete and changed (to make it more for an American audience). “
The audience watched more episodes than you give them credits for. If you had read some of the more sophisticated reviews in my sources you can see that they cite a large number of series. Knowledge that stretch over 4-5 series is a bit more than a couple of episodes. You might also have noticed that many of them reference and prefer the anime, the undubbed version that had nothing taken out meaning that they are well qualified to give an accurate description of the quality and content of the series in question.

1)yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Jaden_Yuki's_Decks
2)yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yusei_Fudo's_Decks

PeriodicPatriot

Pro

Now I will compare and share the changes made in the dub:
Things changed in the dub in GX:
Most characters' names.
Some cards' names.
Most monsters' attack and effect names
Changing the script, music and personalities to make the show more marketable to an American audience.
Altering or removing references to death, religion and violence.
Changing Life Point meters to digital readouts with color-coded energy bars.
Changing the sound effects, and replacing them with new ones.
None of the original Japanese sound effects remain.
Removing Japanese and English text and sometimes replacing it with unreadable symbols.
Removing all scenes and mentions of blood and changing it to another brand of plasma.
Replacing references to death with being "sent to the stars", though death is still implied.
There are some differences made with Yubel
References to obscure Japanese food and culture are not edited and used in the English dub.
Things changed in the dub in 5Ds:
In the Japanese anime, the class system between the upper class residents New Domino City and the often rejected residents ofSatellite is a recurring theme throughout the series. While the class system exists in the English anime, it is not as severe and much less emphasized. Some dialogue referring to the class system such as "Satellite scum" is replaced. Nerve and Blitz also had their names switched, so now they are Blitz and Nervin respectively.The English dub adds a card explanation when a certain card is played during a duel, usually once an episode and mostly only about what is obvious to the viewer (ATK, DEF, Level and Attribute). It displays the card's ATK and DEF, type, attribute and effect (if it's a monster). With Spells, Speed Spells, and Traps, it just explains their effect . In the English version changes have been made to character names and personalities. Certain scenes and images have been altered and removed as well. The show's darker content also has been changed in order to give the show a more Western younger feel and make the show more marketable across non-English countries.The original music and sound effects are completely replaced in the English version. Much of the 4Kids dub sound effects are made from the original Japanese sound effects or are made sounding like the sound effects from the original Japanese version, though much quieter. But this is the first of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime dubs to have some of the sound effects from the original Japanese version used along with the music completely replaced.Things such as nudity, religions, blood, weapons, killing, and death are censored in the English version.Life Points, ATK, DEF, and Level meters are redesigned in the English version.Due to FCC regulations as well as to make the show more marketable to non-English speaking countries and even for the purposes of cultural streamlining, intended to make the show more understandable or palatable to Western audiences, instances of Japanese and English text are airbrushed out, blurred or replaced with horizontal lines, odd-shapes, and other meaningless symbols in the English version. Not only that but this is the first of 4Kids anime adaptations to ever show Japanese and English changed to languages similar to Latin. The text on the Duel Runners are edited out or replaced with some kinds of symbols. When the players' Life Points reach 0, the screens on the Duel Runners have the word "DEFEAT" replaced with a big X.The show is one of 4Kids' anime dubs to still be close captioned by the National Captioning Institute.The English dub excluded episodes 36-41 from their original television run; however, 4Kids has since put the missing episodes on the 4Kids website. The television broadcast continued from episode 42 onwards.According to the 4Kids' website, the second season (Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's: Road to Destiny) is set to air on September 18, 2010 on Toonzai. It will air two new episodes every Saturday after that. The first season of the dub returned to the CW4Kids on May 29, 2010 at the 11:00 AM block. On August 7, 2010, the CW4Kids aired the first season finale. On Saturday, August 14, 2010, 4Kids showed reruns of the first season beginning with Yusei's second duel with Dark Signer Kalin and ending with the first-season finale once more on the same date as the premiere of "Road to Destiny". However, the 11:00 AM slot was replaced by the original Yu-Gi-Oh! anime, and now only one new episode airs at 11:30.In the current fall line-up, Toonzai!, a name given by 4Kids to emphasize the fact the the majority of its current running shows are anime series, began airing the new season of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's: Road to Destiny on September 18, 2010.4Kids has decided to skip Episode 85 and has confirmed that on November 27, it will go straight towards the Crashtown arc after episode 84 airs in English. However, Episode 85 aired later on February 5, 2011, after being put up on Hulu, Toonzaki, and the 4Kids website.On June 18th, 2011, 4Kids has decided to skip Episodes 111 to 122. It will go straight to the episode where Team 5D's and Team Ragnarok meet each other for the first time. However, Subtitled versions of the skipped episodes are being posted on the Toonzai website.On September 10th, 2011, episodes 135-136 were merged into a one hour episode, which aired on Toonzai. However, the ending was edited so that after Aporia lost, the Divine Temple disappeared from existence. As a result, the special one hour episode ended with the celebration of Team 5D's victory as the series finale. The last season was not dubbed, leaving the series incomplete just like how the previous series was also left incomplete. According to the Toonzaki webmaster, they ended the series like this due to "low ratings".
Things changed in the dub in ZEXAL:
`79;Some names are Americanized.
`79;The names on the Duelist's picture are removed.
`79;The Win Sound Effect is changed in the English Dub.
`79;Skirts and socks on female characters are lengthened to avoid any sexual implications.'s
`79;Astral's ower body is blurred out to avoid references to nudity.
`79;The backs of the cards have been edited to become the standard backing seen in the other series, with an exception in the first 8 episodes, when they re-aired, the backings are changed.
`79; In episode 26 and onward, the backing of the cards changed to how they appear in the World Duel Carnival arc, just like the Japanese version.
`79;The scenes depicting Numbers users aging from "Photon Hand" is cut.
`79;Although this isn't the case when Kite takes Reginald Kastle's soul.
`79;When an Overlay Unit is used, the sound effect has been replaced with a new one.
`79;The Life Point sound effect is replaced with a different one than the original.

oculus_de_logica

Con

I'd like to point out that the last set of arguments made by my opponent were more or less directly copied and pasted from his respective sources. Despite the fact that they are all correct they have nothing to do with the debate topic, or at least my opponent didn't properly explain how they are connected to the resolution. he didn't effectively refute any of my arguments and didn't put any more arguments on the table to refute.

I'm going to extend my arguments and hand the debate back to my opponent.
PeriodicPatriot

Pro

First, I am a GIRL. Second, I am sorry that I did not explain how it was related. When you said 5ds had more ratings, it was incorrect.

Conclusion: Yu-Gi-Oh! GX is better than 5Ds and Zexal.
oculus_de_logica

Con

Oh, well, Pardon me then, I did not check your gender beforehand.

Back to the debate:
When we are talking about ratings I was talking about how popular the series was with it's fans, not how many watched the "brutally murdered version that 4Kids aired" as one of the reviews chose to word it; Where we found that 5D was better received by the audience of the franchise.

Now, from your long quote in the fourth round that was only vaguely related to the debate you can read that 5D was cancelled due to low rating; But remember that this was also the case with GX. They chose the first season of 5D over the last one of GX because they didn't have enough money to run both series at the same time and instead of putting 5D on hold for a while they killed GX because it wasn't popular. 'True' fans preferred to watch the subtitled anime instead of the dubbed version and that meant that they bypassed 4Kids. This caused a drop in viewer ratings that was never recovered. 4Kids aren't loosing ratings just because one series is better than the other, they are loosing ratings because they are doing a terrible job at translating and localizing the material.

And that is the main issue: The cartoon isn't a valid scale when it comes to
deciding what spin off is the best one, because we're talking about 2 different shows: the anime and the cartoon. The anime must be the reference point because it came first, it was the original. And because there isn't a fixed scale that measures how good a show/series is we must turn to those that consume it, the audience. As I pointed out in my opening arguments a large portion of the demographic chose 5D over GX over Zexal. Hence, out of the two series that my opponent claims that are inferior one is doing better, just by a negligible amount. The show that was deeper and tried to break in a new, dark era of the show provided the franchise with new angles, new merchandise and new stories that entertained the masses. And in show business, entertainment is everything.

Posted by Frikcha 3 years ago
Frikcha
Yu Gi Oh GX was one of the best series. Jayden Yuki was a great successor to Yugi becuase of his easy going nature and godlike self confidence. Finally some characters who didn't cream at the top of their lungs when they set a monster in defense mode. i think 5D had a rushed storyline and the motorcycle gimmick was just annoying. Zexal's new character design and art style paired with the annoying dub voices made me me want to throw up. Yuma just wasn't a likable character and neither were any of the others.
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
Are you suggesting that DDO is "supposed" to be silly? I'd disagree with you there: In my opinion, I think that DDO shouldn't exclude silly debates, but I think that DDO is a place for sharing ideas, and not just for sheer entertainment.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
PeriodicPatriotoculus_de_logicaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguments were well sourced. I did not understand any of Pro's arguments in R4 and I'm not sure about plagiarism so Pro lost S & G in R4.