TheRealSpassky101
jonahofdeath

Zero is a number

TheRealSpassky101 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

TheRealSpassky101

Con

You may have the first argument. Good luck.
jonahofdeath

Pro

Before I begin I would like to thank my opponent for allowing me to debate the issue on zero being a number.

My first point is that zero has to be a number. If we look at the definition of a number:

Number: an arithmetical value, expressed by a word, symbol, or figure, representing a particular quantity and used in counting and making calculations and for showing order in a series or for identification.

0 has an arithmetical value, as it is the symbol used when there isn't something. Even if 0 is the absent of the number, black is still considered a color even if it is the "absense of color" That being said, 0 is definitely a number. If we didn't have a zero existing as a number, 30 wouldn't be an existing number, but 3 would. 29 has a value of 29, 31 has a value of 31, but if 0 isn't a number, 30 has a value of 3.

This reasoning alone is my arguement.

Again, thank you and good luck!
Posted by Elle.C 1 year ago
Elle.C
I would say that zero is a number because if added to an equation it can dramatically change the solution.
Posted by AnEmpty 1 year ago
AnEmpty
Zero is not number- notice how I just spelled the number zero? "0" is also not a number- notice how the voice inside your head (or how you just enunciated zero under your breathe) just made that unmistakable utterance that can be spelled out as "zero"? In other words, there are no numbers, as one would often prescribe the definition to zero and its ilk; they are and have always been words that are simply categorized as numbers and are given their numerical forms because of their distinct functions in communications, out of convenience- a category does not dictate identity, it only alludes to one.

Try reciting the following out loud: 2+1-4/-1=1

It's like calling a smiley an emoji, when it is really just an emotional expression of mild glee.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
my point is, it is therfore a number
Posted by Chris330 1 year ago
Chris330
I don't think I could debate that over 5 rounds. Other than saying yes it is 4 times.
Posted by TheRealSpassky101 1 year ago
TheRealSpassky101
I doubt that any of us will be arguing that.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
well its not a letter
Posted by TheRealSpassky101 1 year ago
TheRealSpassky101
It is. It is also a preparation for a debate with my friend.
Posted by Chris330 1 year ago
Chris330
is this a real debate or are you just wanting to have fun?