summer56561
Muddy-Rivers

Zombie Apocalypse Is It Ever Going To Happen?

summer56561

Pro

I think it is very possible, because of all the chemicals going around today and with the technology we have, we could defiantly alter some kind of virus into a sick kind of cannibalism. plus there's all the stuff about bath salts what do you guys think?
Muddy-Rivers

Con

The opening part of my argument lies in definitions. The topic is so vague that this must be the first point to be made. Being as there is a full five rounds to this I think that is completely acceptable and still allows plenty of time to prove my arguments.

Zombies: Implied by my opponent as cannibalistic and affected by a virus, this is not necessarily the true definition of zombies but rather a misnomer that has been attributed based upon popular movies, including 28 Days Later, Resident Evil and I Am Legend. While the concept of zombies or the undead has been around for milenia (one could argue that the story of Lazarus or the resurrection of Jesus is that of a zombie), the popular idea behind hordes of undead and reanimated corpses is fairly recent. For the purposes of argument and definition, I will attribute the concept of zombies and a societal breakdown to the movie Night of the Living Dead in 1968 by George A. Romero.

Now, while my opponent may argue the virus, still living types (28 Days, I Am Legend, etc) are zombies, I will leave the burden of proof on him to establish that. As he states, cannibalistic qualities caused by a virus, I argue that while popularized as cannibals, cannibalism is not necessarily a defining trait of zombies as there are societies that practice cannibalism and also it is known that in multiple instances people have done this to survive harsh conditions. I will, however, grant the characteristic of a primal survival instinct that incorporates violence and attraction to anything living (be it human, dog, or rat) as a feature of zombies.

Apocalypse: For purposes of this debate I will consider apocalypse to mean the complete breakdown of society and reversion to pre-civilization societies including scavenging, hunting and gathering and other aspects of pre-civilized society times.

Now that those definitions are established, regarding your mention of altering a virus or bath salts to induce a zombie apocalypse I do not see that as possible for multiple reasons:
1. Bath salts or designer dugs must be ingested to induce the canibalistic qualities, unless the whole of society begins ingesting these it is absolutely impossible for a drug that is taken at-will to cause a breakdown of society. Due to the method of ingestion, even if it were to be introduced to food or water supplies, it would be noticed far too soon for it to cause anything near catastrophic issues. Even so, it is not true zombies, it is not apocalyptic, and drugs are not transmittable via bite or other methods.

2. An altered virus would require a massive form of implementation into the populace with an extremely fast incubation and manifesting of symptoms period. Similar to that of anthrax or VX nerve gas (though not a virus but that type of speed), the virus would need to spread incredibly fast. Beyond that it still is not true zombies. I will still continue the argument on this point but I need to specify that virus agents that modify the human behavior to a point that it reduces brain function to violence and survival instinct only does not constitute a zombie.

I look forward to your response.
summer56561

Pro

summer56561 forfeited this round.
Muddy-Rivers

Con

Muddy-Rivers forfeited this round.
summer56561

Pro

Actually the topic of zombies isn't all the recent. Some of the first text related to zombies came of old voodoo rituals, zombies were often called "zombi". In the voodoo rituals it states that the person who reanimated a corpse(s) is in complete control of the undead creature(s). but that wouldn't be anything that would make a zombie apocalypse it was just some background on the history of zombies. While I agree with you on the whole bath salts thing, I strongly disagree on the virus. A virus can spread fast, very fast just think of all the germs and people we come in contact with every day. You can go to the grocery store and two days later your sick why? Because u could have touched a cart or food product that someone with a virus touched and it got in to you. Stuff like that would happen everywhere it wouldnt take long for the virus to spread, you could get coughed on or bitten. And if the government had wanted to make the virus? Well then no one would be able to create a cure for all we know the virus could actually be a disease and could be incurable like Aids there are so many different ways a virus or disease could spread we would be in a lot of trouble. Viruses can have a large array of effets on our bodies, so who's to say one can't damage most of our brains making us only have the simplest movements and needs? It could happen and not quite right now but later with the technology we have access to there's really no telling what we could do
Muddy-Rivers

Con

Muddy-Rivers forfeited this round.
summer56561

Pro

summer56561 forfeited this round.
Muddy-Rivers

Con

Muddy-Rivers forfeited this round.
summer56561

Pro

summer56561 forfeited this round.
Muddy-Rivers

Con

Muddy-Rivers forfeited this round.
Posted by silentrambo 3 years ago
silentrambo
Honestly there is a flaw in this question because it requires knowledge of the future. I hypothetical pathogen could exist that would create a zombie like host, yet the questions "will it ever happen" is not phrased very well. Could it happen? I believe it could. Will it happen? Probably not.
Posted by summer56561 4 years ago
summer56561
Just because they dont exsit doesnt mean they never will it could happen, be more open minded maybe?
Posted by Kiwi18311 4 years ago
Kiwi18311
NEVER EVER GUNNA HAPPEN simply because zombies don't exist!