left_wing_mormon
BillBonJovi

Zombies Cannot Run!

BillBonJovi

left_wing_mormon

Pro

This is a debate to put an end to it all!

With Halloween passing by and a new television series concerning Zombies (AMC "The Walking Dead) I felt it was appropriate to discuss the topic. For many years in the Zombie Sub-culture, we have been debating whether or not when the dead rise, will they be able to chase us down or stagger after us?

What my opponent must do, to be clear, is refute my arguments by using media and pop culture. (Literature, movies, internet.) This is to be fun and feel free to have some fun with it. I understand that Zombies do not exist, or at least not yet, so winning is just a matter of "proving" a better case, aka having fun. Thanks.

I will be contending that Zombies cannot in anyway run at a fast pace. One step further, if the average person can run 11 mph( according to KGB http://www.kgbanswers.com...) I'll say Zombies cannot keep a speed of 11 mph.

For my first argument, I'll go to the origins of how Zombies came to be. Zombies in our culture first appeared officially as "the undead" in 1968 in George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead". You will recall that the first zombie in that movie appears to "chase" Barbara to her car. However, when closely examine this zombie we can tell two things. First, he is chasing her down hill, making his strides longer, appearing to be moving at a high speed. Two, as Max Brooks points out in his book "The Zombie Survival Guide", the speed of a zombie is determined mainly by the leg size. The zombie from the movie was considerably tall, however with these two elements taken into account, his speed comes nowhere close to breaking 11 mph.

We are talking about a walking corpse, not an athelete, criminal, or school child, or any one else you would expect to be able to run circles around the rest of us. This is my first argument. I look forward to seeing my opponent refute my case and propose his.

BillBonJovi

Con

I thank my opponent for making this interesting debate about Zombies. I'd like to say that I love Zombies films and I do know quite a bit about them.

Towards the end of my opponent's first round he said "We are talking about a walking corpse, not an athelete, criminal, or school child, or any one else you would expect to be able to run circles around the rest of us."
It appears that my opponent believes that Zombies are just walking corpses. This is FALSE.

Using this reference for the meaning of "Zombie": http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
You will see that (in the directory section) it describes various meanings of zombies as:

"1. A snake god of voodoo cults in West Africa, Haiti, and the southern United States.
2. A supernatural power or spell that according to voodoo belief can enter into and reanimate a corpse.
3. One who looks or behaves like an automaton."

Fact 3 is the key fact I will use to argue this debate which is that a zombie can be one who looks or behaves like an automaton. If someone behaves like an automaton it means they are not behaving like a normal human would, sometimes it could also mean they are out of control.

In the first round my opponent said:
"What my opponent must do, to be clear, is refute my arguments by using media and pop culture. (Literature, movies, internet.)"
And so this is what I shall do to argue my case that Zombies can indeed run.

Using reference to the British horror films called 28 days later (2002) and 28 weeks later (2007)...
28 days later: http://en.wikipedia.org...
28 weeks later: http://en.wikipedia.org...

The story of these films revolves around a time when Animal activists invade a laboratory with the intention of releasing chimpanzees that are undergoing experimentation, infected by a virus -a virus that causes rage. The naive activists ignore the pleas of a scientist to keep the cages locked, with disastrous results that lead to the chimps biting the humans and infecting them with the virus. Later on after the incident, zombies are running around London killing non-infected humans.

The Zombies in these films are not walking corpses like Pro believes Zombies to only be. They are in fact rage infected humans hell bent on killing people who have not been infected with the rage virus. And of course they all behave like automatons (like I described earlier) so they are in fact zombies.

The zombies in the 28 days later films can run and to prove they can run please watch the first video source I have provided.

This is scene from the film 28 weeks later that shows zombies running after a human. Unfortunately the up loader of the video has edited the video to have funny song playing at the same time, but I'm sure there is enough to notice that the zombies in these films can indeed run at a fast pace.

I will end my first round here.
left_wing_mormon

Pro

left_wing_mormon forfeited this round.
BillBonJovi

Con

Unfortunately my opponent forfeited his last round, so for my next round I will simply once again restate my point.

A zombie is known as an un-dead creature, something that was dead but came back to life, in some movies, literature, or games, the zombies are in existence because of some virus. In which case the people infected are physically dead, however, in some cases people who have died have come back to life. In the movie Night of the Living Dead, people who have already died, been buried, etc. came back to life.

However, in some other zombie films and computer games, those who are already dead when the outbreak occurs, do not become infected. Meaning that those games didn't feature walking corpses instead they just featured infected hosts driven out of control hell bent on killing the non-infected.

For example in the video game Resident evil 4 there are Zombies called Los Ganados. The following source as a reference: http://residentevil.wikia.com...

Unlike walking corpse zombies, Ganados appear outwardly human and possess much of their intelligence and sentience, being quite capable of speaking and carrying out normal day to day tasks (more complex tasks are beyond them, such as hygiene), but are nonetheless utterly devoted to their 'Master' in the form of Osmund Saddler who is able to control the lesser Ganados most likely with the use of high pitched sound waves issuing from his Plaga-derived staff.

Also Zombies are people who have been given a mixture of drugs that slows the heartbeat down so much; it becomes undetectable, and paralyses their muscles. They are buried by their families, and then dug up secretly by the maker of the concoction. They have to continually be given the drugs, or they will wake up from their stupor. Often they're sent to work manual labour on big, isolated farms.

The point is that Zombies are not just walking corpses as CON believes them to be. They can anything that appeared to be possessed in a way and performs hurt and death on other humans. And of course a lot of them have the ability to run... expect the ones that are walking corpses of Course.

I will end my second round here...
left_wing_mormon

Pro

left_wing_mormon forfeited this round.
BillBonJovi

Con

Well as you can see my opponent has forfeited the remaining rounds he/she had after I posted my first argument. I think it's clear I proved PRO wrong and PRO could not think of any argument to come back with.

Conclusion:
Zombies are not just walking corpses; they come in many different types. They can be virus infected humans, magically possessed humans and even just crazy people. Anyone who doesn't act like a normal human can be classed as a zombie.
And zombies CAN indeed run... (Depending on what kind of zombie they are)

I thank PRO for this largely unchallenging debate, it's been interesting.

Vote CON
Posted by Puck 6 years ago
Puck
"ombies in our culture first appeared officially as "the undead" in 1968 in George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead"."

http://www.etymonline.com...
Vote Placed by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
left_wing_mormonBillBonJoviTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 6 years ago
Koopin
left_wing_mormonBillBonJoviTied