StilettoStomper
TUF

Zooey Deschanel is just so... ugh

TUF

StilettoStomper

Pro

Honestly, I don't think she's a good actress at all. I find her to be very strange, blas�, and unlikable, but obviously she has a huge fan base. My opponent must prove how her bored-with-everyone-and-everything, half dead, and nonchalant attitude and personality works for all the huge roles she lands in movies and media, which is obviously making her quite a fortune.
TUF

Con

I am actually happy I snatched this debate before anyone else could. This should be fun because Zooey Deschanel actually happens to be my favorite female actress.

I would like to thank my opponent for offering up a what should fascinating, and exciting debate. With that said, I'll move on to my arguments.

My 3 main arguments for this debate will be:

1. Zooey Deschanel displays great charm and appeal, as well as personality as an actress in the films she performs in.

2. Zooey Deschanel brings a different taste to the movies she plays in, and she makes a great female lead portraying independent, strong, and willful, yet charming characters.

3. Zooey Dechanel's great fan base, is due wildly to her many talents and strengths as an actress.

My attempt in this debate, will be to prove that the allegations against the quality of the actress "Zooey Deschanel", are flawed, and quite the contrary.

On to my first point.

Any body that had followed Zooey Deschanel, will know that she brings a a different taste to the movies she plays in. What is it that makes Zooey such a great actor? Here is my opinion. Zooey Deschanel when acting, implements an overwhelming amount of her own personality in the chracters she portrays. When watching a film, this helps the viewers develop the sense of what is actually going on in the movie, and we can better portray feelings and emotions from that character. This is a great quality to have in acting, because it makes the character seem more real, which is essentially the goal of any director. This is why Zooey continues to grow as a rising star in a plethora of films, that can be found at the link below.
http://www.imdb.com...

Zooey also makes for a great actress because she is easily able to charm and appeal to her audience. She has mastered facial expressions and voice, to implement a better understanding of feeling and emotions. She makes everything about her acting, as real as she can get it. Her smiles are not forced, her movements are natural, emotions are played out as if she is experiencing them in real life. She is every bit as good as an actress, for any director to want her as a star character in a movie.
Check out her fan sites below for more reviews.
http://www.facebook.com...
http://www.fanpop.com...

http://zooey-deschanel.us...

I will use the movie "yes man" as an example for this, because I believe this is one in which she peaked in her acting career. In this movie Zooey Deschanel virtually didn't have to do any acting whatsoever, as she essentially was the character. Zooey is not a normal conventional woman. In this movie she does everything that makes her happy, and is strong willed in her pursuits. She was an absolutely fantastic part for this movie, mostly due to the fact that she implement her own oddities as a new variation in the movie. This is portayed by certain scenes throughout the movie, such as: The motor scooter scene, the running pictures scenes, the odd music bar festival with random but cute lyrics, etc.

Zooey portays herself as independent and free form judgement in the movies she plays in, which essentially causes fan to think of her as a strong willed actress, willing to play any part, to any extreme.

Please see video 2.

As far as listing Zooey's strengths, I feels I have done that in the above two points. While being bombarded with the crazy life of an actress, Zooey Deschanel does not let it get in the way of what she loves most. Music.
Zooey Deschanel has a band called "she and him", that she pursues in addition to her acting career. As Zooey Deschanel is a fantastic actress, she is also notably an amazing singer, and guitar player. With Zooey being on the set of "new girl", being able to manage her band on the side, is quite a notable feat.
http://www.sheandhim.com...

She displays a unique twist to her music, with her lyrics being mostly upbeat, happy, and pursuant to her lifestyle and dreams.

Zooey dechanel is an absolute doll to watch during any performance, and she will continue to charm her audience, no matter what talens she is performing on stage or off.

I will now move on to my opponents points.

" I find her to be very strange, blas�, and unlikable, but obviously she has a huge fan base."

I understand the strange, as that is usually the character that Zooey Dechanel aims to portray, but in no way see it as being a negative. I Honestly don't see how she can be portrayed as "unlikable", when even you in your very same sentence say she has a huge fan base. I know that this is merely an argument of expression, but I strongly reccommend watching some more of the films she plays in, so you can get more of a feel for the kind of person she really is.

"My opponent must prove how her bored-with-everyone-and-everything, half dead, and nonchalant attitude and personality works for all the huge roles she lands in movies and media, which is obviously making her quite a fortune."

In this statement, I find it quite troubling that this can be made to prove Zooey in all of her films. In fact, thinking about it, I cannot think of a single movie where Zooey Deschanel plays a flatline boring character.
Watch movies such as "Yes man", "The princess and the Pea", "500 days of summer", etc, I could make an entire list. None of the movies you will see her in follow anywhere close to that rather depressing category you are placing her in. If Zooey Deschanel has been seen acting in that way in any film, it is simply because that is the part she is aiming to play, and she has fooled you, by doing a miraculous job at playing it that way!

To conclude:
I understand that this debate is founded around pure opinion only, thus finding hard core facts is going to impossible for both sides. What I ask of the viewers of this debate, is to vote on who you think painted a better picture of the actress, and our opinions of her. I feel I have proved that Zooey Deschanel does not fit in the category my opponent is placing her in, in enough sense, that to call Zooey Deschanel a poor actor, would be an unfounded statement.
I feel this debate will prove to be exciting and fun, and I very much am looking forward to my opponents response. Also I hope that you, the viewers, have a fantastic time is reading this debate and enjoy yourselves thoroughly.
Thankyou for your time and patience, and good luck to StillettoStomper.
StilettoStomper

Pro

Thank you, and good luck to you too!

You have made many good points.

Zooey Deschanel definitely is not talent-less. The first movie I had ever seen her in was Elf, and I liked her a lot. I thought she was quirky and different. Her character Jovie was still nonchalant, but it worked. I especially loved the scene where she was singing in the shower- I remember thinking "wow, she's got a really great voice!"

Two years later, I saw her in Hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy. I noticed that her take on the character Trillian was identical to Jovie. After that, I saw her in Tin Man, and noticed that she had the same take on that character too. Since then, I have seen a pattern in every part she has played. She's the same character. In EVERYTHING. Jovie, Trillian, DG, Allison, SUMMER (boy, did that character piss me off... poor Tom)... they're ALL the same- half dead and nonchalant. It worked for one character, but one is enough.

I feel very similar about her singing style- she's very good for certain types of songs, but others... her voice is just too blah to pull it off. For example, she sang the hell out of "Baby, It's Cold Outside", but she didn't sound so hot singing "Sugar Town" and many other recent songs... and theme song for her newest show- New Girl, seems like there is something missing. Speaking of New Girl...

Zooey breaks the chain of "bored" characters as Jess. YAY. I have to say that I do like this character.

However...

I think another actress would have suited the role much better. Zooey playing Jess just seems like Zooey PLAYING Jess. Not BEING Jess. It's like a bored person trying to pretend they're not bored. Their actions and their words may resemble that of someone who is partying and having a good time, but their tone of voice and facial expressions SCREAM boredom... "Blah. I wanna go to bed. Thank god I'm getting paid to do this. Etc."

The IMDB link you sent me... her picture pretty much says it. Instead of saying "cheese", she looks like she's saying "I'm bored".

It's great to have a signature style that you can incorporate into all of your parts when acting, but this one just comes out way too much.

Obviously she is doing well though, she has MANY fans, and this argument is entirely my opinion. I just think she needs to break free a little. New Girl may be a good push in the right direction for her, but there is a lot of room for improvement.
TUF

Con

I would like to re post this quote from my opponent, because I believe it is important. My opponent has admitted several times during her "rebuttal" that Zooey Deschanel has talent, and that she is actually entertaining in quite a few movies she plays in. I would like to point out that this is contradictive of her above statement.

These statements made by my opponent, pretty much prove that Zooey deschanel does not represent a boring nonchalant attitude in the movies she plays in:

"Zooey Deschanel definitely is not talent-less."
"I liked her a lot. "
"wow, she's got a really great voice!"

However I will commence with the arguments.

" I noticed that her take on the character Trillian was identical to Jovie. After that, I saw her in Tin Man, and noticed that she had the same take on that character too. Since then, I have seen a pattern in every part she has played. She's the same character. In EVERYTHING. Jovie, Trillian, DG, Allison, SUMMER (boy, did that character piss me off... poor Tom)... they're ALL the same- half dead and nonchalant. It worked for one character, but one is enough."

Trillian
Please look at video one. The character Zooey plays in this movie "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" is actually quite personable. Her lines contain an ethic personality, as well as the clothes she wears. The personality she displays in this movie, goes directly in line with her obvious goal as an actress in the movie.

DG
Now please look at Video number 2 from tin man. Zooey, displays confusion, fright, and humor in this video.

Allison
ON video 3 zooey deschanel displays humor in her character with jim carrey. There is also a scene (couldn't find on youtube) where zooey and jim argue about moving in together. There is a cute romantic scene with them singing to an imaginary audience as well in the movie. Zooey Deschanel displays great talent in this movie as allison

Summer
Video 4 and 5.
Zooey and joseph, playing in the Ikea. Summer and Tom dancing.

I think I have provided enough evidence. All these characters my opponent stated "are the same", are actually very different, offering a total new concept to each character she plays in each movie.

"I feel very similar about her singing style- she's very good for certain types of songs, but others... her voice is just too blah to pull it off. For example, she sang the hell out of "Baby, It's Cold Outside", but she didn't sound so hot singing "Sugar Town" and many other recent songs... and theme song for her newest show- New Girl, seems like there is something missing. Speaking of New Girl..."

These kind of statements confuse me, because you advocate that every single thing my by Zooey is non chalant and boring, but then go on to say she "sang the hell out of baby its cold outside." So which is it? Is she a good singer, or a bad singer?
Is she a good actress or a boring actress?
My goal in this debate was to prove that she is not the same in all of her movies. You have succesfully proven that for me on several occasions throughout this debate.

"Zooey breaks the chain of "bored" characters as Jess. YAY. I have to say that I do like this character."

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Looks like the pro is admitting Zooey isn't all that bad AGAIN. I guess we all know where we can place our votes.

Wait.. *gasps* Zooey was supposed to act out the character she was assigned to play? Bad Zooey! Someone else was definitely better suited to fit that role! *sarcasm*

I don't believe the statement about "zooey pretending to be bored" is true at all, and that she in fact plays lively characters in her movies. Actors that are boring playing as their roles, don't get cast into movies, especially the amount she has been in.

To conclude, I would like to say that both my opponent and myself have agreed that Zooey Deschanel isn't a total boring and nonchalant character. If my opponent is willing to admit that Some movies she plays in, are well played by her, then I win this debate. To say she is mostly a good actor, would have made for a better forum discussion in the entertainment thread. I feel I have uphelp my BOP and have proven that Zooey Deschanel is in fact a better actress than my opponent has originally stated.

It it for all of these reasons, I strongly urge you to vote CON.

http://www.imdb.com...
http://twitter.com...
http://zooey-deschanel.us...
http://zooey-deschanel.net...
http://www.myspace.com...
StilettoStomper

Pro

StilettoStomper forfeited this round.
TUF

Con

My opponent has forfeited this round, thus giving me the win on this debate.

I urge you to vote Con, as I have succesfully proven that Zooey dechanel is not boring in all of her movies. The pro also admits this fact as well.

Please extend all arguments, thankyou.
Posted by TUF 2 years ago
TUF
Yes zooey deschanels sexiness will always prevail!
Posted by tulle 2 years ago
tulle
I have to eat my words. I'm currently watching New Girl and I watched the previous episode and it's actually really funny now. The first few episodes weren't my style but I like it now and thus don't hate Zooey anymore.
Posted by TUF 2 years ago
TUF
I have never watched new girl, but I've seen just about everything else with her in it.
Posted by nonentity 2 years ago
nonentity
But yeah, if I had made it in time for the voting, it definitely would've gone to Con :)
Posted by nonentity 2 years ago
nonentity
Ahh I completely 100% agree with Pro haha I hated Zooey Deschanel ever since 500 Days of Summer. I watched the first, like, 4 episodes of New Girl and couldn't stand it.

Same canon in every episode:
-She's super awkward and the guys roll their eyes at her
-Something happens that makes her feel sad
-The guys act super awkward like her to make her feel better about her lonely, pathetic, loser life

And then one black guy disappeared and was replaced by a less attractive black guy? What?

Yah, I'm not a fan :p
Posted by Maikuru 2 years ago
Maikuru
New Girl is hilarious.
Posted by Billybobish 2 years ago
Billybobish
Who is Zooey Deschanel?
Vote Placed by Xerge 2 years ago
Xerge
StilettoStomperTUFTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited last round, leaving Con's case unaddressed...
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
StilettoStomperTUFTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro conceded to actually liking her in some roles which didnt do any good for her own position, she forfeited the last round, con used many sources showing how good she was, that being said this was a solid win for the con.