paramore102
conoscenza

Zoos Do More Harm Then Good?

conoscenza

paramore102

Con

First of all I would Like to Thank my opponent for excepting my debate and wish him/she the best of luck.

So what is a Zoo exactly?
The institution where animals are exhibited in captivity(the state of being imprisoned).

Second of all I will give reasons why I fell that Zoos Do More Harm.

1.) They are taken out of their natural environment.
(The only reason that this would work is if the animal is injured and is in need of special treatment, but the animal should be set back to its natural environment after it has been taken care of.)

2.) They (zoo animals) are being used for no other then an entertainment to humans.
(Zoos do not educate humans on how because the animals in the zoo do not behave naturally.)

3.) They limit the amount of space that is need for the animal.
(Those animals grow and some say in the same cage that they were put in from the start.)

Sources-
{http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu...}

I wish my opponent the best of luck, and again thank them for takeing the challenge.
conoscenza

Pro

I want to thank paramore102 for starting this debate, and I look forward to an interesting debate.

Firstly, paramore102, please observe the title of this debate. It says "Zoos Do More Harm Then Good". You are opposed to this, clearly because of the fact that you are Con. Thus, you are saying that Zoos do not do more harm than good. However, in your argument, you are saying that Zoos do more harm than good. It is Pro's job to prove that zoos do more harm than good. Clearly, because of your argument, you agree with Pro, and thus, Pro has already won the debate.

I now want to list the zoo cons.

1. Wild animals are meant to be wild
An excellent example of this would be Maggie the Elephant in Alaska. Maggie was forced to live in a small, indoor enclosure due to cold, outside temperatures. In the enclosure, Maggie had to suffer through extreme boredom and even foot problems. If elephants were out in the wild, they woul cover more than 30 miles each day in herds, grazing the fields and occasionally stopping at the watering holes. Finally, in 2007, caused the Alaska Zoo to finally cave in.

2. Humans don't know what is best for animals
What I mean by this is humans don't know what the animal likes or dislikes. For example, zebras in Washington D.C starved to death due to insufficient and incorrect food. Red pandas in china also died due to them ingesting rat poison in the food.

3. Being caged induces stress upon the animals
Though the more natural looking habitats are more attractive to the animals, they are not much of an improvement in terms of space. As a result, many captive animals have shown sign of stress. People have seen elephants bobbing their heads and pacing back and forth and wild cats obsessively grooming themselves.

4. Zoochosis
Forced to live in artificial constructs, many animals succumb to what some people refer to as zoochosis, the display of obsessive, repetitive behaviors .

Source:

http://animals.howstuffworks.com...

I wish my opponent good luck.
paramore102

Con

I want to say sorry to my opponent for my misunderstanding, I meant to go pro on this not con!

Therefor I can not debate as planed it would make not since for me to prove con correct when I don't feel strongly about it. Again I'm sorry about the confusion.
conoscenza

Pro

No problem :-D

Just be a little more careful next time. ;)
paramore102

Con

paramore102 forfeited this round.
Posted by dninja13 7 years ago
dninja13
This was already a debate once, wasn't it?
Vote Placed by conoscenza 8 years ago
conoscenza
paramore102conoscenzaTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 8 years ago
philosphical
paramore102conoscenzaTied