gregthedestroyer
rougeagent21

Zoo's are bad for animals.

rougeagent21

gregthedestroyer

Pro

Pro
I will start this by metioning my points and I will elaborate on them in my next round.

1) In these zoos there are not enough room for these animals to live the cages are smaller then they should be for this the animal. Animals should be treated with respect and kindness. Whatever the good intentions of zoo-keepers, animals in zoos suffer. They are inevitably confined in unnaturally small spaces, and are kept from the public by cages and bars. They suffer psychological distress, often displayed by abnormal or self-destructive behaviour. Aquatic animals do not have enough water, birds are prevented from flying away by having their wings clipped and being kept in aviaries.
http://animals.howstuffworks.com...
this brings me to my next point.

2) Zoo's effect animals mentally
In tight spaces, animals are devoid of the "ecologic minimum". In nature, they consume their energy by running, walking, jumping, climbing, hunting, hiding, playing, cleaning and so on. Captive animals are extremely bored. They vent their energy through those stereotypical movements in the small available space, like continuous tours of the cage. This has severe physiological and mental effects. Animals turn aggressive or fearful and their metabolism is deeply affected, the effect being either weight loss, wrong molting, deformed walk and others or, by contrary, obesity, sedentariness, apathy. This change profoundly the typical look of the species.
i got this from http://news.softpedia.com...

3) Animal anger
this was already talked about in my 2 contention. Because of these mental effects as i stated anger. So these animals attack the keepers or anybody that gets to close and then the animals are blamed for it and are put down.
rougeagent21

Con

Greg,

I apologize as I will not be able to put an argument up this round. My computer crashed and I have only a short time on this library computer. I should have one up next round. Thanks for your understanding!
gregthedestroyer

Pro

It is ok I understand. My arguments follow on to this round. I hope you get your computer fixed. Good Luck.
rougeagent21

Con

Alright, sorry about that. It should be good now. I will first state my own case, and then address my opponent's.

Zoos take in animals whose habitats have been, or are being, destroyed, or that do not have enough food. Zoos help the animals by putting them in captivity, supplying them with food and a suitable habitat. Some zoos also take in animals who were orphaned as babies or were injured in an accident and can no longer fend for themsselves in the wild.
Additional Info: The San Diego Zoo has a center that is devoted to the welfare of endangered or threatened animals. They have been working for over 30 years. This center is called "CRES" the Center for Research Endangered Species. It is the largest Zoo based center of it's kind. They are working world wide (20 other countries) to improve breeding and genetic pools for those species standing on the brink of extinction. This is a multidisciplinary research team, and some of their goals are to, combine field, and lab research/studies to improve long-term captive and wild populations. To maintain and share the genetic knowledge and resources to support conservation. Also to improve the health of both wild and captive populations through shared disgnostics and research with other countries. To help revitalize ecosystems by restoring these species to the wild. There is much more detail about their goals and what they have achieved in the past 30 years. If you'd like more details see the site listed below.
This is just one Zoo's efforts to help animals in general. Most Zoos have some program in place to help with breeding, injuried, and/or rehab. of endangered or threatened species. Not all are as large or as estabilished as the CRES, but making an effort is the first step and that alone can help endangered species, or animals in general, by educating the public and planting the seed of compassion. Now to address my opponent's case.

--HIS FIRST POINT--
He says zoos do not provide adequate space for their animals. This can be the case in some situations. Obviously, zoos cannot hold the savanna in their backyard. However, the space that is provided (which in most cases in adequate) is beneficial to the animal. As was stated in my argument, most of the animals would be dead if it were not for the zoo. Whatever space they receive helps them.

--HIS SECOND POINT--
He says here that zoos affect animals' mentalities poorly. Again, zoos often rescue "problem animals." Most already have deficiencies. And again, the zoos provide another chance at life. While in rare cases the animals will attack, this is certainly not the norm. In the rare cases that this actually happens, the animal was usually either injured, or had a mental deficiency, and was in no way provoked by the zoo.

--HIS THIRD POINT--
This is the same as his second contention, which I have already addressed.

Having attacked my opponent's case, I await his response. Again, thank you for your understanding. Good debate!
gregthedestroyer

Pro

rougeagent21,
I seem to have run out of time. I am sorry for this. I had a lot of things going on. Again sorry for this. I am upset about it. Please let me konw if you can debate me on this again.
rougeagent21

Con

Sounds great.
Posted by firebolt40 5 months ago
firebolt40
so I wish there was no animal abuse it hurts
Posted by firebolt40 5 months ago
firebolt40
ik its stuiped to keep animals in zoos its abuse and horrasment not always I hate it then when I see stuff like that I think I did all those bad things its sad! I wish no zoos were invented im also 12 soooo yeah
Posted by abby4254 3 years ago
abby4254
i say anyone who agrees that its not bad to keep animals in zoos is stupid. if you haven't noticed it is very hard to breed animals in zoos, decreasing the number of animals. also with tigers there are only 6 subspecies left and there are more in captivity then there are in the wild, and it has been proven that tigers live longer in the wild than in a zoo 15 years in the wild, and 10-12 in a zoo. those 3 years could be the difference between breeding an not. Plus not only is there less room in a zoo, they have to do with climate changes they're not use to. sounds to me like rougeagent21 needs to do some more research. mention i am a zoology major with a veterinary specialization, later to get my PhD in veterinary medicine and to specialize in big cats.
Posted by snelld7 5 years ago
snelld7
RFD shouldn't include CON's arguments going untouched. Seeing that these people were not purposely avoidin the other's argument...It should go to the person who had the better argument.
Posted by gregthedestroyer 5 years ago
gregthedestroyer
Its cool alex it doesn't bother me.
Posted by rougeagent21 5 years ago
rougeagent21
lol
Posted by Alex 5 years ago
Alex
haha kk, sorry for the long post i was just gonna say one thing then i started ranting...
Posted by gregthedestroyer 5 years ago
gregthedestroyer
Ok thanks everybody for posting. As i said me and rouge are going to debate this again. And Alex what you said about. The Wild Animal Park I was going to bring up as some sort of solution.
Posted by Alex 5 years ago
Alex
I meant "Animal shows" not "Animal shoes" by the way. lol
Posted by Alex 5 years ago
Alex
The intent of the zoo keepers is not what should count. Yes some animals are endangered and it is good to help them. And i will explain how in a moment. The thing is, the spaces are small, and they must face people watching them constantly with the exception of some exhibits featuring "hiding spots".

But...

If the intent was actually just to help the animals then why must they be on display? Sure the money helps support the animals, but by the price of food and admission they are most definitely out for a profit and that is what they are getting. Because of this large profit what is to say that the animals are actually treated well behind closed doors? But yes i am sure it does vary between zoos.

Some of the stress related issues that Greg did present are accurate, as well these animals are not getting adequate exercise unless they run back in forth in their small area. But really..

And what about the pitiful to watch animal shoes..Does commanding them to do tricks in front of a large audience help them from extinction?

On to my resolution, In California there is a place called The Wild Animal Park, if you know about these, they have many acres that are protected as their habitat. Sure they may have their vices but they are alot better than zoos. for the animals anways
Vote Placed by brendizzle29 5 years ago
brendizzle29
gregthedestroyerrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by sabrafink 5 years ago
sabrafink
gregthedestroyerrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 5 years ago
s0m31john
gregthedestroyerrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 5 years ago
KRFournier
gregthedestroyerrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by Epicism 5 years ago
Epicism
gregthedestroyerrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 5 years ago
rougeagent21
gregthedestroyerrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by taylorbot 5 years ago
taylorbot
gregthedestroyerrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by TheSkeptic 5 years ago
TheSkeptic
gregthedestroyerrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by JBlake 5 years ago
JBlake
gregthedestroyerrougeagent21Tied