Zoos are good for the animals

Zoos are bad for the Animals ( care)

I thank my opponent for this debate. I will now define the terms:
Zoo: An establishment that maintains a collection of wild animals, typically in a park or gardens, for study, conservation, or display to the public.
Good: A net positive effect or outcome
Animals: are multicellular, eukaryotic organisms of the kingdom Animalia or Metazoa.

I will now present the arguments:
ARG1: Preservation
We are living in a world where scientists discover an average of 15,000(1) new species per year, usually ones that are highly endangered. I believe that it is in our best interest to preserve as many species as humanly possible, and many species are facing extinction in their own environments due to human interaction like deforestation and excessive hunting. In some cases, the alteration to the environment is so severe that we cannot reverse it. An example is the Amazon Rainforest, which during the past 40 years, close to 20 percent of the Amazon rainforest has been cut down(2). That habitat will take decades if not centuries to replicate, not to mention all repopulation efforts that would need to take place.

I know i can't speak for the objective good of all animals, but if I were in this situation, i would gladly live in a zoo to preserve my race.

ARG 2: Medicinal Benefit
The time we spend with others helps us learn more about each other through experiences and observations, and animals are no exception to the rule. We have learned much from animal study, primarily mammal study, involving the human body.
It has assisted in the discovery of HIV(4), a cause of AIDS, a killer of 1.9 million people in 2011(3), and with major contributions in MRI technology(4). They also were crucial in the development and isolation of the polio virus as to create a vaccine(4). Having the animals in zoos allow for a natural environment suitable for observation by researchers, as it is much safer and less expensive than flying out to a location to gather information. There is also a time frame that the researchers much finish by, as they cannot live out their indefinitely in normal cases. This is a nonexistent problem for a zoo researcher as long as the animal stays alive. What does all this mean for the animals? It means that they will live longer and more securely because of their need, and they will fill their need of reproduction, which i hope we can agree is "good".

I look forward to my opponent's response

HOBOES forfeited this round.

All arguments carry over from previous round.

(Please post...)

If my opponet does forfiet the next round, i would politely ask you not to vote as no discussion took place, therfore not meeting the requirement of a "debate".

I willl now present my argument.( sorry for the Forfieting)

We may think differently from the animals, as if we may think this was the good thing as from keeping the animals away from the danger of extinction.But from the animals side, they may think this is a capturing them from the wild life. The Wild animals are not just called as wild animals.They are called wild animals because they literally live in the wild.They can not be held back from the Cages of the zoos.and when you said "20 percent of the Amaon rainforest has been cut down", I Will argue that why the humans cut down the rain forests.

For the first Rebuttal, I think people are confused the zoos are Caging the wild animals from their habitat, not keeping them from danger.

Rebuttle2:Medical Benefit.
I really don't understand "Having the animals in zoos allow for a natural enviroment suitable for observation by researchers"
Do you mean by using the animals? I look further more explanation from my opponent.

noprisu forfeited this round.
Posted by HOBOES 2 years ago
I know it was a really good topic
Posted by PotBelliedGeek 2 years ago
Wow. This could have been a really good debate, but it went south. I might open up the topic myself.
Posted by noprisu 2 years ago
Bahhh. I hate it when the power fails to operate at my grandparent's. Anyhow, it is still a concession, accidentally done or not, of the last round. However, the opponents forfeit of the second round is still misconduct, so I believe we are equally at fault. My apologies for the last round though. I'm not sure how this will play out, but it will be interesting to see.