padfo0t
crazypenguin

Zoos do more harm than good.

padfo0t

Pro

Thank you crazypenguin, for your time and for the honor of having your first debate, judging by the fact you logged on for the first time right next to me.

First off, many people think that zoos help endangered animals, and returned them to the wild. In reality, there are over 6,000 endangered animals and million upon millions of endangered plant species.On record, only 162 animal species are housed in zoos WORLDWIDE and of those few only 16 have ever been returned to the wild. These species might not have been documented to survive for more than a day though. For example, a species of baboon, 103 in total, were dropped off in a jungle where they came from more than 18 years before, and only 30 survived and were captured for further breeding. All the others were eaten.

Many zoos were found to kill, or cull, animals that no longer attracted visitors. This inhumane reasoning could be easily solved by giving the animals to another zoo, or releasing them, or even giving them away, depending on their species.

I would like to hear what you have to say, and I will refute your points and add some of my own. Thanks.
crazypenguin

Con

Thank you for hosting this debate and thank you judges for being here. Zoos do much more good then harm for many reasons. My first point is that zoos do much more good because they educate many kids worldwide and even many adults. More then half the world would not know about some animals currently housed in the zoo. Each house for an animal contains a sign in front of it informing the reader about the animal and what species it is and other facts. My second point is that zoos also help the animals and save wildlife species. For example, if the zoos had not saved the bald eagle it would be extinct right now; by taking it in, caring for it, and then releasing it in the wild, it saved the species of birds all together. To rebutt my opponents points I have to say zoos are not big and therefore cannot save that many animals I agree but they still save the handful of animals they house.
padfo0t

Pro

First, zoos were only a SMALL portion of why Bald Eagles were saved. Law enforcement on eagle hunting in their native regions was the main cause for their survival.

Second, zoos worldwide say that more than 83% of people visiting zoos just glance at the signs to see the name of the animal on display. Being of a curious nature, I usually read the long, tiny print, but next time you go to the zoo, check if people stand there for very long.

"More then half the world would not know about some animals currently housed in the zoo."
Half the world has never been to a zoo, so they cannot learn about the animals, so when you say this, those people will never know about those animals. The reasons may be that they are too poor, they are uninterested, or they don't live close enough to one.

Zoos are meant to attract visitors and get money, like most other establishments. Most don't care about whether animals survive or not, only how much profit they will make.

Non-profit charities are another thing, but the debate is about zoos.

Many animals kept in their small, restricting cages get a condition dubbed 'zoochosis'. Symptoms of this condition include bar-biting, endless pacing, and laying on the floor of their cage for days, even weeks at a time.
Animals released into the wild, the few there have been, wait until 'meal-time' and they are not used to killing/finding their own food. These released species are not fit for wild life that has been so unkindly thrust upon them.
crazypenguin

Con

To rebutt your points you admitted that zoos did help bald eagles even if it was a small portion it still helped the bald eagle meaning that it caused little but at least some effect so zoos help endangered species.

Second what about the 17% of people you forgot who look at the signs and educate themselves and others which I will adress later on in my argument.

Third Yes half the world has not been in a zoo but what about the other half you are forgetting about them who do go to zoos and even if the poor or uninterested people didn't go enough people are learning about what is going on around the world and educate others.

Fourth that is completly untrue, zoos make the money and where do they spend it? To make better facilities and better care for the animals. They do care whether the animals survive or not thats what a zoo is taking care of animals.

Fifth many animals do have that but it is all going to pay off, suppose yes you are stuck in a cage but how big would you make a facility. you can't make it miles long just for the animals where would all the other stuff in the world be? The zoos care for, feed and groom the animals.

Now for some of my points,
First there are approximetly 13014 school in CA, which means more then 20 times that amount in the world. In all those schools kids are learning about zoos and a handful of those schools have taken a field trip to one.

Second Zoos help animals survive if they were out in the wild they wouldn't last half as long as if they were kept in a zoo, Zoos keep the animals safe, feed them, care for them and look after them, would you get that in the wildlife?
padfo0t

Pro

First I will rebutt your points...

"To rebutt your points you admitted that zoos did help bald eagles even if it was a small portion it still helped the bald eagle meaning that it caused little but at least some effect so zoos help endangered species."
<<>>

"Second what about the 17% of people you forgot who look at the signs and educate themselves and others which I will adress later on in my argument."
<<>>

"Third, Yes half the world has not been in a zoo but what about the other half you are forgetting about them who do go to zoos and even if the poor or uninterested people didn't go enough people are learning about what is going on around the world and educate others."
<<>>

"Fourth, that is completly untrue, zoos make the money and where do they spend it? To make better facilities and better care for the animals. They do care whether the animals survive or not thats what a zoo is taking care of animals."
<<>>

"Fifth, many animals do have that but it is all going to pay off, suppose yes you are stuck in a cage but how big would you make a facility. you can't make it miles long just for the animals where would all the other stuff in the world be? The zoos care for, feed and groom the animals."
<<>>

Since when do kids learn about zoos in school?

It is better to live free and on your own(as a human) where you can get hurt than to live locked up in jail where there is no threat posed upon you. Tell me that that is not true. I dare you.

Last, you have not rebutted my point about zoos KILLING ANIMALS THAT NO LONGER ATTRACT VISITORS.(arg.1)

Please think about it as long as 3 days will let you:)
crazypenguin

Con

First I will refute your rebuttals

Zoos have better intentions then gaining money and bringing visitors because if they wanted to do that there are plenty other ways such as shops, selling stuff, advertising and things along those lines.

They actually will remember what the sign says. When you learn something in school do you forget it? If your mom tells you you have a flight the next week do you forget it? No that's why people don't either.

AND I will tell you the point that is clearly stated at least 3 times in my previous arguments ZOOS DO CARE ABOUT ANIMALS OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE CALLED A ZOO!! You say "What other business can you name that is not interested in making money, will go out of the way the make less money, and is Not a non-profit organization " Yes I agree with you but think about it if it is a profit organization then if it's making less money then it's earning how will it stay in business? The only way that could happen if it was non-profit. So that doesn't make any sense.

Have you ever gone on the tour ride around the zoo? If not the driver/announcer always tells facts about the animals, the people at the zoo are trying to inform you otherwise if they didn't care why would they try to tell you.

You admitted that they do spend the money for better facilities and that the crowd is now attracted making even more money for even better facilities which makes it a cycle!

I know because I have seen the animals been groomed and fed and cared for. Also giving drugs having nothing to do with this that is blowing the situation up. Animals are not being tortured like you said "drug that makes most of us die, but gives a small portion of us superpowers." And for the fifth time the ZOOS ARE NOT LETTING THOUSAND OF ANIMALS SUFFER JUST FOR MONEY they are keeping the animals safe while giving them a better life.

I am sorry that I didn't address your point about "Last, you have not rebutted my point about zoos KILLING ANIMALS THAT NO LONGER ATTRACT VISITORS.(arg.1)" I will address it now: Zoo's that no longer attract visitor send the animals back to the wild or to other zoos as a fact.

I do tell you that that is not true. Suppose there is a monster outside waiting to kill you now would you take the risk of going out and facing it with the resources you have or stay in a safe house...truthfully

Thank you,
Posted by dninja13 7 years ago
dninja13
When you start a debate like that, it makes me think that you are kind of being a suck up, crazypenguin.
Posted by hippy303 7 years ago
hippy303
ok
lets just say that Zoo are both bad and good.
they DO help protect Animals and they DO care for them.
so dont you DARE say they dont.
and about the balled egale, isnt ever the smallest bit make it all the better!!!
Posted by dninja13 8 years ago
dninja13
Hey, padfo0t, where did you get your info? (I voted for you!!!)
Posted by Tiger1245 9 years ago
Tiger1245
OVER HERE!!!
Zoos don't really educate people because the animals don't behave as they naturally do in the wild. In zoos the animals are fed. Some animals might be lonely too. Zoos also don't give as much as space to the animals so they are cramped and you guys get the point.
In my opinion zoos are bad as us. We wouldn't have to have zoos if us human beings stop cutting down the endangered species' habitat and cause soooooo much global warming. Most people agree with zoos. Sometimes the zoo officials say that the animals in the zoo are safe. But poachers get there somehow and kill or kidnap the animal.
Posted by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
I will now discontinue this side debate,
I won't be responding, cheerio!
Posted by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
Sorry, come again? I didn't quite understand the part about the thirteen-year-old dancing in leopard suit in front of a zoo.

P.S.
I like animals, don't get me wrong, and I have a hamster, three bird, 5 hermit crabs, a rabbit, 38 fish, and 3 mice.
I love them.
Posted by Capt.Herp 9 years ago
Capt.Herp
"I can't work yet silly...:)"

Then I don't think it was the wisest thing to do to tell me I needed to work at more zoos, do you?

MY zoos didn't kill animals that the public wasn't interested in. And to say that zoos don't care about their animals is insulting to all keepers around the globe. Keepers consider their charges to be THEIR animals, and they know them so well that any behavioral change is noted at once and dealt with. Most large zoos have state-of-the-art vet facilities onsite. Those aren't for show.

For a thirteen-year-old who believes the PETA members who dance around in leopard suits at zoo entrances holding signs that say "Animals don't belong in jail!" I think I'm willing to let you have a little more life experience and then try this subject again. As a keeper I took care of everything from elephants to rhinos to big cats to venomous reptiles (Herp is short for herpetology, the study of reptiles and amphibians). Additionally I went around the state of Arizona to schools with a truckload of animals, free of charge, to educate students about the environment.

I value wild places and wildlife. I also know that I wouldn't have become as interested in these things as a child if I hadn't had my interest stimulated by a great Curator at Steinhart Aquarium, who took the time to answer questions from an eight-year-old kid (me) and encourage my interests.

Most people who see no use for zoos other than as animal prisons have no experience WITHIN zoos at all. They just believe PETA newsclips. The closest many of them have been to wildlife is watching Animal Planet. And for them to turn around and say that zoos don't care about animals (and therefore, by extension, that keepers are merely disinterested jailers collecting a paycheck) is just not acceptable, sorry.

Cindela, my experiences TELL me what goes on behind the scenes at zoos. My vote will BE based on the debate, trust me.
Posted by crazypenguin 9 years ago
crazypenguin
Excuse me cindela but I think we have done quite well
Posted by Cindela 9 years ago
Cindela
Capt. Herp, what I believe my fellow debater is trying to say is, please don't vote based upon your own experiences. We all respect the fact that you have 35 years of experience with zoos. But don't let that stop you from voting for padfo0t. Just vote based upon the debate, not your experiences. I think that is what padfo0t is trying to say. I am sure he is not trying to write you off.

On another note, there was very little evidence presented in this debate. People, doing a little research is not hard. Go to google. Type in a keyword about your debate. INFO!!!!! Yay! For instance, crazypenguin did not cite any references, and neither did padfo0t. He only said statistics. He never said what they meant, and how they have to do with the debate. All in all, this debate was mostly opinions against opinions.
Posted by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
I can't work yet silly...:)
Vote Placed by bluepawn24 5 years ago
bluepawn24
padfo0tcrazypenguinTied
Reasons for voting decision: she was really conving
Vote Placed by moeinc 7 years ago
moeinc
padfo0tcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by haxandrew 7 years ago
haxandrew
padfo0tcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by Rockylightning 7 years ago
Rockylightning
padfo0tcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by dninja13 7 years ago
dninja13
padfo0tcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by padfo0t 7 years ago
padfo0t
padfo0tcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by MarcusMang 8 years ago
MarcusMang
padfo0tcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by Kleptin 8 years ago
Kleptin
padfo0tcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by sdcharger 8 years ago
sdcharger
padfo0tcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by crazypenguin 8 years ago
crazypenguin
padfo0tcrazypenguinTied