Yraelz
yhubin

Zoos do more harm than good.

Con Tied Pro

Yraelz

Con

This is an argument I'm going to face in coming days. The pro team will likely be constructing a case which I will have to refute. I'm really unsure what can be run on this though. So someone hit me with something interesting.
yhubin

Pro

the sad fact is, that when animals are kept in zoos, more the half the time the animals are living in poor conditions, unlike their natural habitat, this delegation things that the zoos cause more harm then good because they erase the instinct or survival of an animal once bread inside a zoo, after a while the animal will have to depend on humans, for food and shelter..
if the animals were to be freed, the animals would surly die within a short period if time

this delegation is strongly with the point that zoos do more harm the good
Yraelz

Con

Yraelz forfeited this round.
yhubin

Pro

as everybody, can see, my opponent here, either isn't taking the debate seriously or just cant respond, what more can i say
Yraelz

Con

Thank you for your response and sorry for the forfeited round.

Here are my contentions:

First. My opponent argues that Zoos erase the instincts for survival of an animal and thus they can't be re-introduced into the wild. I'm going to say that this isn't necessarily the case at all. Supporting this argument I'd point to some of the animals that were on extinctions doorway that have been saved by Zoos such as:

Black-footed ferrets
Przewalski's horses
Spix's macaws
California condors
Guam rails
Scimitar-horned oryx
Plains Bison

While it is occasionally the case that Zoos cannot save animals from extinction it is also often the case that they can. Ultimately though, I'd argue that trying to save them from extinction and failing is better than the alternative of not even trying.

Also I'd argue that the instincts my opponent speaks of are often genetically ingrained. Thousands generations of genetics are not usually reversed by a few generations contained in a new habitat.

Second, and far more important, is the fact that Zoos often create conservation projects. In fact there are over 460 conservation projects launched by Zoos world wide. These projects protect an animals natural habitat while never taking the animal itself into captivity. This is of a massive benefit because it means that those animals being protected never lose any amount of their instincts.

Third, Zoos attract nature fans and people interested in viewing animals. This is also of a massive benefits because it means that those people don't step into the wild habitats as often as they would otherwise. This in turn means less natural environment gets destroyed; less things like Forest Fires occur which also destroy large swaths of animals. Ultimately this also protects animal populations from becoming extinct.

Fourth, Zoos create a habitat in which animals can easily be researched. Not only does this help understand the animals and help them in their natural habitat but it also allows humans to find new diseases. Potentially this allows for new remedies and vaccines to be discovered against such diseases. Additionally I'd argue that many zoos also house plant populations. Study of these plants also has the potential to lead to cures for disease and viruses.

Fifth, Zoos employ people. In fact, a lot of zoos have received a higher turnout recently because of the recession. People often don't have enough money for long drawn out trips thus they end up going to zoos. Ergo people get paid, it stimulates the economy, and more money is given to the Zoos. The Zoos turn around and use this money to make the artificial habitats better. Additionally Zoos can use this money to fund more conservation projects.

Sixth, and finally, Zoos raise awareness. Through Zoos, and the education which they provide, people can often understand and emphasize with the plight of waning populations. My argument is that this can in turn lead to movements by the citizen population in order to preserve habitats. I'd point to events like the Rainforest conservation projects of South America which have spread across the United States. It's often tourists learning about the animal's environments being destroyed, via zoos, which spreads these kinds of movements.

Obviously all of my opponents responses will be new next round but I think that's probably only fair. Hope the rest of the debate goes well. Good luck!
yhubin

Pro

"The major problem with zoos is they put the entertainment value at a higher priority than the welfare or well-being of the animals," said Elliot Katz, president of In Defense of Animals, how can one, be excepted for the zoos to Fulfill their plans for the animals when they care more about the entertainment then the actual species,

what my opponent is trying to say explain (correct me if i am wrong) but that there are Labs and reserves where these animals are kept and then bread to make the breed survive..

We are brought up in a culture that says zoos are fun, but we should really be angry that these animals are taken out of their natural habitat so that people can gawk at them," she said. "This is done for profit, not education, and it's frustrating that the public doesn't get that. People can learn about wild animals by watching the excellent documentaries available on Discovery, Animal Planet and 'Wild Kingdom.' "

Zoos do not ware awareness as 50% of the people which go to zoos read the information the other 50 look at the animals and walk by.

i fail to recognize the continuance of this debate as my opponent has made the mistake of confusing a Zoo for a Lab or REserves.

I thank you for the very interesting Debate and i apologize for the brief round

God Bless

http://fishwars.blogspot.com...
Posted by yhubin 7 years ago
yhubin
Please people vote
Posted by Yraelz 7 years ago
Yraelz
No, actually it was completely open ended. I wanted to see where someone would take it.
Posted by yhubin 7 years ago
yhubin
Yes....
Posted by Goni 7 years ago
Goni
good to whom? to the animals?
Vote Placed by KingDebater 6 months ago
KingDebater
YraelzyhubinTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 2 years ago
Logical-Master
YraelzyhubinTied
Vote Placed by moeinc 6 years ago
moeinc
YraelzyhubinTied
Vote Placed by Yraelz 6 years ago
Yraelz
YraelzyhubinTied
Vote Placed by SaintNick 7 years ago
SaintNick
YraelzyhubinTied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
YraelzyhubinTied