a child should be able to speak just as freely as adults..

Well they should....

Hi Sophisticatedhonesty,

Thank you for the topic.
It is an interesting and no doubt important issue, and is something that is continuously discussed in classrooms all over the world.

Before we begin, I think we may need to clarify something:

When you say "just as freely", are you indicating that children should have the same right to free political and/or religious speech as adults?
Or are you speaking in a broader sense, including generous use of profanity?

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

i am saying that a child should be able to get whatever he/she has to say out how ever he/she has to say it...

Thanks for your reply.

I'm going to assume that you meant children should have complete freedom of speech, including any use of language typically deemed vulgar as they see fit. Here is why I do not believe that is the case:

As human beings, one of the things that distinguishes us from other animals is our highly developed skills of communication. And while this ability allows us to flourish, it can also be the cause of conflicts.

As we all know, words do not carry only meaning.
Depending on various factors such as the situation, intonation, and how that particular word is perceived in that culture, the intent behind the words can be delivered anywhere between subtly to blatantly.
Even if two phrases have the same meaning, how the listener perceives it can be greatly different from what the original speaker intended it to be.
This is why when we communicate with others, it is considered "appropriate" or "considerate" to be relatively careful with your words, so as not to offend, insult, or hurt others unintentionally.

The vocabulary a person uses can also be a standard that observers utilize to judge that individual's personality.
When someone uses aggressive language with a high ratio of profanity, the average person will typically deduce that this individual has an aggressive personality that could be difficult to deal with.
Remember, profanity is "profanity" only if that society considers it to be such.
By using vocabulary that society has agreed upon is inappropriate, one can give the impression that one does not approve of culturally imposed societal norms, which is quite likely what is most alluring to children and teenagers who hyper-engage in profanity use.
Such displays of disdain for societal norms and socially accepted behavior might be considered "cool" in certain circles, but if one is to be a productive and active participant in society, meaning if one would like to have a job, a family, and be socially approachable, one must show others through their behavior and speech that they are nice people, or at least someone others can work with.

Knowing what we do about the power of language and words, should we allow children to speak freely as we would allow adults?

It is true that here in the US, we believe independence, freedom of choice and personal accountability as more important than many other cultures do.
This applies not only to adults, but also in how we treat and raise children as well.
Here in the US, we believe that this leads to more creativity in children and therefore more innovative ideas that help propel the economy and science.

However, we also believe in the importance of education.
And part of that education that we wish to provide to our children is appropriate use of language, not only for their own sake but for the sake of society overall.
Adults are given free reign over their behavior, since they will be required to face the consequences if necessary.
But the same rule does not apply to children; we as a society have agreed that because children are not adults, they are not fully responsible for the consequences of their actions.
But with that agreement comes the idea that we as adults have an obligation to provide children with the education which will give them the ability to distinguish between what's appropriate behavior and what is not.
Of course, once they become adults, no one can dictate what they decided to do.

Now, in the US, "adult" is defined as being over 18.
That is quite arbitrary, and I am well aware of that.
There are many other countries where the definition is different, but in most cultures that have adopted the western educational system of 12 years of primary, secondary, and tertiary education, 18 is normally the age considered to be when a teenager become an adult.
So in all honesty, it is a bit strange to say that 17 year olds shouldn't be allowed to swear but when they turn 18 it's all of a sudden considered acceptable.
But that is what we have decided as a society, and if one does not find it favorable, then one should actively engage in politics and attempt to change the social attitude towards underage profanity use.

And of course, we can't really control what children say.
I myself remember a time when I was in middle school/high school, and it was cool to act tough and use profanity all the time.
And I still do use profanity, but only when I know it's okay to do so.
I will not be talking with business associates or clients and dropping the "f-word", but I will also not be talking business-like when I'm talking to my friends.
This applies to not just myself but to most people; everyone speaks differently to others depending on their relationship, and the settings in which the conversation is taking place.
And once children have learned enough to be able to distinguish this, or at least are expected to have learned, which is considered to be when they are 18, they will be socially free to speak as adults like the rest of us.

but is it or is it noot true that keeping a person from speaking their mind can hold back change or growth and development of rational and all logical thinking.The American Heritage Dictionary defines outspokenness as being, "Marked by frankness and lack of reserve." However, parents with outspoken children know there is more to their child then the ability to speak freely. The trait of being outspoken may often become the essence of a child's personality.

What is Outspoken?
"Outspoken children are generally those who feel they have all the answers to each and every question that is asked in their home, at school or with their friends," says Martha Pieper, co-author of Smart Love and columnist for Chicago Parent magazine. "These children tend to share what they know about any given subject with anyone who will listen, appropriately or not, without fear of consequence. Outspoken children may be described as bossy, a know it all, or even rude. As these things may be true descriptions, the terms should be avoided when talking to children about their outspokenness. Terms as these may tend to make children feel bad about themselves, which is not the result parents want."

Regardless of what parents may do to curb their child's outspokenness, these children may still speak their minds freely at the most inopportune times. "While discussing with a friend why I had my children at such a young age, I explained that they weren't actually planned -- they were accidents," says Lynn Rexroat, a mother of four "outspoken" children. "My oldest daughter had overheard the conversation. Now, whenever she feels the need, she repeats the story of how she was an accident."

Parents of outspoken children often find themselves in simple situations where they feel they are safe from any type of outspokenness. Generally, they're wrong. Rexroat learned that no situation is out of bounds for an outspoken child. "My son is small for his age but has never let his size keep him from doing whatever he wants to do," she says. "During a baseball game, the coach began to inform my son that he could not play catcher for various reasons. When my son disproved each of these reasons the coach then informed him that he could not play the position because he was not wearing an athletic cup. My son tried to convince him that indeed he was. When the coach didn't believe him, my son showed his determination by pulling his pants down to prove he was wearing his cup. He then said, 'Got anything else?' Needless to say, my son played catcher that game."

Outspokenness in children can begin at a very early age. However, once they begin to show the trait, parents can look forward to living with an outspoken child for a very long time. "My daughter is the most outspoken of my two children," says Crystal Cook, a mother from Knoxville, Tenn. "My daughter became a 'smarty-pants' almost as soon as she learned to talk. I suspected it even before then from her actions. She didn't want me to hand her the cup. She wanted to get it herself. Now, she simply has to be right all the time. She doesn't like to listen to any other opinions, and will generally tune out anyone trying to help her. Now that she's a preteen, it has escalated to almost unbearable proportions. She'd argue with me over the color of a tree's leaves. I'd say 'green'; she'd say, 'No, it's not green, it's emerald.'"

Dealing with an Outspoken Child
How does a parent deal with an outspoken child? According to Pieper, it takes consistency and patience. "When dealing with an outspoken child, a parent must learn patience, understanding and tolerance to a point. Boundaries must be set prior to any major outspokenness. Let the child know where these boundaries are and what the consequences will be if/when they are crossed. When the child begins to become rude, overly bossy or just plain mean, a parent must be willing to step in and let the child know they have crossed the line of their set boundaries and it is time to pay the consequences. Stressing consistence does not even begin to tell how important it is. A parent must be consistent with the boundaries that are set and not allow the child to 'talk' or 'deal' their way out."

Methods that work for one parent in curbing outspoken behavior may not work well for another. Michelle Smith, the mother of an outspoken 7-year-old, says, "My daughter has been attempting to monopolize the conversation since she began to talk. I try to talk to her about the way that she treats people and we read books about being bossy. I ask her how her behavior is like the character in the book and she answers all my questions 'correctly' but does not change her behavior. It is a constant battle. I try to keep my patience and not break her spirit as I attempt to guide her along the path to politeness and do my best not to shame her."

When Is It Appropriate Behavior?
"Parents must be careful not to stifle their child's voice," says Pieper. "Outspoken children may be offering a reflection of what we see and hear in today's society." These children may not be expressing what we want to hear, but outspoken children tend to be truthful with their comments, questions and answers. In addition, the trait of outspokenness should not be label as wrong. In some instances, the ability to speak -- and speak freely -- holds advantages all it's own.

"Outspokenness aids children in their ability to stand up for themselves, voice their choices and offer alternatives to things they do not agree with or feel right about doing or participating in," says Pieper. "For example, if a child is approached by someone who wants them to partake in inappropriate types of behavior, the child will be equipped with the skill to either voice their opinion about the situation or tell the other child how they truly feel about them and their behavior. In this situation, being outspoken is a benefit. However, if mom and dad are in financial trouble and junior decides to announce it at the family reunion, this behavior should be dealt with appropriately and immediately."

Whether informing their mother of the right way to cook dinner or telling the neighborhood children about family finances, an outspoken child offers parents a challenge they may never soon forget. Along with the challenge, the stories that are created by an outspoken child's actions make for great family tales. "When announcing to my oldest son that we were going to have a new baby, he became upset and said, 'That's just great Mom, now we'll never get nothing,'" says Rexroat. "And then he continued to offer me a half-hour lecture on why we could not afford to have another child. Maybe labeling my children as 'outspoken' is a little harsh. Let's just say that they are open-minded children who speak their mind very freely. Maybe there will be a famous lawyer or politician in my bunch. They know how to use their words, so why not let them become rich and famous for doing it?"

"What some consider as rude others may consider comical. It is all based on a person's perspective," says Pieper. "Parents should embrace their child's verbal skills and hope for the best. After all, an outspoken child may grow up to have outspoken children of their own. Then where will they go for advice?"

Imalittlepanda forfeited this round.
Posted by sophisticatedhonesty 3 years ago
i win bitch
Posted by THEVIRUS 3 years ago
Just saying, not having a fully developed brain doesn't matter. 5 year olds don't smoke, adults and some teens do. Also, SOME teens are smarter than SOME adults, so I don't think it matters. At least, it depends on the person, NOT the age
Posted by Imalittlepanda 3 years ago

That's a good point! It is very true that children are not capable of thinking above a certain level, and therefore could not be expected to exercise the same level of judgement that is expected of adults. I should have pointed that out. Good call :D
Posted by corey561 3 years ago
Brains in children haven't been completely developed yet, so it would not make sense to expect a child to make rational decisions.
Posted by bladerunner060 3 years ago
In what sense? The ability to simply spout off obscenities, or in the formulation of coherent, rational, respectful thoughts? The first is a right that adults have that children do not have by the nature of their dependent status in society...parents and educators restrict children's rights to speak that sort of thing due to their authority over them. The state (outside of the educational system) does not do so, and grants children the ability to speak "just as freely as adults". As regards to the expression of thoughts, children also have that right, but they do not have the right to do so without criticism; the nature of children's development makes it more likely that their reasoning is flawed and therefore their opinion is baseless, but that doesn't mean they can't say it.