moyalo
TeaPartyAtheist

abortion for raped teenagers

TeaPartyAtheist

moyalo

Pro

I think that raped teenagers need to focus on school and don't have time for a baby. Having a baby is a serious commitment that takes 9 months. The teenagers should focus on school, so they can go to a good college if they want to. They didn't mean for this to happen. The teen is unprepared and has never had a baby before. The teen's stress levels will go through the roof, which may cause depression. Then they will have to put up the child up for adoption, knowing that he may grow up without having any idea of who his father is,.
TeaPartyAtheist

Con

First of all, I want to thank my opponent for challenging me to this debate, and I am glad to accept. I want to point out that this debate specifically is asking whether or not teenage girls who are the victims of rape should have access to abortions. You may ask why the Con side would point that out, but I am doing that for a reason. First, I will argue that abortion is morally wrong; then, I will proceed to explain why the circumstances surrounding the girl's age and the rape are irrelevant to the morality of abortion. Later, I will refute your initial points, but I wanted to present mine first.

As soon as a sperm meets an egg, conception occurs, starting an irreversible journey through life. It is illogical to say that the fetus is not yet a baby due to its not being fully developed, as we change throughout our lives as well. For instance, a newborn is very different from an 11-year old, who is very different from a 18-year old, who is in turn very different from a 65-year old. Development occurs throughout our lives, not solely in the nine months of it that we spend in our mothers' wombs. How is it our right to determine how developed a person needs to be to qualify as a person? Some far-left activists are actually advocating the legalization of "post-birth abortion" in cases where an attempted abortion failed [1]. Is that acceptable? Any rational person would say no. However, that brings about the issue of when we are considered human. The answer is that there is no point in our development where we suddenly go from non-human to human. On the other hand, we are human from the point of conception. Finally, it also makes no sense to argue that the baby could not survive without its mother until 20 weeks, as it takes several years of life before one could truly survive on his or her own. Can we just pick an arbitrary age before which it is legal to kill someone? No. Then, why do we do that under the disguise of "freedom of choice"?

Furthermore, babies show vital signs of life very quickly after conception. Eighteen days after conception, a heartbeat is detectable, and brainwaves can be detected at 6 weeks [2]. Also, according to Maureen Condic, a neurobiologist at the University of Utah, the nervous system begins to develop at 4 weeks and is complete by 8 weeks [3]. Therefore, the baby can feel the pain of an abortion occurring. If statistics do not convince you, just Google pictures of a baby in the womb and tell me that it is not human. Therefore, clearly, life does begin at conception, thus making abortion and murder one in the same.

If we accept that abortion is murder and morally wrong, then, the other question to consider is whether those circumstances are changed by being a teenage girl who was raped. First of all, I want to point out that the age of the girl is irrelevant, as a teenager is fully capable of having a baby and raising it. Should she not want to raise the baby, adoption is always an option and a good solution to the abortion problem.

Secondly, we have to consider the situation around rape. I am the first to say that rape is a terrible thing that must not be allowed. However, the crime of rape is not justified by the crime of murder, which is what the Pro side is arguing should be legal. Killing the baby that results from the rape does nothing to avenge the crime. Now, I do sympathize with the girl who did nothing of her own accord, but still got pregnant. I have a solution for this problem, though. If a girl or woman gets pregnant as a result of a rape, an additional charge should be added to the rapist's charges. He would then have to pay the medical bills associated with the pregnancy and serve a longer term in jail for making the victim also go through a pregnancy. However, the baby itself is an innocent bystander in the crime, and it should not be given the death penalty for the rapist's actions.

Once again, I thank my opponent for this debate and look forward to seeing her argument.

SOURCES:
1. http://www.slate.com......
2. http://prolifeaction.org......
3. Http://www.Lifenews.Com......
moyalo

Pro

Abortion can be a terrible thing but in this certain situation where the teen is at high school and needs to get all her studies done to go to college. Nine months is practically a full school year. A full school year is tough without a pregnancy but with it the teen may have symptoms of depression. They may also have to cope with people at school talking about her. With abortion, the people from school don't see the pregnant body which is evidence of the rape. They won't think about the rape as much. They will see her as a normal person. The family will have to provide her with extra support. The student will have to walk around with all the extra weight that she didn't even want in the first place. She didn't mean to get pregnant so why should she be forced to carry around the rapist's baby
TeaPartyAtheist

Con

TeaPartyAtheist forfeited this round.
moyalo

Pro

moyalo forfeited this round.
TeaPartyAtheist

Con

You do raise some valid points pertaining to the psychological effects that a pregnancy could have on the girl. However, it is worth noting that the girl could continue to go to school while pregnant. Could there be a social stigma around being pregnant? Perhaps, but most people would be very understanding. However, there is no reason that being pregnant should distract the girl from learning, which is the main purpose of school. A few years ago, I had a teacher who was pregnant throughout the school year, but she was at school every day until the very day she went into labor. There is no reason that a student could not continue to learn while pregnant.

Your other point is that she and others will not think of the rape as much if she were to get an abortion and not be pregnant. She would not have to tell others the circumstances of her pregnancy if she did not want to. There are many methods that she could use to help cope with whatever emotional stress she may have as a result of a pregnancy.

In short, the situation is terrible. However, you did not reject my point that abortion is murder; you merely are arguing that it should be legal in the case of rape. Therefore, let me present you with an example: Sue is raped and decides that she does not want to have reminders of the rape, so she kills her rapist's son, an innocent bystander. Since abortion is murder, getting an abortion as a response to rape is the same as that scenario.

Vote Con!
Posted by TeaPartyAtheist 4 years ago
TeaPartyAtheist
I was challenged and did not notice that.
Posted by leojm 4 years ago
leojm
It's going to be a while till ya finish this debate. Kind like mine I accepted, it won't be done with voting till March of next year. :/
Vote Placed by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
moyaloTeaPartyAtheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had the most valid argument. Con back his arguments with sources as well.Both sides forfeited, no one receives the conduct point. Good luck to you both in future debates.
Vote Placed by leojm 4 years ago
leojm
moyaloTeaPartyAtheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had an over all the best argument, he used sources as well. Even though both sides FF at least Con got bk on track and finished the debate. Kudos to Con. Pro all I can say is stick with the debate. Thank you, this is all.
Vote Placed by PatriotPerson 4 years ago
PatriotPerson
moyaloTeaPartyAtheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Agreements tied, conduct tied because both FFed. S&G tied because both was fine, arguments to Con because his were longer and made more sense, and Con made some points that Pro failed to address/counter. Sources to Con because he gave some.