markeice_patrick
zmikecuber

abortion is ok depending on the situation

zmikecuber

markeice_patrick

Pro

people rant about how abortion is so wrong, but I feel that they are not looking at it from every angle. abortion is wrong to certain existent.
zmikecuber

Con

I accept. Pro shall have the BoP to show that abortion is morally permissable in certain situations.

Unfortunately, my opponent has not clarified what he means by "situation." What situations is he talking about?

My opponent also simply states his own opinion, and commits a bare assertion fallacy. (1)

My opponent provides no explanation, nor defense for this position. He must clarify which situations abortion is morally allowable, and why.

Until he does so, the resolution remains unaffirmed.

Thank you

(1) http://www.toolkitforthinking.com...
markeice_patrick

Pro

I apologize, I honestly didn't think anyone would take this up :) , first time on, but here goes :)

but, one particular situation I am talking about is rape.....

a woman who is raped and impregnated shouldn't be forced to have that baby.

rape is a traumatic and horrible experience for any woman to have. by having the baby, not only is she carrying the child of the rapist, but she must bare the memory as well. now the question to abort the baby is a difficult issue, also I am a man and do not fully understand the emotions of a woman who have been raped, it goes without saying she shouldn't have a living breathing reminder of that experience.

we all know that it isn't the babies fault that it was brought into the world by these circumstances, but a woman has a right to be physically and emotionally secure.

with that being said many will argue that the child shouldn't have to pay for the sins of the rapist, but no one should have to raise a child born from an unfortunate event like that.
zmikecuber

Con

It seems that my opponent admits that abortion is the killing of a human person.

However, he brings up the scenario of rape, claiming "by having the baby, not only is she carrying the child of the rapist, but she must bare the memory as well."

Now rape is a touchy subject, but bear with me.

Unfounded utilitarianism
My opponent assumes that utilitarianism is a valid form of morality. Unfortunately, this is simply an assumption, and has no basis. Do the ends justify the means? My opponent has not shown this to be the case, and many people would disagree with him. Why should we accept this morality over other forms of morality?

Subjective ideas of "better"
But, for the sake of argument, let's pretend utilitarianism is the correct source of morality. Unfortunately, my opponent simply assumes that a woman's right to "be physically and emotionally secure" trumps the innocent baby's right to life. Many people would say that an innocent person's right to life is the most important right, above any other rights.

Unfortunately, my opponent's assumptions that the right to physical and emotional security override an innocent person's right to life, are simply unfounded.

Another scenario
Let's imagine that a mother is, for some reason, unable to have an abortion after being raped. The baby is born, and grows up into a young boy. Now, is it "ok" for the young boy to be killed? An argument could be made that this boy is a living, breathing reminder of the horrible rape. If my opponent will accept the morality of killing a person inside of the womb due to rape, he should also accept the morality of killing a person outside of the womb due to rape.

In conclusion
Now I would like to clarify: I believe that anything that can be done to help the mother emotionally and physically heal after a rape, should be done. Unfortunately, I must draw the line at morality.

Something inside of us cries against this position, even if we try to rationalize it away. We know that killing an innocent human being is always wrong.

Finally, after a rape scenario, what a woman primarily needs is love and a restoration of that dignity which has been so horribly snatched away from her; not an abortion.
markeice_patrick

Pro

I can honestly say I don't have a response this :), I apologize that I wasn't a formidable challenge for you, but I did learn from this experience and thank you for your time :)
zmikecuber

Con

I appreciate your concession! :) Have a great day!
Posted by zmikecuber 3 years ago
zmikecuber
LOL. Yes, I probably shouldn't have done that... I think he'll lose interest pretty quickly though, and go back to trolling other sites. Is that the first time you've been on the home page?
Posted by Jonbonbon 3 years ago
Jonbonbon
Except for when you brought in that invisibledeity guy :P well, I guess I'm on the front page of DDO, and I'm winning. So it's not all bad.
Posted by zmikecuber 3 years ago
zmikecuber
Maybe because I'm sooo fabulous! :D ;P haha
Posted by Jonbonbon 3 years ago
Jonbonbon
Why do I get the feel zmikecuber is gonna win...
Vote Placed by jdtroughton 3 years ago
jdtroughton
markeice_patrickzmikecuberTied
Reasons for voting decision: Morality is relative, so right off the bat, Pro wins. Con's use of jargon was more off-putting than it was constructive toward his point. "Something inside of us knows it's wrong" is the most unfounded, subjective kind of statement. Something in my just knows that not all situations require the same solution, that morality is relative, and that some cases justify abortion. Bad form, and using the same fallacies as he criticized, as well as not actually amounting anything resembling an argument, it's gotta go to pro.
Vote Placed by saboosa 3 years ago
saboosa
markeice_patrickzmikecuberTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con wins
Vote Placed by ambivalentsoul 3 years ago
ambivalentsoul
markeice_patrickzmikecuberTied
Reasons for voting decision: .
Vote Placed by johnlubba 3 years ago
johnlubba
markeice_patrickzmikecuberTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession