abortion is wrong

I am against abortion. I am against abortion because if a man is drunk and he drove and ran a stop light and hit a pregnant woman he would get charged for two murders but if a woman gets pregnant and chooses to not have that child she does not get charged with a murder and it is her fault if she gets pregnant but there is a flaw here is she gets raped then she could have the child but put it in a orphanage rather than not letting the kid have a chance to cure cancer or aids or other diseases like that.

abortion-the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first 28 weeks of pregnancy.

murder-the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

pregnant-having a child or young developing in the uterus.

rape-the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.

I will accept the open challenge to debate PRO on the issue of abortion.

I will be CON to the claim that abortion is wrong.

I will consider this my accepting statement, and give PRO the floor to make his case as to why abortion is wrong.

Good luck and thank you for allowing me to accept this challenge.

I suppose I'll take your opening statements as your first argument, since you aren't responding.

First, we must acknowledge that neither science, nor religion, can come to an ultimate consensus as to when exactly a fetus becomes a human being.

There are some religions that claim a soul enters the embryo at conception, (a claim of which is unprovable and untestable). This concept followed to a logical conclusion fails to make sense, however.

While some reasonably claim that it is when the heart begins to beat, or the brain begins to show activity, or perhaps when the child could survive on its own without the mother"s life support system.

Some, (although a minority) claim that it"s even up until the birth of the child. Claiming no celebrates "conception day" but a "birthday".

It is true that if someone kills a woman intending to have a child, then it is counted as a double homicide, (or in your description, vehicular manslaughter).

However, there are two important factors to keep in mind:

1.Our laws are not up to date with our rapid moral progress and scientific understanding. Up until a few years ago it was illegal for homosexuals to even have sex in some states, much less get married. Up until a few decades ago women didn"t have the right to vote or serve in the military. And just a little over a century ago, African Americans only counted as 1/5 of a person, and were held as property. Although it is a valid point that killing a woman in any stage of pregnancy is considered a double homicide, this might be a law that needs changing.

2.Killing the unborn child of a woman who had EVERY INTENTION of giving birth is considered murder because of the autonomous rights of the mother. The wrong-doing was the violation of her personal human rights, and the denying of her expectations of a child. This understanding should simultaneously support the mothers rights to terminate the pregnancy if she so chose.

It is also true that federal law says that abortions are legal because of Roe v. Wade in 1973. If we are going to use the law to influence our decisions, I suppose I"d claim that this Supreme Court case will trump any other law that might be used to counter my arguments. Laws don"t influence the people, as the people change they influence the laws.

Here"s something interesting to think about, before I give the floor back to PRO.

If abortions were again made illegal, women would have fewer rights than corpses.

On my driver"s license, there"s a small hologram imagine that reads "organ donor" on the corner. If I didn"t check that box on the form when I applied for my license, there"s no legal way that any entity could harvest my organs.

This is our understanding of "personal autonomy".

This is the acknowledgement that every human being has a right to decide what they want to do with their body EVEN AFTER THEY DIE. That means even if my heart, lungs, and liver could each save one person, no one could touch my body. My remains would go to waste and I would have denied 3 people life-saving operations.

It is unacceptable that when someone has been medically and legally considered dead, he or she's still has more rights than a pregnant woman.

I give the floor back to PRO, who will now bring new arguments to defend his point, and may counter my arguments as well.

Thanks for reading, and good luck.

conradcaputo forfeited this round.

My opponent forfeited this round, if you're planning on voting you know what to do. If anyone would like to have a friendly discussion regarding any relating topics with me in the comments section, feel free!

conradcaputo forfeited this round.

Another round gone, vote for the one still participating, please, ladies and gentlemen.

conradcaputo forfeited this round.

Round 5 - No Contest
Posted by TrustmeImlying 2 years ago

I'm completely pro-choice, and whatever the Bible or anyone else says, it's not murder. plain and simple.

You're appealing to emotion and trying to evoke a sense of empathy in us to agree with you. If you believe this to be true, you're absolutely free to exercise that belief. Science and legislation do not, however. And luckily we don't base our laws around antiquated iron age books anymore. As much as you'd like to think it's fact, it isn't. As far as we understand it today it's your opinion, (which is shared by many, granted) that abortion is murder.

If you wish, you could educate yourself on the video you mentioned, rather than run with the propaganda it puts forth as truth. If you do decide to investigate this "film" further, you might find that what you've been taught about it is highly deceptive and used to manipulate people (by appeals of emotion) into believing that abortions are somehow murdering an innocent baby while it fights for its life. This is, fortunately, not the case.

Your "facts" about when fetuses develop certain functions and their sensory awareness is incorrect. I hope you'll look up this information as well so you can reevaluate why it is you believe abortions to be wrong.
Posted by smiling4U 2 years ago
I'm completely pro-life. Whatever the government or anyone else says, Its murder, plain and simple.

A man named Dr. Nathanson took a video of a woman having an abortion (The silent scream), which shows the unborn baby in the womb, thrashing about, trying to avoid the suction device which is tearing off its head. Viewers saw the child opening its mouth, trying to scream. They saw the baby dismembered, its head crushed, as it was sucked out of the womb.

Babies in the womb can feel pain. They develop their full nerve system by the time they are between 8 and 16 weeks old.
At 8 weeks old, the baby is FULLY developed. He has a heartbeat, organs, limbs, and his own singular fingerprints!
He can frown, grimace, pee, and even suck his thumb. It is a FACT that he is NOT just a bunch of cells, but a living, breathing, moving HUMAN BEING!
And termination (abortion) of this baby, is in actual fact, murder.

How can you know abortion causes the baby so much pain and still believe that its right?
Go to you tube and watch The Silent Scream. Its a graphic video of an abortion. If you watch that, I'm sure you'll agree that abortion is wrong.
Posted by TrustmeImlying 2 years ago
Thanks for the votes! Sorry it wasn't more interesting...
Posted by ElizabethAnneHall 2 years ago
Abortion is wrong . Nobody not even the mother has the right to end a potential
life . I am pro-life all the way . I also agree with the statement that if someone kills a pregnet woman no matter at what stage of pregnancy they will be charged with 2 counts of murder and so the mother should not be able to murder the baby with no consequences . Anyone want to disagree , feel free to .
Posted by Oshun 2 years ago
It should be a woman's choice to compromise her body or not to. The man who hit the pregnant woman is not the one carrying the baby and not the one responsible for what happens to that child, even if the child is adopted.
Posted by TrustmeImlying 2 years ago
You posted "thanks?" as your entire first argument. Was that an accident, or should we continue without you having made an argument at all?
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made the strangest opening argument I've ever seen, and then refrained from making any further arguments. Con made actual arguments, thus arguments go to Con. Conduct to Con too for Pro's forfeits.
Vote Placed by Seeginomikata 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Complete forfeit, no contest.