abortion right or wrong

Nearly all abortions take place in the first trimester, when a fetus cannot exist independent of the mother. As it is attached by the placenta and umbilical cord, its health is dependent on her health, and cannot be regarded as a separate entity as it cannot exist outside her womb.

The concept of person hood is different from the concept of human life. Human life occurs at conception, but fertilized eggs used for in vitro fertilization are also human lives and those not implanted are routinely thrown away. Is this murder, and if not, then how is abortion murder?

Adoption is not an alternative to abortion, because it remains the woman's choice whether or not to give her child up for adoption. Statistics show that very few women who give birth choose to give up their babies - less than 3% of white unmarried women and less than 2% of black unmarried women.

Abortion is a safe medical procedure. The vast majority of women - 88% - who have an abortion do so in their first trimester. Medical abortions have less than 0.5% risk of serious complications and do not affect a woman's health or future ability to become pregnant or give birth.

In the case of rape or incest, forcing a woman made pregnant by this violent act would cause further psychological harm to the victim. Often a woman is too afraid to speak up or is unaware she is pregnant, thus the morning after pill is ineffective in these situations.

Abortion is not used as a form of contraception. Pregnancy can occur even with responsible contraceptive use. Only 8% of women who have abortions do not use any form of birth control, and that is due more to individual carelessness than to the availability of abortion.

The ability of a woman to have control of her body is critical to civil rights. Take away her reproductive choice and you step onto a slippery slope. If the government can force a woman to continue a pregnancy, what about forcing a woman to use contraception or undergo sterilization?

Taxpayer dollars are used to enable poor women to access the same medical services as rich women, and abortion is one of these services. Funding abortion is no different from funding a war in the Mideast. For those who are opposed, the place to express outrage is in the voting booth.

Teenagers who become mothers have grim prospects for the future. They are much more likely to leave of school; receive inadequate prenatal care; rely on public assistance to raise a child; develop health problems; or end up divorced.

Like any other difficult situation, abortion creates stress. Yet the American Psychological Association found that stress was greatest prior to an abortion, and that there was no evidence of post-abortion syndrome.

Has abortion become a modern life casualty? There may be many "yes" and equal number of "no", voicing their opinion over this, thus strengthening the arguments revolving around this issue. The fact of the matter is that most of the statistics concerning abortion do not depict a satisfactory picture. In fact, abortion has always been a heated subject amongst the masses as people have their own school of thoughts regarding it.

That being said, there are many laws governing the legality of this issue. While in as much as 30 countries, abortion is legalized, remaining countries have partial restrictions or complete ban on abortion, unless life of the mother is at stake. You would be surprised to know that abortion caused due to rape and other health complications account to nearly 7%, while the remaining cases of abortion are primarily a result of personal and social issues. It"s interesting to learn the pros and cons of abortion as it offers us a great insight about this issue. Let"s move on to the pros and cons of abortion.
abortion pros:
-Sometimes life can be really harsh on us. There are times when abortion may appear as the only option for the betterment. Although a mother may have a hard time opting for this option, she may eventually consider this soul-killing decision, keeping in mind all the pros and cons of this decision.

-At the end of the day, a mother has to go through the actual labor pain and other issues involved with parenting and juggling responsibilities. Others can"t precisely gauge or understand the level of trauma that a woman may be experiencing in her personal life. She is the only person who knows best, if she would be able to take care of the unplanned child or not. We all know that it"s merely impossible to raise a child without family support and finance in hand. To a great extent, the life of the baby depends upon the mother"s health.

-In some cases, medical emergencies compel a woman to resort to this action. There is a possibility that her own life might be at risk, if she delivers the child.

-Some of the rape victims can be minors. They wouldn't"t be mentally or physically prepared to take care of the newborn baby. Why should such victims go through the ordeal of bearing a child, which is a product of some unfortunate incident of their life?

-Technologies have enabled disease detection amongst unborn babies. Giving life to an unhealthy baby and watching it suffer all day and night can be highly jeopardizing for the family as well as the newborn child.

-Can a woman be forced to produce a life? Giving life to an unwanted child might invite world of troubles for both mother and the child. So, are we being fair to the child?

Whether you agree or not, abortion will always play an active role in our society. In the US itself, more than 4000 cases of abortion are reported on daily basis. While for one, abortion can be a highly miserable experience, to the other, having a forced child can be a highly miserable experience. It"s impossible to go by a rule book, when it comes to dealing with an issue, where human lives are at stake. At the end of the day, a mother has every right to decide the next move of her life!

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate.

I would like to first note the majority of his argument is irrelevant—it argues for the practicality of abortion, not the ethics. The resolution asks the question “is abortion right or wrong”, and ethical question. Although his argument will be responded to, I would ask voters to put more of a weight on moral arguments (in this case, his “first trimester” point, and my case will be mainly ethics).

1. My opponent first argues the first trimester argument; an argument saying a fetus is not morally equivalent to a human. This argument will be refuted in my case.

2. My opponents second point, arguing a fetus is not developed enough to be a person but is a human, shall also be refuted in my case.

3. Actually, millions of parents want to adopt, and most children get adopted in the USA. The amount of parents owning an adopted child was cut in half after Roe v Wade, not because of parents not wanting children, but there not being enough children. If abortion were to be banned, adoption would be another option. Further, there are anti-abortion pregnancy crisis centers that give counseling and financial support to people with unwanted children. All of these alternatives could sustain abortion [1].

4. Interestingly, legalized abortion has done little to improve abortion, and gynecologists have found the margin of error is actually fairly high. Even if we accept my opponent’s argument, many affects can be detected later. Many studies have found an abortion-breast cancer link. One famous abortionist—who works in my town (side note: his wife is being sued because one of her abortion patients died) has admitted all late and second trimester abortions will likely experience one complication. And first trimester abortions increase cancer risks (as stated). Saying abortion is safe is a leap of faith [2].

5. As I will explain in my case, a fetus is a human is morally equivalent to fully grown humans. So, now, I give this analogy: lets say a rape victim gets pregnant, and has the baby. Four years later, she hates the baby and has depression. Should she be allowed to abort the baby? No. If the right to life is proven (as I will prove in my case) rape should be no exception to abortion [3].

6. My opponent under contraception has essentially argued killing a human is moral because a woman has made careless mistakes…

7. My opponent has argued the slippery slope fallacy. I am opposed to abortion but have no opinion on contraceptive rights. Ireland has banned abortion but contraception is illegal. Further, the Roe v. Wade court case was not founded on the constitution, they merely assumed it a 9th amendment right (which is debateable [4]).

8. Abortion should not be a state sanctioned procedure, as it promotes murder. War should only be perused if there is no other option, my opponents analogy actually proves my point that abortion should be a restricted procedure.

9. See point 3.

10. On many issues, the APA have distorted facts and misquoted studies. The largest most credible studies have shows 2% of women with an abortion have post abortion syndrome. And a large other percentage obtains other disorders, and the majority exhibit some regret over their actions [5].

11. Public opinion is irrelevant.

12. In my opponents pro and con section, he says many women still support their decision. I agree, many do, however I have given proof that the vast majority of them exhibit some regret.

13. Yes, a women has to bear the baby for 9 months. This has little to do whether or not abortion is justified. A fetus, scientifically, is a different person from its mother a few days after conception.

14. Abortion is justified to save the mothers life; everyone agrees on that.

15. Interestingly, doctors have noted “it has been my constant experience that [child] disability and unhappiness do not necessarily go together.” And, instead of giving a personal experience with a child that was like this, I will give an empirical point as personal stories aren’t always 100% accurate “Many parents have aborted their babies because doctors told them that their children would be severely handicapped. Others I have met were told the same thing, but chose to let their babies live. These parents were then amazed to give birth to normal children.”[6]

16. Are we being fair to the child by killing it? Interestingly, basic statistics and many academic studies show abortion increases child abuse. Allowing babies to get aborted actually degrades the social view that children should be protected, increasing abuse rates [7].

17. The availability of abortion does not make an action right or wrong.

It is an undeniable fact a fetus is a human, from the first moment of conception [8]. The question is simple, is a fetus morally equal to a human. If yes, then I win this debate, and killing it would be wrong. If not, my opponent can win. However, my opponent did not touch upon the subject, he merely stated there is a difference. And I agree, however do these differences disqualify a fetus? No. I shall explain:

Size: Irrelevant to ones value as a person, size has no moral bearing on personhood

Level of development: Being less developed does not make someone less valuable. If this were true, people with mental disabilities would have less value (morally) then a “normal” person.

Environment: Where you are is irrelevant to moral worth.

Dependency: Irrelevant. Are the elderly, disabled, mentally disabled people inherently worth less? Not at all.

These are the only differences from a fetus and a human. My argument goes as follows:

P1: It is prima facie immoral to kill a human being.
P2: Abortion kills a human being.
C1: Therefore, abortion is prima facie immoral. (wrong).[9]

As Clinton Wilcox, a DDO member (Keytar Hero) writes on his blog, “Human beings are uniquely valuable based on the kind of thing they are, humans (that is, members of species Homo Sapiens). I do not mean that humans are valuable simply for being human (as opposed to being a dog, cat, etc.). But human beings are valuable due to their inherent nature as rational, moral agents. The burden of proof must always be on the one wishing to take human life. ... The only thing we all have in common that makes it as wrong to kill one human as to kill another is our common humanity. Ergo, it is unjustified to kill someone without provocation.”[9]

Due to the fact science supports the idea that a fetus is a human, the fetuses ability to become a rational agent makes it’s killing unjustifiable. We are the only beings (that we know of) that are inherently rational agents, killing such a life form would be immoral, and therefore “wrong”.

I will give the more common argument:

Let me do a more proper defense of the argument:

1. This premise has already been defended; the humans inherent capability for rational thought. Although babies are not rational being yet, they have a capability to become such a thing, so is a fetus. Killing an underdeveloped person or a baby is considered immoral, killing a fetus should also be considered immoral. See the quote from Clinton Wilcox for the full defense.

2. Abortion kills a human being, as NARAL (an abortion advocacy group) admits, “There is simply no doubt that even the early embryo is a human being. All its genetic coding and all its features are indisputably human. As to being, there is no doubt that it exists, is alive, is self-directed, and is not the same being as the mother–and is therefore a unified whole.”[8]

C. If premise one holds true, which I have proven it does, and point two is agreed upon by my opponent (it has, my opponent stated “Human life occurs at conception”) then the point holds true. Abortion is immoral, “wrong”, and the rape justification does not hold up. Only to save the life of the mother, saving one life is better than none. My opponents argument has crumbled, and I have proven abortion is “wrong”, winning the debate.

Posted by 16kadams 3 years ago
Wiploc, I didn't vote on my debate. I don't understand your RFD, it should have been counter young brain
Vote Placed by The_Master_Riddler 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: con had better arguments and pro made it one round
Vote Placed by wiploc 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Counter 16kAdams
Vote Placed by YoungBrain 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con had the most logical argument
Vote Placed by Wishing4Winter 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: 16kadams was able to effectively demonstrate that abortion was prima facie wrong and refute all of Pro's claims
Vote Placed by 1Historygenius 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Why would anyone want a one round debate? Easy vote. Con proved abortion is killing a human life and proved that abortion is immoral.