abortion should be illegal in the first trimester, but not investigated nor punished*

*aside from rape and mother's health, abortion should be illegal in the first trimester, but not investigated nor punished.

given there are no legal consequences involved, these are more about arguments on principle.

abortion should be illegal, because we should recognize that we should be giving the benefit of the doubt to human life. it is clear enough that we should outlaw it, but not clear enough that we should be punishing them. for example, to establish the uncertainty, note that a snowball is not a snow man, and a lego is not lego man. same could be argued for the cell in early pregnancy. at what point does a lego or snowball become the corresponding man? it's unclear there, as it could be said to be with personhood. but, on the other hand, the earliest cell does meet the requirements for what would constitute an 'organism', albeit it would probably be viewed as more like a parasitic organism given it must live off of the mother. and it's not like every other cell, given not every other cell can grow into a person. the pro and con about human life here are enough to say in principle we should defer to human life, but not clear enough to make any meaningful punishments for it.
human life is such a strong factor to be weighed, that it is not unreasonable for a person to be against abortion, and want to punish so as to deter and for justice's sake. but, i would not go that far. i would take that same reasoning, though, and argue that it's such a strong consideration, that it should at least be illegal, albeit with no legal consequences.
and the last reason it should be illegal in principal, is because the mother assumed the risk of pregnancy. having sex is something that can result in pregnancy. it's not like it just happened, getting pregnant, out of no where.
another reason why we shouldn't punish is deferment. while we are deferring to human life, we are respecting the autonomy of the woman involved. given there is uncertainty, who should decide? should the government decide? why not give the autonomy to decide to the person most affected by it, the mother?
plus,there are uncertainties involved, but there are other considerations as well. while the mother assumed the risk of pregnancy, she may have tried her best not to get pregnant, and got pregnant anyways. things happen, plus she has a lot of other things to consider like making sure she can hold down a job, or continue in school. or maybe she's poor and doesn't want to bring another kid into the mix. the common arguments in favor of abortion should be used here, as holistic approach to why she should be able to decide given the various moral considerations involved. but again, this stuff is just sufficient so as to not make legal consequences for the abortion, but not enough to make it legal.

Abortion is one of these hard topics to discuss but being the controversial person I am, I will take you on.

Abortion should be perfectly legal. I'll give you some examples why it should:

For example: Let's say someone was raped and they didn't want a baby but now they're pregnant. She had no choice to be burdened with this baby so why should she stay burdened by it with the constant bathroom breaks, the morning sickness etc.?

Another example would be if the condom split during the act. She didn't want the child so why should she?

If you're against or for abortions like me, nobody wants more abortions. Abortion should be an option for those who got pregnant without wanting to especially if it was an accidental condom split or the pill fails her.

If you want to have a baby by all means proceed! If you don't, the safest way to do it is don't. Remember: Whatever side of the fence you're on, nobody wants more abortions. We just think it should be an option if somebody gets pregnant without wanting to and especially if it was forced on her (rape)

i already made an exception for your rape example.

condom breaking. she assumed the risk the condom would break. sexual intercourse naturally leads to the possibility of pregnancy. we can take the issue into consideration, and not punish her for it. but it's still a culpable act, in principle.

"If you want to have a baby by all means proceed! If you don't, the safest way to do it is don't."

you seem to be pretty much admitting that if you don't want to risk pregnancy, you can't do it. (or at the least take the most surest fire approach. bill control pill, a condom, and pull out. almost no one goes to this degree, but they could, which shows some degree of culpability. but even that has risks in theory, so my other arguments stand. )

You are beyond twisting my words. You're just about mutilating them. I said the safest way to do it is don't because that truly is the safest way but I am by NO WAY saying that a couple can't have sex if they don't want a baby, when did I even remotely say that? Did you even read what I written? I just said it was the best option. Is it the only option? No. If you want to knock her up go ahead! Better to be safe than sorry right?
Then again I wasn't even talking about the risk of pregnancy from having sexual intercourse. I was clearly on about IF she got pregnant without wanting to. Notice the "if" in there. If she wants to do it that's all right! I am in no way against a couple pleasuring each other.
So let's bring this debate back to the subject which is about the abortion law shall we? This debate has sort of skewed on way. So now why not we look at the law side of things next?

"This debate has sort of skewed on way. So now why not we look at the law side of things next?"

i'm not sure what you are asking for. we are already discussing why or why not the law should be the way i contend.

people are free to enjoy themselves and do whatever they want. but when it comes to potentially harming a putative someone else, it becomes an issue for society. one's rights end where another's begins. for all the reasons i stated above, we treated that putative someone as a person, but recognize the various factors in consideration, and not punish. for all the reasons i stated above, we to defer to that putative person as a person, because there's too many compelling reasons not to.... but we don't punish because there's so many compelling counter factors looking at the totality.

Sorry, I meant to write "One" not "on". That's tablets for you. But anyways, the first trimester is the best time to abort the pregnancy as all the embryo is at this point is a ball of stem cells. It isn't it's own life yet and the embryo wouldn't be concious until it developed a brain which happens later into the pregnancy. Aborting now is the perfect time to do so because of that. You're not ending a life at this point to suit yourself, all you're doing is preventing your pregnancy and

Then again how can something be illegal if you don't get punished for being caught doing it? The whole title makes no sense in this case. It would be the same way if it was legal. Maybe you're on about having doctors give permissions for abortions? Is that what you mean? If so, that's one way it can be done. Otherwise, I can't think about anything else because there isn't really a law in this hypothetical scenario that actually prevents on demand abortions as this isn't investigated nor punished. There has to be a sanction for breaking a law whether that's a fine or a prison sentence. The whole question makes no sense!
Posted by 16kadams 2 years ago
... So why ban it with no punishment?
Posted by thenoob 2 years ago
Uh, if it's illegal but has no punishment, then it isn't illegal. I would say a court would strike that law down.
Posted by agennarelli 2 years ago
Maybe I just misunderstood what you're trying to say.
Posted by agennarelli 2 years ago
Would you mind going into a little more detail about why it should only be illegal in the first trimester?