abortion should be illegalized
Debate Rounds (3)
1 It is illegal to kill someone
2 once the fetus has a heart beat it is alive
3 use adoption as an alternate
2.The concept of personhood is different from the concept of human life. Human life occurs at conception, but fertilized eggs used for in vitro fertilization are also human lives and those not implanted are routinely thrown away. Is this murder, and if not, then how is abortion murder?
3.Adoption is not an alternative to abortion, because it remains the woman's choice whether or not to give her child up for adoption. Statistics show that very few women who give birth choose to give up their babies - less than 3% of white unmarried women and less than 2% of black unmarried women.
4.Abortion is a safe medical procedure. The vast majority of women - 88% - who have an abortion do so in their first trimester. Medical abortions have less than 0.5% risk of serious complications and do not affect a woman's health or future ability to become pregnant or give birth.
5.In the case of rape or incest, forcing a woman made pregnant by this violent act would cause further psychological harm to the victim. Often a woman is too afraid to speak up or is unaware she is pregnant, thus the morning after pill is ineffective in these situations.
6.Abortion is not used as a form of contraception. Pregnancy can occur even with responsible contraceptive use. Only 8% of women who have abortions do not use any form of birth control, and that is due more to individual carelessness than to the availability of abortion.
7.The ability of a woman to have control of her body is critical to civil rights. Take away her reproductive choice and you step onto a slippery slope. If the government can force a woman to continue a pregnancy, what about forcing a woman to use contraception or undergo sterilization?
8.Taxpayer dollars are used to enable poor women to access the same medical services as rich women, and abortion is one of these services. Funding abortion is no different from funding a war in the Mideast. For those who are opposed, the place to express outrage is in the voting booth.
9.Teenagers who become mothers have grim prospects for the future. They are much more likely to leave of school; receive inadequate prenatal care; rely on public assistance to raise a child; develop health problems; or end up divorced.
10.Like any other difficult situation, abortion creates stress. Yet the American Psychological Association found that stress was greatest prior to an abortion, and that there was no evidence of post-abortion syndrome.
[mod note, assertion of plagiarism has been made here]
1. am I not right when I say something has to have a heart beat for it to be alive
2. two is same as #1
3. that is because the people have been menipulated, imagain this where would we be today if IKE or Washington had been aborted. We'd be a monarchy or a communist country. what would happen if you had been aborted
4, 5, 6. you can get an abortion if it isn't 2 mounths/ heart beat age
8. There you said it yourself we could do other things if abortion is illegal.
9. 9 goes with 4-6
10. I have burdon of persumtion so untill you proove there is no evidensce for PAS then there is
lespinoza001 forfeited this round.
Reponses to your arguments, and using articles as research is not bad.
1. It might be illegal according to you, but our government still promotes the death penalty which means that under our countries standards, it is legal for people to kill under certain conditions.
2. Scientists have developed artificial hearts, and although the heart develops first in a fetus, if it doesn't have a mind of its own then it doesn't have a conscious, which means that it's not alive as it cannot think on itself.
3. Thousands of children are in orphanages and adoption agencies, the chances of every child ever being adopted by a good family are extremely low, and the chances are diminished further when you put in the fact that more children are created than are adults to take care of them.
4. Using your resources is promoted in the classroom, and the website doesn't make it clear that you're not suppose to use anything but your mind.
1. I have the burden of presumption, which is too assume that the status quo right now is working, and I believe that giving soon to be mothers the choice of an abortion is good, it is a free country after and the separation of state and church prevents you from placing your religion based opinion on a matter that affects an entire nation.
2. The system that is in place solves for mothers that don't want their children, and for those that do. They have the choice to do as they please.
You should have the option to do whatever you like, and other than the fact that the affirmative is clinging on the fact that I "plagiarised", he loses on all other arguments and therefore if he cannot prove his case, the vote should go to the negative in this debate.
1 votes has been placed for this debate.
Vote Placed by WriterSelbe 5 years ago
|Agreed with before the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Agreed with after the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Who had better conduct:||-||-||1 point|
|Had better spelling and grammar:||-||-||1 point|
|Made more convincing arguments:||-||-||3 points|
|Used the most reliable sources:||-||-||2 points|
|Total points awarded:||4||0|
Reasons for voting decision: Plagiarism is awful. He has every right to cling to the fact you plagiarised. Try paraphrasing next time and citing. Since Pro's arguments were his own, his were more convincing. He also gets conduct.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.