DevarD
TheBlueWizard

abortion

DevarD

Con

1. Abortion is never a mere personal choice but a grave offense against God and His creation. The anti-abortion struggle has always been a religious battle and foremost in its ranks have been Catholics across the country. This is because Church teaching on abortion is clear and unequivocal: Abortion is murder. There are no exceptions allowed, no compromises possible

2. The most horrible war of all has gone all but unnoticed. This is a war going on within our own borders, and it has claimed 56 million American lives in the last 41 years.
This is abortion. By destroying the most basic human bond of all"that between mother and child"abortion dissolves the precious glue that binds our nation together.

11 million people were killed during the Holocaust (1.1 million children). 6 million of those victims were Jewish. Other groups targeted by the Nazis were Jehovah's Witnesses, homosexuals, disabled people, and Gypsies. 11. abortion killed more than 4 times that many people, yet no one is making any noise against it except the church!

3. This is the definition given in any respectable medical textbook. To declare a beginning of life at any point after the fusing of a wife"s egg and a husband"s contribution is irrational and an exercise in sophistical chicanery. Only machines such as clocks and cars come into existence part by part. Living beings come into existence all at once and gradually unfold their world of innate potential. A living human person begins to exist at the moment of conception, even though only as a cell. What is important is not the accident of size or weight but the essence " which is fully human. The unborn baby has a distinct, unchanging and unrepeatable genetic code, unique in all of history, from the moment of conception till death. Nothing is added except nutrition and oxygen.

4.Abortion is a sin that perpetuates evil. The abortion mentality destroys the family by making it more difficult for new Americans who survive beyond the womb to find the family welded together by the indissoluble bond of marriage solely between a man and a woman. Children need families that will nurture them, guard their innocence and develop their personalities. In particular, all children must find within their homes the Faith that enables them to know, love and serve God in this world and be happy with Him forever in the next. As long as the traditional family remains in crisis, we will never sever the power lines that supply the abortion mills. As long as the Faith remains dead in souls, we will never wipe out the moral rot of sexual immorality, which is the contaminated soil where the abortion movement grows and flourishes.

5. TO ABORTIONISTS IN AMERICA. You were once an enchanting child, as all babies are. Today you are an abortionist, a killer of babies. Do you not regret your wicked deeds? Do you not see the innocent blood of our children that stains your hands and cries out to God? Have you no shame as did our first parents when they sinned against God? Why do you not turn to Him today, seek His forgiveness and His strength never again to murder the innocent? Would you not rather bring children into the world than destroy them? Children you could raise with respect for life to take the place of those you robbed from God?

6.Yesterday it was contraception. Today it's abortion and same-sex "marriage." Will it be widespread euthanasia tomorrow? Then what...? Once abortion is universally accepted, what logical arguments will stop euthanasia and other forms of murder and brutality?
TheBlueWizard

Pro

First I will be rebutting my opponent's case then proceeding to state my own.

Rebut 1
My opponent's main point here is that abortion is wrong because it is a sin against God. This can be dismissed for a whole host of reasons:
1) The United States of America (As was mentioned in the rant, so I assume we are arguing within the context of the USA) is not a christian nation, as explicitly stated in Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli [1] "the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion."
2) My opponent has yet to prove the existence of their God
3) They have given us no reason to think God is against it
4) They have given us no reason to listen to their God

Rebut 2
There is no reason to consider fetuses Americans. I'll get to that in my second contention.

Rebut 3
You state it's from a respectable medical text book, but you give no source. For that, that definition of life can be dismissed. Also, this will be addressed in my second contention.

P.S. I don't think any "respectable medical textbook" would refer to the mother as "wife," as that is in no way a medical necessity for pregnancy.

Rebut 4
Instead of debating the topic, you infused it with stuff that has nothing to with abortion. This is so full with Hyper-Christian Conservative babble that it's just nonsensical.

Rebut 5
Ad Hominem attack fallacy with a healthy dose of prostilization.

Rebut 6
Slippery slope fallacy.

Now onto my own arguments.

Contention 1
Abortion should be permitted due to bodily autonomy. Bodily autonomy is apart of most modern philosophy and our legal system. No person can force you to use your body in a way you don't want to. For example, if there is a man dying who needs a kidney, and I'm the only available donor, no one can force me to give my organ. Is it a kind of a crappy thing for me to do? Maybe, but the point is no one can force me to. The same goes for pregnant women. Giving a fetus all the rights of a human being, it has no right to interfere with bodily autonomy. The pregnancy is dependent on the continuing consent of the mother, and the moment the mother no longer consents to the fetus using her organs, and abortion can legally and morally take place.

Contention 2
Abortion should be permitted due to the fact that "living" is not the same thing as "sentient". My opponent has made a big fuss over whether or not the fetus is alive. This, however, isn't the important question, whether or not it's sentient is. A cow is alive, but not necessarily sentient. It's not intelligent life. The same goes for trees, and vegetables and birds. We try our hardest not to kill sentient things, because intelligent life means something. It's what makes one different from a rock or bush. The fact that you can have complex thought and emotion and discover things is what gives you worth as a person. A fetus does not express the qualities of sentience. It has the potential, sure, but that's not the same thing. When ending a pregnancy, it's not murder because you aren't killing anything sentient.

I await your rebuttals,
TheBlueWizard

[1] http://avalon.law.yale.edu...
DevarD

Con

DevarD forfeited this round.
TheBlueWizard

Pro

Because my opponent did not address my contentions they all stand. Because my opponent did not address any of my rebuttals they are valid and her cases fall.
DevarD

Con

DevarD forfeited this round.
TheBlueWizard

Pro

TheBlueWizard forfeited this round.
Posted by TheBlueWizard 2 years ago
TheBlueWizard
If you have a point to make then make it in the debate. You don't get extra time to rant because you're angry and on the Internet. Make your case in a structured manor so we can debate like civilized human beings.
Posted by Cosgrover 2 years ago
Cosgrover
Abortion is a personal choice, personally I believe if you don't want a baby, DON'T GET PREGNANT, there are many contraceptive methods out there, but there are many circumstances that I would agree to, such as an under developed Foetus (maybe missing skull or brain portions), but regardless of that it has nothing to do with "God" AT ALL. They are not "Gods" creations (they are not Jesus - being the only immaculate conception from the apparent "God".) they are created from a make up of the parents genes. if I Believed in God (which I don't) I would like to think that if he had created everyone of us we would have far fewer flaws than we do.