talisa77
condeelmaster

abortion

condeelmaster

talisa77

Con

Abortion is wrong, there are many other things you can do than to kill the innocent child inside of you, like adoption. If killing a human being is wrong, then why isn't abortion? Abortion is murder, you are killing the child that is inside of you and that child is human.
condeelmaster

Pro

I accept the challenge, thanks for the debate!!

As you are the one proving something, you have to start.

Good luck!
talisa77

Con

Like I said before abortion is murder and as every child was ever told, murder is horrible, nasty and cruel. Murdering a man is the same thing as murdering a woman or a child, which goes the same as your unborn child inside of you. Now I know I am getting a little religious when I say this but A baby is often considered as a God"s gift, and it"s believed that every living being has a purpose behind his/her birth. By messing with a life, aren"t we acting against the creator of the world, and us?

Now lets say that you are to young to have a child or not prepared, but want a child in the long run, well having an abortion done always carries the risk of not being able to become pregnant ever again in life.
condeelmaster

Pro

I get Con's argument but it's based upon one unproved assumption: a fetus is a human.

If a fetus is a human, then obviously abortion is wrong, abortion is murder. The problem here is that a fetus is not a human.

Let's examine what differences humans. Humans have consciousnes, that's the human essence. Humans can be aware, they are capable of reasoning and philosophizing. That's the human definition: reasoning animals. But what enables us to be that? What enables us to unlock the capacity of reasoning? The brain.

Our brain is what makes us capable of reasoning, is what makes us humans in the first place. Then to know if something is human you have to see if it has a brain and if it has brain activity (because having a non functioning brain is like not having a brain).

"The thalamo-cortical complex that provides consciousness with its highly elaborate content, begins to be in place between the 24th and 28th week of gestation. Roughly two months later synchrony of the electroencephalographic (EEG) rhythm across both cortical hemispheres signals the onset of global neuronal integration. Thus, many of the circuit elements necessary for consciousness are in place by the third trimester. "

Then, we can say that a non born baby becomes a human by the third trimester.

Therefore, a abortion is wrong when it happens after this. So, before this moment, abortion is not wrong.

"A baby is often considered as a God"s gift, and it"s believed that every living being has a purpose behind his/her birth. By messing with a life, aren"t we acting against the creator of the world, and us?"

Well, this part is really subjective. This assumes god does exist. As an agnostic atheist, I discard this. I can respect belief, but don't let belief affect reason.

"having an abortion done always carries the risk of not being able to become pregnant ever again in life."

This is not true nowadays. Modern medicine can handle abortions without that risk. I mean, the risk of being incapable of having a baby exists, but is pretty little compared to the risk caused by other daily activities we do (us alcohol, tobacco, and others).

On balance, as far as it's before the development previously explained, abortion is not killing a human, thus it's not wrong.

Looking forward to Con's rebuttals. Cheers!

- Scientifc American
- Meditations on First Philosophy - Descartes
- Plato and Aristotle works
talisa77

Con

Another thing that is a bad thing about abortion is that it can lead to, unwanted memories, which can result into great stress and depression. Some women experience a feeling of guilt, which lasts for their whole lifetime. In short, abortion can turn out to be a lifetime worth of burden, it leads the person to be not only depressed but the person can end up suicidal because of the fact that they did take a life, a life that could have became something much more than just a fetus. After all, abortion implies denying someone a well-deserved life. Just because the odds are not in our favor, can we deprive someone the chance to live?

There are many options other than abortion that people can do, adoption is a viable alternative to abortion and accomplishes the same result. And with 1.5 million American families wanting to adopt a child, there is no such thing as an unwanted child. So to be technical there are other options than taking something that could be someone's life.

Now I also understand the people who have been raped and ended up pregnant and cannot bear to have a child, but In the instance of rape and incest, proper medical care can ensure that a woman will not get pregnant. Abortion punishes the unborn child who committed no crime; instead, it is the perpetrator who should be punished.
condeelmaster

Pro

Interestingly, my opponent did not rebut my arguments. As I have the burden of proof, if my arguments are not refuted, the resolution is proved.

"Another thing that is a bad thing about abortion is that it can lead to, unwanted memories, which can result into great stress and depression."

I can't deny that. However is also true that having a child can lead to stress and depression. As a matter of fact, having children will definitely cause you stress. Then that doesn't prove me wrong.

"Now I also understand the people who have been raped and ended up pregnant and cannot bear to have a child, but In the instance of rape and incest, proper medical care can ensure that a woman will not get pregnant."

This is not true. If you got pregnant there's no other way of ensure that you will no longer be pregnant than abortion.
If someone rape you and you got pregnant, there's no way proper medical care can ensure you will not get pregnant, you've already got pregnant!!

"There are many options other than abortion that people can do"

Having options doesn't prove abortion is wrong.

Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: CapAhab// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Pro (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Con opponent did not rebut pro arguments

[*Reason for removal*] The voter needs to do more than just state what the losing side failed to do. Without examining the burden of proof or Pro's arguments, the vote only begs the question of why Pro's arguments were sufficient for the voter to affirm.
************************************************************************
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: kkjnay// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Pro (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Another abortion debate yay! Con did not refute Pro's points therefore Pro wins.

Vote Placed by PossieTV 10 months ago
PossieTV
talisa77condeelmasterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con and Pro both had some small spelling and grammar errors so therefore I won't give the spelling and grammar points to anyone. I must give the argument point to Pro because he showed that resolution of this debate is whether or not the fetus is a human. Pro gives a convincing argument as to why they are not human but Con doesn't even address it. She gives no evidence or reason as to why the fetus is a human being. I gave Pro the sources point because he used a reliable scientific source to make his argument while Con did not use any sources.
Vote Placed by JOHNCENA1738 10 months ago
JOHNCENA1738
talisa77condeelmasterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was not able to refute Pro's statements. Con also did not point out the holes in Pro's main attack: that a fetus is not a human. In one of his statements he makes the assumption that a fetus is not a human because it does not have consciousness, and states a false claim that the definition of a human is: reasoning animals. That is why pro did not get points for sources.