sophieforander
MaxLamperouge

abortion

MaxLamperouge

sophieforander

Pro

I think every women has the right to chose what they want to do with their body.
MaxLamperouge

Con

Since my opponent has failed to provide definitions for this debate - I will do so here.
Definitions-
Abortion: the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy
Right: a moral or legal entitlement to have or obtain something or to act in a certain way.
Body: the physical structure of a person or an animal, including the bones, flesh, and organs.
Alive: (of a person, animal, or plant) living, not dead.
Living: having life; living; existing; not dead or lifeless.

I will be posting my main argument in the second round, but I challenge Pro to answer these questions for me.
Pro, what makes a child alive?
Why is the fetus a part of the woman's human body?
Is it not a separate body?
Why does she have a moral or legal entitlement to the fetus's body?
Why does she have the moral entitlement to terminate the fetus?
Can the fetus feel pain?
How can you be sure?

Anyways, I look forward to the second round of this debate.
sophieforander

Pro

sophieforander forfeited this round.
MaxLamperouge

Con

My opponent has forfeit.

I will fulfill by BOP by providing three arguments against abortion.
1. Abortion is murder. The killing of an innocent human being is wrong, even if that human being has yet to be born. Unborn babies are considered human beings by the US government. The federal Unborn Victims of Violence Act, which was enacted "to protect unborn children from assault and murder," states that under federal law, anybody intentionally killing or attempting to kill an unborn child should "be punished... for intentionally killing or attempting to kill a human being." The act also states that an unborn child is a "member of the species homo sapiens." [126] At least 38 states have passed similar fetal homicide laws. [127] - National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL), "Fetal Homicide Laws," ncsl.org, Feb. 2013

2. Allowing abortion conflicts with the unalienable right to life recognized by the Founding Fathers of the United States. The Declaration of Independence states that "[A]ll men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." [51] Abortion takes away from the unborn the unalienable right to life that the Founding Fathers intended for all human beings. [115]
- Penny Young Nance, "Celebrate Life, Embrace Grace...End Abortion," foxnews.com, Jan. 23, 2012

3. Abortion disproportionately affects African American babies. In the United States, black women are 3.3 times as likely as white women to have an abortion, according to the Guttmacher Institute. [68] In New York City in 2012, more black babies were aborted (31,328) than had live births (24,758). [77]
- New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, "Summary of Vital Statistics 2012: The City of New York: Pregnancy Outcomes," nyc.gov, Feb. 2014

For these reasons, abortion is bad and should not be allowed.
Thank you,
Max Lamperouge
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 7 months ago
dsjpk5
sophieforanderMaxLamperougeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff a round, so conduct to Con. Also, Con was the only one who made an argument, so arguments to Con by default.
Vote Placed by Anjou 7 months ago
Anjou
sophieforanderMaxLamperougeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Though I'm pro-choice, Pro didn't adequately defend their position and therefore Con wins on conduct, spelling and grammar, and convincing arguments.