tylerriggs999
Geogeer

abortions

Geogeer

tylerriggs999

Pro

should abortions be legal in cases where the female just doesnt want to keep the baby
and if they cannot take care of the baby should the fetus be aborted
Geogeer

Con

To keep things even with my worthy opponent (this is his first time after all) I will keep my opening statement brief as well.

Biology reveals that a new human being comes into existence at fertilization. Abortion is the intentional destruction of an innocent human being and is thus akin to murder.

I look forward to the arguments my opponent will put forth in Round 2.
tylerriggs999

Pro

It is not murder if the baby is aborted at an early enough age that there is no brain function how can anything be alive if there is no cognitive ability to function
Geogeer

Con

In keeping with the style of Pro I will keep the arguments brief.

A new member of the homo sapiens species comes into being when the sperm and egg join resulting in the zygote. Before the zygote even implants in the mother's womb there have been 70 to 100 cell divisions. [1] Words like fetus, zygote etc. are merely technical terms to denote age and development, not whether it is human or not. The average life of a human (barring any problems) is:

zygote -> embryo -> fetus -> baby -> infant -> toddler -> youth -> teenager -> adult -> elderly

This is the same organism at every stage of life.

Our system of law is also based on the existence of fundamental human rights. The US Founding Fathers described these fundamental rights in the declaration of independence: [2]

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

The order that the rights are listed in is important because they go in progression from the most fundamental. One cannot pursue happiness if one doesn't have liberty. One has no liberty if they don't have the right to life. The right to life is the most fundamental right anybody has. All other rights are built upon this. If you do not have this right, you have no rights at all.

If a right is inalienable that means that it is yours by default; no government can grant it to you. If this was a right that a government has the authority to grant it is also a right that the government could revoke. Thus the earlier truth in the Declaration is that everyone is created equal.

Now if a right is unalienable then it is illogical that it does not belong to the same organism at every stage of life. You either have fundamental rights or you do not. This is not to be confused with privileges granted by the state such as the right to drive, vote, etc...

To deny the fundamental rights to the unborn is simply another form of discrimination like sexism or racism. This is a prejudice based solely on a single characteristic of the other person that attempts to dehumanize them in one fashion or another.

My final argument will be that the Law already recognizes the responsibility of parents to provide for the needs of their children:

Failure to Provide the Necessities of Life: Everyone is under a legal duty as a parent, foster parent, guardian or head of a family, to provide necessaries of life for a child under the age of sixteen years. [3]

Now if the woman wishes to pass legal guardianship of the child off to someone else (adoption) then she is fully entitled to do that once she can safely do so.

First Degree Murder: Murder occurs where the person who causes the death of a human being means to cause his death, or means to cause him bodily harm that he knows is likely to cause his death, and is reckless whether death ensues or not. [4]

As such I contend that abortion is the most egregious violation of the rights of the young human being. Abortions kills an innocent human being and is thus basically murder.

[1] http://courses.washington.edu...
[2] http://www.ushistory.org...
[3] http://en.wikibooks.org...
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org...(Canadian_law)
tylerriggs999

Pro

i ceceade to your opinion
Geogeer

Con

I thank pro for his concession to my position. And I wish him luck as a new member of DDO.
Posted by tylerriggs999 2 years ago
tylerriggs999
i have indeed
Posted by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
I wish you luck on this site. Don't get discouraged from this, but learn from it.

Additionally, I hope that this has taught you to understand the Pro-Life argument better.
Posted by tylerriggs999 2 years ago
tylerriggs999
thank you and good luck
Posted by tylerriggs999 2 years ago
tylerriggs999
Good luck
Posted by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
Well the purpose of a debate is to learn. Each side puts forth the best arguments they have. So just because you do not currently know much doesn't mean that you will not learn through the debate.

Good luck!
Posted by tylerriggs999 2 years ago
tylerriggs999
yeah and i should have picked an easier topic than abortions i know pretty much nothing about them except they were legalized in the states in 1973
Posted by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
Sorry with my work schedule I cannot do a 12 hour turn around. 48 is the least I can commit to with 72 being preferential.
Posted by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
You have to understand that the way many people debate on this site. They look for the tiniest exception to the argument and declare victory. I personally believe that it is wrong to do and an abuse of the trust of the other debater. However it is what it is. That is why I'm helping you to learn to define exactly what you mean. That is critical in the debating process.

Some of them are smart, many are just clever.
Posted by tylerriggs999 2 years ago
tylerriggs999
yeah everyone seems so smart on this site
Posted by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
Don't worry about being new at this. We are all new at stuff all the time!
Vote Placed by Hello83433 2 years ago
Hello83433
tylerriggs999GeogeerTied
Reasons for voting decision: A concession? At least go down with a fight... Meanwhile great sources Con! And wonderful arguments overall.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Actionsspeak
tylerriggs999GeogeerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession, but Con had sources.
Vote Placed by Dakota-Hiltzman 2 years ago
Dakota-Hiltzman
tylerriggs999GeogeerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago
Krazzy_Player
tylerriggs999GeogeerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro never made proper arguments plus concession.